Reliability/Cost of Ownership of the new Z?

kittens

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none atm
if my research is correct, the new Z will have the same engine as the Infinti Q50/60 Red Sport (VR30), and the transmission carried over from the 370Z (manual), and for the auto, a 9-speed that is similar to the one in the mercedes.

Does anyone have knowledge of how these VR30 engines are holding up? I owned a 2009 370Z and it was a dream for 4 years until the 7-speed auto gave me a few issues.

what about the 9-speed? I know Nissan/Infiniti plan to use it in many other applications so hopefully it has been tested. I will probably end up going with the auto

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Nine gears just seems total overkill for a sports car, either you are shifting all the time (remember you can't skip gears with the auto) or you give up and just let the car do it,,,,

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Nine gears just seems total overkill for a sports car, either you are shifting all the time (remember you can't skip gears with the auto) or you give up and just let the car do it,,,,
I think 9speed is definitely needed for sports cars. The Mustang GT has a 10-speed mind you and the Mustang GT is the #1 competitor to the new Z imo.

OP
OP

kittens

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none atm
I had an 8-speed ZF in my previous car and I agree it is probably good for fuel economy and keeping revs low on the highway, but when I was playing around in sport mode with the paddles I probably didn't go above 5th

Dondo

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 370Z Roadster
Hell I have the 7 speed auto 370, and when in manual I seldom use 6th or 7th. lol Yep, typo fixed to 7 speed....

Last edited:

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
The 8Speed-ZF is awesome; I have it, and love it. It's super quick when shifting up while on boost, and also drops gears relatively quickly If i need to kick a Charger's ass on the highway. Plus for cruising, its awesome. When hooning around the city etc, i can get as low as 15mpg, and on highway I can get up to 34MPG when not in boost. The last two gears are for cruising, and it'll probably be same for the 9speed. Hopefully Nissan can get the tuning right.

IMPUL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Infiniti g35x, 2015 Nissan Micra
Occupation
Liuna Local 183
The new Honda is a 10apeed auto as well.

The VR30DDTT is a wards best engine. It’s pretty stout and reliability is regularly seen till 600hp and then you need to build up.

orclean1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic
Are the 3.0-liter V-6 engine with twin turbochargers reliable ?All the extra plumbing for the intercoolers means more maintenance ? Does anyone have any experience with them

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
Are the 3.0-liter V-6 engine with twin turbochargers reliable ?All the extra plumbing for the intercoolers means more maintenance ? Does anyone have any experience with them
It's the same engine that has been in the Q50/Q60 for the past 6+ years. No major issues.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
Some new auto tranny can.

about auto tranny on new Acura TLX.
"Acura's 10-speed automatic, ... , four-gear direct downshifts ... compared to the previous 8-speed dual-clutch and 9-speed automatic transmissions. "

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
It's the same engine that has been in the Q50/Q60 for the past 6+ years. No major issues.
Sorry - no. There were major issues with the engines in the first couple of model years with shredding the accessory belt off of the car due to pulley misalignment. Before you say it's just a belt... yeah it's just a belt that drives the water pumps in an engine whose turbos are water-cooled. Entire engines were replaced in some cases. This was mostly ironed out by the 2018 refresh of the Q50.

More recently, a chunk of owners are reporting issues with turbo failures, but the data isn't strong enough to suggest whether or not it's due to the turbos being pushed with tunes and other aftermarket modifications. There have been some completely OEM cars with turbo failures, and Nissan's hardware revision on the turbos for the 2019 model year is indicative that it was a failure point in the 2016-2018 cars.

All that is to say that, yes, there were issues, but Nissan has been quite proactive in ironing them out. Curious to see if the 2019+ turbo part number in the Infiniti cars is the same one that makes it onto the Z. There will be some things to watch for here. Also curious to see if the cooling bottleneck is different in the Z versus the Q cars - that's how AMS is making money is increasing cooling capacity and tuning to adjust for the extra gained overhead.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
The VR30DDTT is a wards best engine. It’s pretty stout and reliability is regularly seen till 600hp and then you need to build up.
It's nice to have this achievement, but it's not an indicator of reliability - only performance capability coupled with innovative technology.

The VQ35DE was a Ward's Best Engine even while they had cylinder scoring and oil consumption issues that cost many owners their engines while wearing that crown.