Honda Civic Type-R Discussion - 5th & 6th gen (2017+)

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Slower than the previous gen CTR.....

What the heck did Honda do? All versions of Gen 11 are slower than the Gen 10 versions....
I've had no time to watch the full video but skipped through to the lap time. On their track FL5 did it in 1:13.5 vs FK8 in 1:14.4. X must be faster from a roll?

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
I've had no time to watch the full video but skipped through to the lap time. On their track FL5 did it in 1:13.5 vs FK8 in 1:14.4. X must be faster from a roll?

The newer one also has much better tires and wider tires than the previous. Worth at least a 1/2 second on a lap.

The old one was faster on the roll races. Never much interest in them but certainly decent track cars.

BraveDemon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Toyota Supra; 19 Audi TT-RS; 15 GLA45 AMG
Yeah I agree with Thomas’ thoughts at the end - you replace the Contis and put PS4S on the FK8 and I think it’s going to be just as fast around a track as the new one.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I should've clarified "slower in a drag race" seems the newer CTR benefitted from much better tires, and powerful FWD cars are a bitch to launch. So, on the roll, the older CTR very clearly was pulling away from the new CTR.

I am disappointed because now it's clear every version of the Gen 11 Civic has proven significantly slower than the last Gen, in a drag race. The new Gen 11 is so nice otherwise.

BraveDemon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Toyota Supra; 19 Audi TT-RS; 15 GLA45 AMG
To be fair to Honda and IMO, the FK8 was the peak in performance for the CTR. Really what else could they do? The FK8 was perfect (or so I hear since I haven’t driven one) for a FWD track car, so where do you go from there?

New one is still great performance wise on the track and for those that did not like the boy racer look of the FK8, they can now get this one.

But next year, I hope they undo whatever they did to the transmission or final drive ratios or w/e. The old one should not be pulling on the new one in 3rd and 4th.