The Death of the Sedan

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ There are a lot of places saying the Kia Stinger is being cancelled, but possible that it is simply the current model ending and a new one is coming (likely hybrid or fully electric).

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
Mazda6 is coming back in 2022 as a 2023 model with 3L inline6(turbo?, skyactiv-X)+48V+8speed... Mazda is a company of nerds. They don't give up easily.... think rotary engine. Good or bad. They keep trying.
Certain Lexus sedan models will share the same chassis/engines from new Mazda6.
Has that been confirmed? The last time I was at a Mazda dealership, they had one Mazda 6 in a sea of CX-whatever SUV/CUVs, and barely any interest in selling one to me.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
It seems that Mazda might have changed that plan due to supply shortage... high demand vehicles go first. i.e. SUVs (CX-60/70/80/90)

Brickyard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 QX50 '13 Escalade Platinum '03 350 Z Touring
Just Put on Roof Rails & replace the Trunk with a Hatch on these dying Sedan Platforms and call 'em . . . " Crossovers " . . . . . It might keep 'em on life support for a few more model years

fullsizeoutput_3ec.jpeg

It also helps to have a Naturally Aspirated, VQHR, 325 HP V6 traditionally Mounted - RWD ( AWD available w/ RWD Bias ) with Down Shift Rev Matching 7 Spd Auto you can slap around manually that makes Angry Noises outta the big Chrome Dual Exhaust Outlets when punched . . .

Perhaps calling 'em Shooting Brakes or Hatch Wagons can help the Sedan Redisgns as well ?

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
^ Few people actually want these stupid big SUV / crossover models, but some numb-nut in car planning decided it was the future and then manufacturers started pushing them on the public with little other choice. :(
'Little other choice'? We literally had every other choice, but the consumers have spoken. If sedans were what everyone and their grandma were clamoring for, manufacturers would happily sell us them 'til the end of time.

Not sure how you figure that few people actually want crossovers, when it is categorically the #1 seller in the USA...

1654012568688.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/276506/change-in-us-car-demand-by-vehicle-type/#:~:text=Crossovers are Americans' favorite type,States as of June 2021.

Just curious, what is your aversion to crossovers? Do you have some kind of special attachment to sedans? I mean, hey, totally fine if you do.. Everybody's got their preference. I just personally find sedans to be the absolute least appealing kind of car I could possibly drive.

Just an anecdote, my friend bought a new Hyundai Kona a little over a year ago. That thing gets 38 mpg on the highway. Crossover SUVs make sedans obsolete for a lot of people when it comes to practicality.

The same is happening with electric cars, although that's largely due to government enforcement to keep the Greenies happy (despite the fact that electric cars are just as bad if not worse for the environment).
Just because anti-EVers keep saying it, doesn't make it true.

Last edited:

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
the #1 seller in the USA
It's not hard to be #1 when there's little other choice ... that was the entire point. Manufacturers decided that the buyers wanted a bigger car, so that's what they replaced their regular cars with. Nobody actually asked the buyers. :( The reality is that the bigger car means the manufacturer and the dealer can charge more for it.

It's the same with most car makers' colour choices. The manufactures (or their over-paid consultants) decide what this year's "most fashionable" colours will be, and buyers don't get much choice. Few people want a banana yellow car or a day-glow orange car, and most "experts" will advise staying away from such colours because the resell value is much lower, yet manufacturers are churning out banana yellow cars by the ton because they decided it was "trendy" this year.

Just because anti-EVers keep saying it, doesn't make it true.
Just because deluded greeny EV-fanatics keep saying the opposite doesn't make that true. Most are blinkered by the "zero emissions" nonsense, which is only about 1/100th of the story.

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
It's not hard to be #1 when there's little other choice ... that was the entire point.
My point is that I think your argument puts the cart before the horse.

Just because deluded greeny EV-fanatics keep saying the opposite doesn't make that true. Most are blinkered by the "zero emissions" nonsense, which is only about 1/100th of the story.
Strawman argument. Nobody serious is saying that EVs are zero emissions in their entirety or have no negative impact on the environment. Regardless, having zero emissions even just at the point of operation is not an insignificant thing either, especially in large metropolitan cities where a sizeable amount of pollution comes from cars idling or moving slooowly in traffic. Even if you don't believe it's worse for the environment than an EV in that same situation, it's just an absolute waste of energy/fuel.