MK5 Supra Sales US

romanLegion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
it was high because of the inflated price. i dont recall the exact pricing but it was cheaper in its home market. unsurprisingly Toyota sold about x3 the amount in Japan than the US.

some guy also told @Guff 3 weeks prior to Tokyo that the Supra concept wasnt going to be there despite all the fake news saying it would be so he can cancel his trip and try to get a ticket refund; instead, it was going to be at Geneva. some guy also told us a manual was coming and surprise surprise ;)
Not surprised about lower pricing in Japan. I figured the non-Japanese consumers also had to pay the import tariffs, excise tax, etc. that got bundled into the sale price.

I generally don't like "some guy said ..." as a datapoint, because they tend to be wrong more often than not. You occasionally get someone who's right, like the manual coming, but its more often things that are false, like Gran Turismo 7's 450 hp Z that weighed 3200 lbs being quoted as leaked specs.

romanLegion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
There was a little more to it.

The FD was the lowest priced and sold about 14k units in just 3 years. The real reason why I was told that Mazda dropped it from the U.S. was that they did not want to switch it over to OBD II.

http://www.rotarywiki.com/index.php?title=FD3S:USDM_Production_Numbers

Yes, I would say the 300ZX was affected towards the end, but the Z32 got a few years' heads start on the FD and A80. So the early years weren't really affected by the price hike. About 90k units were made for the U.S. Sales really started tanking in 94 as per the course, but I'm sure the price increase didn't help either.

http://www.zhome.com/History/Zproduction.html

And we all know the story on the A80, bad timing and just too expensive.

☮
I forgot that OBDII was made standard then. I was mainly thinking the economic crisis and the demand for SUVs.

Makes sense the Z moved more. It did hit markets earlier, before the economic crisis.

240SX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
With all these Supra postings lately here, I think we're going to have many defectors, esp since Nissan's pricepoint on the Performance Z, where most are interested in, is off at over $50K; will hurt sales. The manual Z is not at the same performance level as the manual Supra, and forget about the automatic. The Sport maybe just the best ticket in, LSD be damned.

If Nissan puts the Performance at $47-48K we will have a sure winner!

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150
I generally don't like "some guy said ..." as a datapoint, because they tend to be wrong more often than not. You occasionally get someone who's right, like the manual coming, but its more often things that are false, like Gran Turismo 7's 450 hp Z that weighed 3200 lbs being quoted as leaked specs.
those were just some specs for gaming purposes. i dont recall anyone leaking or even hinting that those would be production specs.

romanLegion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
those were just some specs for gaming purposes. i dont recall anyone leaking or even hinting that those would be production specs.
I think it was some dude on some video clip (no idea if it was Youtube, Instagram, Tiktok, or something else). The video 100% was for clickbait, but I straight up had people quoting that at me (younger kids who are more influenced by videos). That's the main reason I've stopped with the "some guy said..." trend. Incorrect information spreads like wildfire.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150
I think it was some dude on some video clip (no idea if it was Youtube, Instagram, Tiktok, or something else). The video 100% was for clickbait, but I straight up had people quoting that at me (younger kids who are more influenced by videos). That's the main reason I've stopped with the "some guy said..." trend. Incorrect information spreads like wildfire.
i have no idea who you are referring to, but most intelligent people know that game specs usually never equal production specs. im just going to end with A70TTR's track record speaks for itself.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/toyota-supra-and-bmw-z4-sales-figures.2061/

The MK5 Supra has already surpassed the MK4 within the first 4 years of sales.

Toyota did its homework on market research. Its quickly becoming its own legend.

MK5 Sales per Year
- 2019 = 2,884
- 2020 = 5,887
- 2021 = 6,830
- 2022 = 2,121
Year to date total = 17,728

MK4 1993-1998 Sales Total = 11,239

-RJM
Hopefully the Supra sales# goes down this year ... considering grabbing one next year (or the Z).