Sponsored

Stock OEM Intake Filters Restrictive ?

zeroptzero

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joey
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Threads
11
Messages
149
Reaction score
125
Location
Ontario
Car(s)
26 Z
Looking at the OEM intake filters today they kind of look restrictive to me. You have the paper filter with a synthetic prefilter material on the front side of it. I wasn't expecting to see a pre-filter on the paper filter. I know on my Subaru BRZ they had a double filter, the one part of it was often referred to as a diaper, and removing the diaper resulted in some pretty good power gains. Does anyone think the factory filters are restrictive ? , or perhaps it doesn't matter as much on boosted setups ?
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
1,910
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
The OEM paper filters are garbage. Replace them ASAP with something that can actually let the turbos breath.
 
OP
OP

zeroptzero

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joey
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Threads
11
Messages
149
Reaction score
125
Location
Ontario
Car(s)
26 Z
The OEM paper filters are garbage. Replace them ASAP with something that can actually let the turbos breath.
Yeah they strike me as being very restrictive just looking at them.
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
1,910
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
Yeah they strike me as being very restrictive just looking at them.
Z1, K&N, and aFe all sell drop-in panel replacements if you're wanting to stay stock-ish. Otherwise, there's a plethora of aftermarket intake offerings available.
 

sarge

Well-Known Member
First Name
steve
Joined
Aug 15, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
137
Reaction score
161
Location
Western Slope Colorado
Car(s)
2024 Z Sport
Occupation
Retired Army
I’ve watched several videos and there there seems to be a trade off, the better it breathes the filtering is less. I’m in a desert environment so I’m really hesitant to go with a more free flowing air filter.

If I lived in a normal area like Midwest or east with less sand and dust I’d switch. You used to live in Texas, have you found any difference in the filter life between the 2 locations?
 
OP
OP

zeroptzero

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joey
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Threads
11
Messages
149
Reaction score
125
Location
Ontario
Car(s)
26 Z
I’ve watched several videos and there there seems to be a trade off, the better it breathes the filtering is less. I’m in a desert environment so I’m really hesitant to go with a more free flowing air filter.

If I lived in a normal area like Midwest or east with less sand and dust I’d switch. You used to live in Texas, have you found any difference in the filter life between the 2 locations?
I agree, I have always stayed away from oiled cotton filters because they do not filter as good as OEM filters, so there is a tradeoff for sure.
 
OP
OP

zeroptzero

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joey
Joined
Sep 7, 2026
Threads
11
Messages
149
Reaction score
125
Location
Ontario
Car(s)
26 Z
Z1, K&N, and aFe all sell drop-in panel replacements if you're wanting to stay stock-ish. Otherwise, there's a plethora of aftermarket intake offerings available.
Thanks, I will check out aFe and see what they offer, I know that I don't want a K&N or an aftermarket intake at this stage.
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,304
Reaction score
1,910
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
 






Top