Sponsored

Share your tuning experience!

SleepyD7

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Apr 17, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
69
Reaction score
102
Location
Gainesville Florida
Car(s)
2024 Manual Nissan Z Performance, 2013 Nissan Xterra, 2020 Lexus IS3050
Occupation
Audio Video Integration Sales
I'd like to glean some more insights from you folks about your remote or in-person tuning experiences. Specifically, best practices for deciding when to tune, pro's and con's post tune, what features you gained or lost with your tune, cost benefit analysis in hindsight, and any other relevant stories or experiences. I see so much talk about hardware in isolation but my understanding is that a tune really unlocks the bolt-on's potential. Please feel free to link to a previous thread if this post is redundant. Thanks Much!
 

Tranzor Z

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
May 6, 2025
Threads
17
Messages
456
Reaction score
536
Location
Texas
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z
Best bang for your buck is a Stillen Trucontrol. Hands down the best tune!!!!
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,312
Reaction score
1,919
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
I used RaceBox in Houston, TX for a custom ECUTek dyno tune. They are one of the what I'll call big 3 tuners for the VR30, and the fact they were only 10 minutes away from my office at the time made it a no-brainer for me.

My experience was pretty seamless! Talked through a few things, dropped the car, and went back later that day to pick it up, got my dyno charts, etc. A few small part-throttle behaviors in the tune needed to be worked though after the fact, but those were simple reflashes done via email. Little things like that would have been caught during the initial remote tuning process. Each type of tuning comes with pros/cons, but I do prefer strapped to a dyno in a controlled environment for the WOT tuning portion.

I've been running that tune for the better part of a year now and have had no issues with it.

The other tuner I primarily considered was a remote-tune from AMS, but a remote-tune from SonicTuned is the other of the big three to consider. Every area has strong dyno tuners though, so don't be afraid to stray away from these three if you have someone local you trust with proven results and track record.
 
OP
OP
SleepyD7

SleepyD7

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Apr 17, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
69
Reaction score
102
Location
Gainesville Florida
Car(s)
2024 Manual Nissan Z Performance, 2013 Nissan Xterra, 2020 Lexus IS3050
Occupation
Audio Video Integration Sales
I used RaceBox in Houston, TX for a custom ECUTek dyno tune. They are one of the what I'll call big 3 tuners for the VR30, and the fact they were only 10 minutes away from my office at the time made it a no-brainer for me.

My experience was pretty seamless! Talked through a few things, dropped the car, and went back later that day to pick it up, got my dyno charts, etc. A few small part-throttle behaviors in the tune needed to be worked though after the fact, but those were simple reflashes done via email. Little things like that would have been caught during the initial remote tuning process. Each type of tuning comes with pros/cons, but I do prefer strapped to a dyno in a controlled environment for the WOT tuning portion.

I've been running that tune for the better part of a year now and have had no issues with it.

The other tuner I primarily considered was a remote-tune from AMS, but a remote-tune from SonicTuned is the other of the big three to consider. Every area has strong dyno tuners though, so don't be afraid to stray away from these three if you have someone local you trust with proven results and track record.
Yupper. K8 I saw your Z get tuned on Racebox's Youtube channel lol. Does the car feel a lot faster? Does it transition between WOT and stop and go smoothly like the stock car or are there some compromises you can think of?
 

KrackaC8

Well-Known Member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Nov 23, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
1,312
Reaction score
1,919
Location
Sioux City, IA
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance, 2024 Grand Cherokee, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Commodities
Yupper. K8 I saw your Z get tuned on Racebox's Youtube channel lol. Does the car feel a lot faster? Does it transition between WOT and stop and go smoothly like the stock car or are there some compromises you can think of?
Night & day faster...my wife doesn't like driving it anymore unless I flash the stock tune back on first!

No compromises whatsoever. The car behaves exactly as a modern car should regardless of weather/traffic conditions. Anything from tearing down the tollways at full throttle deep into the gears to commuting in the insane Houston congestion in brutal summer heat. Earlier this week I actually took a 576 mile business trip and averaged over 27 MPG.
 
 






Top