Paint to Sample Program (à la Porsche)

Would you like a custom paint program for the new Z?

• Hell yes!

• No, the standard colors will be fine

Results are only viewable after voting.

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
I don't know why a single person would vote no for this. It doesn't affect YOUR color choice, but it affects everyone else that would WANT the choice.

I'm all for it. Watkins Glen Grey metallic would look fcking great.
It would dramatically slow production. If you want a custom color there is nothing stopping you from getting it painted whatever color you want after delivery, but I don't want production to be slower than it needs to be so I can get my car when I want it.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
It would dramatically slow production. If you want a custom color there is nothing stopping you from getting it painted whatever color you want after delivery, but I don't want production to be slower than it needs to be so I can get my car when I want it.
Would it?

I'd rather have the color from the factory, with factory warranty.

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
Would it?

I'd rather have the color from the factory, with factory warranty.
How could it not slow production if they're mixing special paint for everything? Nissan isn't set up for that. Have you been to a modern auto manufacturing plant?

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
i'd love to have the option for custom colors. i can see how things could go wrong for nissan if they did offer it.

can you imagine having a customer order a color only to reject it because it didn't look like the exact shade as it did on their computer monitor?

or they love a certain color and in real life it just doesn't look as good on the car as it did on another.

perfect example: years ago i owned a 2000 ws-6. previous owner, who also owned a body shop painted it dodge viper snake-skin green.

to me it looked amazing, but when i saw the same color on a mkiv supra, my favorite car, it didn't look right.

i'm on a couple guitar forums and i've seen several times where someone had a shop custom build a guitar only to go on social media tearing the shop owner a new one because it didn't match the colors they saw on their monitors...

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
How could it not slow production if they're mixing special paint for everything? Nissan isn't set up for that. Have you been to a modern auto manufacturing plant?
If it WAS an option, I would imagine Nissan would plan for that. The only cars that would be held up would be those that were getting custom paint, and I'd also imagine there being a disclaimer that getting custom paint would add x amount of weeks to their order. All non-custom orders would continue on as normal.

Do you think people ordering cars from the factory are holding up production of all the non-custom orders anywhere else? Nope.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I don’t see it as a big issue, offer it for those who want it as long as it doesn’t impact on the price for those who don’t, although if there was a big uptake it could indirectly affect the price of the standard paint.

Although the same could be said of the reverse…want a different colour? Just wrap it. It will protect the original paint work, you will get the colour you want, will probs be cheaper and sure as heck it would be faster

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I don’t see it as a big issue, offer it for those who want it as long as it doesn’t impact on the price for those who don’t, although if there was a big uptake it could indirectly affect the price of the standard paint.

Although the same could be said of the reverse…want a different colour? Just wrap it. It will protect the original paint work, you will get the colour you want, will probs be cheaper and sure as heck it would be faster
Yeah but wrap is a temporary fix to a permanent solution. I want a color that would take me 15 years to get to the point that I want to wrap it.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Auto makers are always looking to score money on added options. Yet seem to be leaving money on the table, in terms of paint colors.

If not custom colors, at least they should widen the number of colors offered, pulling from their color pallet that year. Call the extra colors "premium" and upcharge.

The argument I've heard against is, the spray booths only have X number of paint sprayers. Well, make a booth with more sprayers! I compared some vehicles from the 1970s, to the same vehicle today, and noticed some of the 70's vehicles offered a larger color selection. It's 2022 why are we going backwards in terms of color selection?