First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
If I won't see delivery until end of 2022 and into 2023 for the trim and color I want, I'm seriously considering a hybrid or EV as the next sports car. With current gasoline prices, getting tired of the cost and maint of ICE.

Looking and watching on this development, if anything solid by 2023:

"The alternative may be a modified version of the VW Group’s PPE (Premium Platform Electric) which is used by the Macan EV while the rest of the Macan line-up uses the MLP underpinnings.
This could see Cayman follow the same strategy as Macan, with a Cayman EV upon PPE alongside hybrid/ICE versions that use the MMB platform, tapping into the hybrid 911’s components where possible to keep within 718’s price point and sate traditional buyers."

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/2023-porsche-cayman-electric

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
If I don't get mine by then I'll be in another Z... a C7Z.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I think all of us, even though we say we may get something else, and we may, we'd probably end up getting a new Z later on down the road.

It looks like the new 2022 Tundra is already rolling off the assembly lines for Dec 2021 deliveries...so I may buy one of those for now. And likely get a Z right before the model is terminated.

I am not interested in an EV at all.

I think those of you considering an EV will end up keeping an interesting ICE vehicle around. There's no way a car enthusiast would be happy with a quiet EV. The gut-wrenching acceleration actually gets old real quick.

Gobby

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
The Z will be my last ICE car, once I get an EV daily driver I'll be doing full conversion on the Z from daily driver to drift missile

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
even if the z rolls out on time, i feel dealer markups will delay it for many of us...especially with the current crazy used car prices...

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
If I won't see delivery until end of 2022 and into 2023 for the trim and color I want, I'm seriously considering a hybrid or EV as the next sports car. With current gasoline prices, getting tired of the cost and maint of ICE.

Looking and watching on this development, if anything solid by 2023:

"The alternative may be a modified version of the VW Group’s PPE (Premium Platform Electric) which is used by the Macan EV while the rest of the Macan line-up uses the MLP underpinnings.
This could see Cayman follow the same strategy as Macan, with a Cayman EV upon PPE alongside hybrid/ICE versions that use the MMB platform, tapping into the hybrid 911’s components where possible to keep within 718’s price point and sate traditional buyers."

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/2023-porsche-cayman-electric
What current EV would you consider a "Sports" car? I can't think of any. Yes, many examples very fast in a straight line, but I don't see any compelling options that will be fun on the track (the kind with corners). Today EV's are still too heavy.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I'd entertain an EV or Hybrid Cayman around $60k... it just sounds too good to be true for what you'd hope to get. I can see it alongside 1-2 significantly more expensive models that make a base electric Cayman pretty undesirable.

Realistically I'll wait it out and get the Z. I was planning to avoid the first model year anyway and had originally hoped to pick one up in Fall/Winter 2022. Given that we have no real info on a Nismo model yet, I'll just assume that I won't be getting a new car until Q1-Q2 2023 at the earliest. I'm able to find something wrong (for me) with every other new car in this price range. Maybe the market will normalize by then, it gives me more time to save for closer to 50%+ down, and have one less insurance premium for a while longer.

I get that people are excited and anxious to get the new Z, and really any brand new car for that matter, but to me unless you really must buy a new car right now or in the next 6 months, then you're better off being patient and waiting to see how this all plays out. If you live in a country where dealers can't charge ADM then it makes a little more sense to me. I'll sink $5-10k into my current car before handing that kind of cash over to a dealership for no good reason.

Last edited:

BJM2021

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2
I tend to agree with this, I have a deposit down at my local dealer, but gas is so frikken expensive here and EV’s are taking iff like crazy, so makes me re-think it…

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Still a lot of time between now and Spring 2022. A lot can happen.

Assuming nothing goes sideways (i.e. markups, which I refuse to put weight into until we know it'll be a problem - we gotta stop manifesting stuff like that), I very much intend to get my mitts on one. We're a single car household right now, and the intent is to shift—pun slightly intended—to where the Z is my baby and the better half takes the current car.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Still a lot of time between now and Spring 2022. A lot can happen.

Assuming nothing goes sideways (i.e. markups, which I refuse to put weight into until we know it'll be a problem - we gotta stop manifesting stuff like that), I very much intend to get my mitts on one. We're a single car household right now, and the intent is to shift—pun slightly intended—to where the Z is my baby and the better half takes the current car.
You're right, ADM on the Z is just an assumption just like I'm assuming no one will get one for under MSRP, but who knows. It feels like just yesterday that I'd walk out of a dealership if they were asking MSRP and now look at it ?

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
You're right, ADM on the Z is just an assumption just like I'm assuming no one will get one for under MSRP, but who knows. It feels like just yesterday that I'd walk out of a dealership if they were asking MSRP and now look at it ?
Lol, yeah...

I try to take a cautious sense of optimism with situations like this, and reserve worrying about something until we know for sure it needs to be something to worry over. There's enough stress contributors in life, ya know?

But I'm with y'all - it's hard to not contemplate other options. I just worry if I go after the instantaneous gratification of, say, a GR86, I won't be truly happy with what I ultimately want (the Z). Maybe another update from Nissan will help satiate us some. LA Auto Show is on until Sunday, would think they would have announced by now if they were going to use it as a launchpad for news.

HLS30-49788

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 GT-R, 1997 Nissan pickup
Occupation
Looooong retired
Altho I live in a Dallas suburb and don't want to be associated in any way with Vanilla Ice who is from another local 'burb, I gotta say "ICE, ICE, Baby". I'm keeping my 2009 GT-R with a 3.8L twin-turbo ICE. You'll have to take my cold dead foot off the gas pedal. [Good thing I'll be 81 next month so I can make it happen.]

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
Altho I live in a Dallas suburb and don't want to be associated in any way with Vanilla Ice who is from another local 'burb, I gotta say "ICE, ICE, Baby". I'm keeping my 2009 GT-R with a 3.8L twin-turbo ICE. You'll have to take my cold dead foot off the gas pedal. [Good thing I'll be 81 next month so I can make it happen.]
I wouldn't get rid of the GT-R either!!

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
How reliable has your '09 first year GT-R been? Any autocross or track use? Any feedback appreciated, I may grab one of these Performance or Black Edition if the Z will be a long wait. thanks!