ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
I want a diecast model, but not made by Hot Wheels though. I'm not sure if the quality was always like that--a toy to chew on, but it's not an esteem model.

OP
OP
GrishTXU

GrishTXU

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus CT200h Lexus GX 570
The bidding on this Hot Wheels Z seems reflective of basic economics: the supply is low (Iā€™ve only seen 1 available so far) and the demand to be one of the first owners must be high.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
The bidding on this Hot Wheels Z seems reflective of basic economics: the supply is low (Iā€™ve only seen 1 available so far) and the demand to be one of the first owners must be high.
Hot wheels donā€™t make one of a kindsā€¦there will be plenty out there soon enough.

OP
OP
GrishTXU

GrishTXU

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot wheels donā€™t make one of a kindsā€¦there will be plenty out there soon enough.
For sure, once itā€™s widely released the bids on eBay will normalizeā€¦down to a few bucks

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Y'all are picky AF about the looks of a $1 toy. LOL

Having done my time through college working full time at Target many moons ago, I have learned to never underestimate the wild nature of Hot Wheels collectors. That's a whole other world, man. Those dudes would learn the delivery schedule and line up waiting for the doors to open at 6am to get first picks on new cases.

Mattel has also figured out their collector base and they release premium lines of the cars and stuff that are far better in detail and stuff. The retail premium cars are around $10 typically. I'm sure they'll make one of the Z in the future. I bought 5 or so of the original premium line (called Speed Machines at the time) in 2009 for the GT-R, and sold one of them last year for about $200. They have a members-only Redline Club that releases limited cars that cost $40 direct from Mattel and routinely price in the three-figure range on the secondhand market.

I have a handful of the first editions of the R34 GT-R that came out in 2010 that I bought in 2010 for $0.98 a piece... those sell for around $40 a piece now. If you know what to buy and keep them a while, people pay lots of money for them.

Collectibles market has always been crazy, but went even crazier when COVID hit. The first half of the pandemic left a lot of people with no other hobbies and stimulus money. Whatever works for you!

OP
OP
GrishTXU

GrishTXU

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Y'all are picky AF about the looks of a $1 toy. LOL

Having done my time through college working full time at Target many moons ago, I have learned to never underestimate the wild nature of Hot Wheels collectors. That's a whole other world, man. Those dudes would learn the delivery schedule and line up waiting for the doors to open at 6am to get first picks on new cases.

Mattel has also figured out their collector base and they release premium lines of the cars and stuff that are far better in detail and stuff. The retail premium cars are around $10 typically. I'm sure they'll make one of the Z in the future. I bought 5 or so of the original premium line (called Speed Machines at the time) in 2009 for the GT-R, and sold one of them last year for about $200. They have a members-only Redline Club that releases limited cars that cost $40 direct from Mattel and routinely price in the three-figure range on the secondhand market.

I have a handful of the first editions of the R34 GT-R that came out in 2010 that I bought in 2010 for $0.98 a piece... those sell for around $40 a piece now. If you know what to buy and keep them a while, people pay lots of money for them.

Collectibles market has always been crazy, but went even crazier when COVID hit. The first half of the pandemic left a lot of people with no other hobbies and stimulus money. Whatever works for you!
To your point about the craziness of the collectibles market, the current bid is $127.50!

OP
OP
GrishTXU

GrishTXU

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As an fyi, Iā€™ve personally spent way too much money on Hot Wheels and other model cars. But hey, itā€™s fun and I enjoy it a lot. Iā€™ve got an IG page where I post pics of my collection.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
As an fyi, Iā€™ve personally spent way too much money on Hot Wheels and other model cars. But hey, itā€™s fun and I enjoy it a lot. Iā€™ve got an IG page where I post pics of my collection.
Yeah, I mean honestly, more power to ya (and others)ā€”life is too short, we all work hard, might as well enjoy it. If it brings you happiness, full speed ahead.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Awesome collection! Nice to see some 240Z's in there :)

OP
OP
GrishTXU

GrishTXU

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)