Mitsubishi Motors Discussion

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I've got a 98 Tiburon with about 40K miles on it in fairly pristine condition that I'll be selling when the Z comes, those prices make me think I should auction it.... I might actually get more than $4k for it :D

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 with 168 miles up for auction. Still on MSO, never been registered, essentially a 0 owner car.

6+ days left, current bid is $20,250

https://themarket.co.uk/en/listings/mitsubishi/3000gt/357eae0f-da0f-43ef-becb-2dcefdc72d1d

1643176866747.png
Wonder how it maintained such low miles?

In the mid-90's I was going to community college for my ASE certifications. We were gifted a 3000GT with the DOHC V6, one step below VR-4, by a local Mitsubishi dealer. It was "dropped" off of the car hauler and written-off. We couldn't drive it on the roads as it couldn't be registered, but we had a massive, empty parking lot.

It was a beautiful car, silver with black leather interior, auto climate control, manual transmission, it was the model with projector headlights, if that gives any idea of the year....
And we had a full auto shop with all the equipment, we checked the frame and alignment, the car was still perfect, it didn't have a scratch on it! And if it still exists, it probably has less than 200 miles on it.

BTW nobody wanted to work on it, we had mostly domestic iron in the class that was easier to work on, so the 3000GT basically stayed in a corner

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I've got a 98 Tiburon with about 40K miles on it in fairly pristine condition that I'll be selling when the Z comes, those prices make me think I should auction it.... I might actually get more than $4k for it :D
Dude, that's a "unicorn" right there, as in possibly one of the few cars that might not benefit from pandemic inflation!

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
We were gifted a 3000GT with the DOHC V6, one step below VR-4
Hahaha it's the only step below VR-4. Idiotically heavy and FWD. What a waste of a beautiful car.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Hahaha it's the only step below VR-4. Idiotically heavy and FWD. What a waste of a beautiful car.
In the mid-90's it was actually quite nice. Really, aside from being FWD, on paper it was comparable to the non turbo Z and Supra.

If we're to be snooty about it's FWD roots, even the VR-4 was essentially a FWD vehicle at it's core.

You gotta consider, insurance, yen to dollar was really bad back then, people still wanted sporty coupes despite the bad economics of it, so they'd get the lower tier versions. Really only the SOHC version was the one to avoid.

Almost impossible to sell such a vehicle in this SUV infested world these days.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
It was a horrible design. Not much worse than having a V6 in an I4 configuration. Even worse when you take the twins and AWD away. Thing wheel hops worse than my GS-T did. And FUCK wrenching on that thing.

Ask me how I know.

(My wife bought a pearl white '94 non-VR-4 WAY back in high school)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
This discussion just reminded me, I saw my neighbor brought out their minty last gen (sorry, don't know the year) Eclipse V6, I'm pretty sure those came with the old 3.8 V6. I think it's a 2007-ish.

2 things occurred to me:

Reminds me of a cheaper 3000GT SL, probably kinda shitty to work on also.

Also goes to show how quickly time goes by. I rarely see these cars, and somehow seeing that one almost triggered "nostalgia".

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
This discussion just reminded me, I saw my neighbor brought out their minty last gen (sorry, don't know the year) Eclipse V6, I'm pretty sure those came with the old 3.8 V6. I think it's a 2007-ish.

2 things occurred to me:

Reminds me of a cheaper 3000GT SL, probably kinda shitty to work on also.

Also goes to show how quickly time goes by. I rarely see these cars, and somehow seeing that one almost triggered "nostalgia".
I have zero experience with the 3g and 4g, probably because I refuse to care about them after Mitsu stripped them of all heart and soul (of course I mean the 4G63 and AWD).

Whenever I see a 1G or 2G my heart gets happy. The 2G is still one of the best looking cars the 90s produced and I'll fight anyone that disagrees.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I have zero experience with the 3g and 4g, probably because I refuse to care about them after Mitsu stripped them of all heart and soul (of course I mean the 4G63 and AWD).

Whenever I see a 1G or 2G my heart gets happy. The 2G is still one of the best looking cars the 90s produced and I'll fight anyone that disagrees.
Sad image of the day for you:

All of the 1G and 2G cars that went to the "Cash for Clunkers" crusher.

The worst, anti-enthusiast, anti-car program ever (in the USA at least)

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater

some of my fondest car moments were spent driving around in my 2g...

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
On the topic of Mitsubishi, this is what my weekend consists of...

20220326_180631.jpg

20220326_180414.jpg

20220325_204849.jpg

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
LOVE that color @bboypuertoroc . How much work is left until she’s moving again?
Color is Illusion Purple. It came out WAY better than I was expecting.

Transferring hardware (mostly just bolts) from my current short block to the new one, oil pump and timing components, dropping it in, and tuning.