Nissan Z will get 6-piston disc brakes in the front and 4-piston disc brakes in the rear

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
The 370Z does not need 6-pistons. I have a 370Z and the 4-pistons are plenty fine. As long as you have reasonable pads and rotor life you'll have plenty of stopping power. 6-pistons would be nice on the new Z but the 4-piston Akebonos will still be just fine. I can guarantee that.

If you really wanted you could probably mount the 6-pistons on the front of the new Z via aftermarket.
Are you confirming per your experience for track use or street? The issues came from lapping sessions on tracks. Drags or street pulls don't count since won't overheat these brakes much. This is my biggest worry still, even though I will immed swap out for track pads, ATE or Motul fluids, and braided lines.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Are you confirming per your experience for track use or street? The issues came from lapping sessions on tracks. Drags or street pulls don't count since won't overheat these brakes much. This is my biggest worry still, even though I will immed swap out for track pads, ATE or Motul fluids, and braided lines.
Akebonos, with early spec pads, would fade very badly on track. Pads got hot too quickly and boiled the fluid.

Get track appropriate pads and upgrade your brake fluid, Akebonos should be fine on track, the calipers themselves do not suffer from any design shortcomings.

If you're hard enough on track with most cars, a brake system upgrade may be necessary anyway.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Akebonos, with early spec pads, would fade very badly on track. Pads got hot too quickly and boiled the fluid.

Get track appropriate pads and upgrade your brake fluid, Akebonos should be fine on track, the calipers themselves do not suffer from any design shortcomings.

If you're hard enough on track with most cars, a brake system upgrade may be necessary anyway.
So Cal gets hot temps and some tracks like Auto Club Speedway Roval are high speed, others out at desert borders, hard on braking systems. Will soon (next year?) find out.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring

Yes I'm referring to street use. If we're being honest here the Z is not really advertised as a "track ready" sports car. The average Z owner does not track their Z. Is it track capable? Absolutely, but you should upgrade the necessary parts (brakes, suspension, etc.) to ensure it can run laps unhindered. That being said, as pills mentioned, early model 370Zs suffered it's fair share of issues. Overheating oil temps and the like. However, later models had many of the issues remedied for the most part.

I'm sure Nissan knows of every major issue the 370Z suffered from and will have them ironed out with the new Z once it's here. Would I take an off the show room floor, completely stock 2022 Z to the track? No. I don't think oil temps will be an issue this time around, but definitely consider upgrading the pads and rotors.