Should Nissan make a 300hp base model Z?

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru

@17:58 @Dan_Passe said, "there's actually only one package ... with larger brakes ... with mechanical LSD .... and I have made that request"
@19:43 Dan Passe declared, " the Sport model ... gets 400hp ... 6sp MT.." This statement is actually CONTRADICTORY to his boss, Albaisa, and his statement below.
@23:30 Dan Passe said he doesn't know the actual performance spec of the Sport and Performance

If the Sport has smaller brakes (i.e. floating calipers), then it will get the 300hp motor from Q60.
If the Performance has the big brakes (i.e. Akebono fixed brakes), then it will get the 400hp motor from Q60 RS.

I'm guessing the Sport will go for $37,950; Performance will be $47,058 (24.0% higher). And the launch edition is $1K higher than Performance

Last edited:

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Since the official documents provided by Nissan state that both Sport/Performance get the 400hp motor, the thought might be that a 300hp "base" model might be released sometime after Spring or in parallel. As all manufacturer's are doing right now, the higher/more expensive models release first, then the less $ options come out after. (i.e, Supra, Tesla, Lucid, etc etc).

I doubt we'll get the Nismo surprise until later in 2022 as a 2023 model year.

Captain Drew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Subaru WRX
I thought we already all agreed he's talking about a potential NISMO version when he mentioned different levels of power. It's already confirmed that the sport and performance will both have 400hp.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru

@6:48 Nissan said the Sport will be their "entry level"

@1:30 Albasia said in the USA market, there will be the VR30 with different power output.

The unofficial specs of Sport and Performance is here.

300ZTT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback

supraboi

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GS300
That same Motoman video also has Albaisa saying there will be models with different levels of power. 400hp and a lesser version. He also admits this is the case for the US market.

Since the Q60 has 2 power variants 300hp and 400hp Red Sport, I'm speculating this will be the same for the Z. This is probably one of the reasons why they didn't call it the 400Z.

It would be incredible if Nissan could release a Red sport caliber Z for only $40k! Q60 Red Sport is like $58K btw.

Here's the video:
What he said was "there are versions of Z that don't have the same level of power". So in reality, that could mean lower or higher, but most people are suspecting a higher output for the Nismo Z.

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/t...w-with-alfonso-albaisa-nissan-z-designer.467/

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Since the official documents provided by Nissan state that both Sport/Performance get the 400hp motor, the thought might be that a 300hp "base" model might be released sometime after Spring or in parallel. As all manufacturer's are doing right now, the higher/more expensive models release first, then the less $ options come out after. (i.e, Supra, Tesla, Lucid, etc etc).

I doubt we'll get the Nismo surprise until later in 2022 as a 2023 model year.
Right, I'm also thinking there could be a cheaper 300hp base model after sales tanking a bit so help with sales volume.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I just skimmed through the press release link you posted. Is there anywhere that specifically says both sport and performance trims get the 400hp engine?

It would be awesome if Nissan released the Z with that powertrain for only $40K. It just sounds unrealistic and too good to be true.
The details were on the official Nissan communication that were released during the Z launch in NY. Screenshot below

Also link: https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/threads/sport-vs-performance-trims-spec-sheets.571/

Note that this says based on latest product info at that time (launch day). The only way this changes is there is another official document that comes out prior to Spring 2022 Release date explicitly stating differnet power levels. But to other's points, since we know this engine has been "detuned" to 300hp, from the 400hp, which in itself is a derivation of the VR38 from the GTR, multiple power levels isn't out of the question. Release dates, and additional product info is still up in the air. GTR Nismo power was up 6-8% over standard GTR, so assuming same power increase for Z Nismo, expect 423-432HP.

1635360305507.png

Captain Drew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Subaru WRX
I just skimmed through the press release link you posted. Is there anywhere that specifically says both sport and performance trims get the 400hp engine?

It would be awesome if Nissan released the Z with that powertrain for only $40K. It just sounds unrealistic and too good to be true.
Literally the specs tab on that page, the same one posted in the thread you linked. Try not skimming and actually paying attention to the info, you might even get a little more excited over the new Z. lol

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Occupation
Freeloader
We should give the guy a break. I’m sure we have all misread something and or didn’t look too closely at the fine print at some point or another.

300ZTT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Literally the specs tab on that page, the same one posted in the thread you linked. Try not skimming and actually paying attention to the info, you might even get a little more excited over the new Z. lol
Sorry didn't see there was tabs. I want to get more excited but just don't want to get my hopes up and be disappointed. 40k 400hp Z is unbelievably good value!

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier

Nissan has stated multiple times now that ALL 2023 Zs will have the same engine and output.

This entire notion of a lower output Z needs to be put to rest.