The All-New 2022 Subaru WRX (Teased)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
If this is comments by their enthusiasts I’d say they are in a world of pain.
Some in this thread may want to add a bit or take bits away but in general we are happy.l.this means they listened to what their fans wanted, and that will in the long term benefit them

Rise of the Nissan I say
Some other sentiments about the WRX and Subaru in general are that since Mitsubishi bailed years ago, Subaru has zero competition (in their own eyes) in this particular segment. Additionally, Subaru is printing money with their mainstream cars. They have enjoyed bonkers success (at least in USA) with lame vehicles, and nearly almost every buyer of their lame vehicles never owned and could care less about the WRX, past or present. It's almost like Subaru either wants the fanboys to go away, or they want to offer a WRX that'll appeal to their slightly spicier Crosstrek clientele by making the WRX look like a Crosstrek. And that may just work. Subaru may alienate many WRX loyalists, but they may pick up even more customers who are attracted to the Crosstrek and don't have a hangup about hatchback.

Really, all the new WRX is, just a variant of their global platform chassis with a now common 2.4T engine used in many different Subarus. It's not that special anymore, and making it look like a Crosstrek sedan further reinforces that.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
What in the mother fuck am I looking at? Literally looks like a Crosstrek sedan. FOH, Subaru... you're drunk.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Some other sentiments about the WRX and Subaru in general are that since Mitsubishi bailed years ago, Subaru has zero competition (in their own eyes) in this particular segment. Additionally, Subaru is printing money with their mainstream cars. They have enjoyed bonkers success (at least in USA) with lame vehicles, and nearly almost every buyer of their lame vehicles never owned and could care less about the WRX, past or present. It's almost like Subaru either wants the fanboys to go away, or they want to offer a WRX that'll appeal to their slightly spicier Crosstrek clientele by making the WRX look like a Crosstrek. And that may just work. Subaru may alienate many WRX loyalists, but they may pick up even more customers who are attracted to the Crosstrek and don't have a hangup about hatchback.

Really, all the new WRX is, just a variant of their global platform chassis with a now common 2.4T engine used in many different Subarus. It's not that special anymore, and making it look like a Crosstrek sedan further reinforces that.
Yeah, this is spot on. I've always loved the WRX lineup, but absolute butt fumbles like this really make me wish Mitsubishi would bring back the Evo.

The only article that I've seen regarding competition compared them to the GTI/Golf R - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37542920/2022-subaru-wrx-vs-vw-gti-golf-r/

They go further to state something along the lines of, "the STI will be even more powerful" but honestly who cares - it'll be lipstick on a pig.

Moments like this really make me appreciate Nissan keeping this segment alive.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
If Toyota brings us the 296HP AWD Corolla GR hatchback, that'll really be a smack in the face of Subaru.
BTW, the Corolla Hatchback looks 100x better than the new WRX, and with the GR treatment will be that much better looking.

+1 on Nissan giving a fuck, they literally gave the enthusiasts what they want, a 2 seater twin turbo death missile

DarkPhysicx

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'10 Mazda 3 Sport HB
Occupation
RN
This guy made a few tweaks and made it look way better in my opinion, still eh but fixes a lot of my issues with it. He made tail lights thinner and lit up the plain black bar, exhaust tips higher to fit housing, duck tail instead of weird spoiler thing, bigger wheels, and lowered the tall diffuser.
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 1.59.50 AM.png

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
This guy made a few tweaks and made it look way better in my opinion, still eh but fixes a lot of my issues with it. He made tail lights thinner and lit up the plain black bar, exhaust tips higher to fit housing, duck tail instead of weird spoiler thing, bigger wheels, and lowered the tall diffuser.
Nah…now it looks like a civic…and I’m not talking the type R
There is no fixing something that ugly ?

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
If Toyota brings us the 296HP AWD Corolla GR hatchback, that'll really be a smack in the face of Subaru.
BTW, the Corolla Hatchback looks 100x better than the new WRX, and with the GR treatment will be that much better looking.

+1 on Nissan giving a fuck, they literally gave the enthusiasts what they want, a 2 seater twin turbo death missile
I hope Toyota sees it as a prime opportunity to strike a competitor while they're down and does just that.
fry.gif

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I don't think I've seen any initial reactions that have been good. Even generally upbeat/positive reviewers like Raiti just...shredded the thing

Surely Subaru expected this - I can't imagine a world in which this is a surprise to them - so perhaps they really just don't care about the demo anymore and really are trying to sway over non-WRX Subaru owners/interested parties.