Random Car News Thread

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
About a year ago a CR with less than 1k miles sold for $112,111. That PY ITR ended up selling for $112,112. Must be nice to have the $ to play around like this ?
Oh wow, missed that. And you're not kidding.

(mumbles to self: I wonder what kidneys are going for these days. We have two for a reason, right?)

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
To those who say "the two-tone paint scheme won't age gracefully", I present to you - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-honda-s2000-cr-47/
Total unicorn, CRs were extremely rare and IIRC the hardtop was optional. Regardless, it's a hardtop on a convertible, not a two-tone coupe, totally different aesthetic.

Two-tone coupes have been exceptionally rare historically for a very good reason. I fear the current fad for black roofs on CUVs etc is going to be exactly like the fad for landau roofs and crushed velour interiors in the 70's - hot at the time but embarrassing 5-10 years later. (A recent piece in one of the big car blogs on landau-roofed land yachts of the 70s showed ads from the time - crushed velour interiors were actually more expensive than full leather lol.)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Total unicorn, CRs were extremely rare and IIRC the hardtop was optional. Regardless, it's a hardtop on a convertible, not a two-tone coupe, totally different aesthetic.

Two-tone coupes have been exceptionally rare historically for a very good reason. I fear the current fad for black roofs on CUVs etc is going to be exactly like the fad for landau roofs and crushed velour interiors in the 70's - hot at the time but embarrassing 5-10 years later. (A recent piece in one of the big car blogs on landau-roofed land yachts of the 70s showed ads from the time - crushed velour interiors were actually more expensive than full leather lol.)
Add black wheels to the list of unfortunate fads.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N

Fair points, and I'd agree re: CUV. It looks dumb. The lines of the car don't lend to it at all, whereas with the Z I think it lends itself beautifully. And, to others' point—if you grow tired of it/want a color that's only available as two-tone, you can just wrap it and call it a day.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
VR30 on its last legs...

https://jalopnik.com/nissan-is-mostly-done-developing-new-engines-report-1848495326

Nissan Motor will end development of new internal combustion engines in all its major markets except the U.S. and focus its resources on electric vehicles, becoming the first major Japanese automaker to make such a break, Nikkei has learned.

Nissan has already stopped developing gasoline engines for sale in Europe.

Limited development will continue on gasoline engines for the U.S. market, mainly those used in pickup trucks, where it expects a certain level of demand.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
The average car loan start balance has risen 20% in the past year. Payments have gone up 8%.

Meanwhile, the average term is now at 96 months...??

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier