Hands Up all the Aussies

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
One plausible theory; Demo vehicles go out to the dealerships this week and next. Dealers are instructed to offer test drives, confirm orders and customer's financial arrangements then repot back to Nissan. Nissan will then allocate cars out of the pool of vehicles as they arrive.
I agree.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I was thinking the opposite - this is pretty much the first time we are hearing that (after 3 rounds of offers) they now don't have enough protos to fulfil the order they are holding deposits for.
This is also the first time I've personally heard that they are planning on offering a full 240 proto units to the Australian market... every other scrap of information previously indicated that there was anywhere between 120-170 (ish) coming.

I was also advised by Nissan Australia themselves that my allocation would have a build date of August, and other sources have hinted at a build date up to and indcluding December... so I wouldn't say they've 'finished' protos just yet.

Who knows though. I guess I don't take an article from Drive.com.au any more seriously than any other source... they seemed to be speculating a bit.
When i say “finished” I mean they have finished allocating..not finished building or anything else.
It’s pretty clear this is the case as people who have missed out have been informed. If they were still negotiating to build more, they would not have contacted those who have missed out as yet, as there would still be a chance of getting extra AND they would not know out of that extra how many wanted to continue with said contract.
Therefore I’m pretty sure they know how many they are getting, and that number of people have been informed that they are getting one….further proof is the email they sent out to all you guys saying you were successful. They wouldn’t do that if they didn’t have the cars secured.
If you haven’t been contacted I would question what your dealer is telling you.
But if you have …it means you have one secured, weather that be 240 or 170, no one really knows.

Remember they took over 400 orders for the proto. They were never going to have enough to fill that order. So, those who missed out were informed and given a choice of a refund or wait for a coupe.
Now from that point it’s my understanding that those who choose to wait for the coupe, would be put into the coupe wait list in order of the date they ordered. This list does not affect those who have a Proto, the Protos will be made and distributed. The coupes likewise although the wait list has blown out till end of next year, although we are hoping and assuming that some of the early coupes that were placed in early 2021 will arrive at the same time as the first distribution of the Protos, or at least not far behind

If your dealer is saying it’s being built in August chances are it may be part of the extra allocation they secured on top of the original Protos they were given….this is just my take. Could be wrong, but makes sense.

@jezzza I agree with your prediction, if true, how long do you reckon it will be from drive to delivery? And will they still follow the line. For instance if someone ordered a car but was away on holidays and couldn’t test drive, would they be jumped?
Personally I’d be down there the next day, but I don’t trust this to go smoothly

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
I agree with your prediction, if true, how long do you reckon it will be from drive to delivery? And will they still follow the line. For instance if someone ordered a car but was away on holidays and couldn’t test drive, would they be jumped?
Test drive will be pushed to those with it as a clause in their contract. Not sure how financial agreements work as I've never bought a new car.. was hoping to use Amex.

It's very possible that Nissan are intentionally keeping allocation details quiet to avoid shenanigans with sketchy dealers trying to sell positions. I've had a few people (who eventually admit that they work at a dealership) message me on fb trying to sell a spot for profit.

Despite our never-ending agony, I do believe that Nissan Australia have good intentions. I'm fairly confident that Coupe customers will be in their cars soon after initial Proto deliveries.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I've had a few people (who eventually admit that they work at a dealership) message me on fb trying to sell a spot for profit.
That’s disgusting! Especially as an early order such as yourself…it’s a bit disconcerting

We usually buy our cars from our home equity…simply because I can walk in with a cheque for the entire amount and then pick the car up five days later when the cheque clears.
This way there is no extra percentage for use of credit cards, or sending $5000 at a time (or whatever your credit card, or bank transfer limit maybe)
Then we go home and just transfer our savings over each day till it’s paid off or it’s paid up to what we have and pay off the outstanding at a later date. Because of the long wait, this time we have the money to pay in full…but obviously our bank won’t allow us to transfer it all at once. So it sits in the bank earning its measly interest and then we will do as above
That’s why I’d like to know straight away when they expect the car…we will take the cheque in 10 days before to allow for any delays, done and dusted with no extra charges

loudsx

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
66stang, 70galant, 96200SX, 98GS300, 02XR6, 08mini
Well we know some cars are built

as we have VINs for 2 that are lower than the media cars.

now the big question is just how many are here!

guess the answer”should” come out fri.

Pupz

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
987 Boxter, Z in waiting
Nice work here. Persistence pays off. Well done!! My dealer in CBR says my Proto was built in Jul. Am waiting on VIN and delivery date. Post 1 Sep, I’m thinking we will hear more. Chin up folks.
Dealer called today. Said previous info was not correct. Car build now Sep 22, with delivery Oct 22.

peter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z, Qashqai
Occupation
Metallurgist
I'm on holidays next week, will be ringing dealer to advise on Friday that if by some miracle they have some news and can't get hold of me they have authority to say a big YES to the car

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I'm on holidays next week, will be ringing dealer to advise on Friday that if by some miracle they have some news and can't get hold of me they have authority to say a big YES to the car
Think that’s wise…I just emailed my dealer yesterday, just on the off chance anything new is happening that he could divulge
Imagine my surprise when he emailed me first thing this morning ( most unlike him)

Sounds like @jezzza Is on the right track
I’m trying not to get excited because we’ve been there done that many times over and always been disappointed….and this could be just another one of those times

However he said they are expecting their demo at the end of September with ETAs for ordered cars shortly after that

So it looks like it’s still another month to two away…but it does at last sound like we are on the right track, and as jezzza said, demo, then commit then arrive

peter

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z, Qashqai
Occupation
Metallurgist
Saw this on fb

Automatic Z's added to 9 Speed recall Stop Sale by Nissan. Had this confirmed by a Nissan Contact. This is the same issue that affects the Titan and Frontier as they use the same JATCO 9 Speed. Over 180K Trucks were already included in this campaign as they were a risk to roll away when in park. It's being communicated to dealers that the Z is now added. I'm assuming this means any auto Protos in a showroom are not to be sold at the moment?

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
I'm assuming this means any auto Protos in a showroom are not to be sold at the moment?
There's no Protos in showrooms here yet but the demonstration cars are starting to arrive of which I've only seen automatic allocations. Let's hope that we can at least drive these to keep the ball rolling.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
There's no Protos in showrooms in Aus yet but the demonstration cars are starting to arrive of which I've only seen automatic allocations. Let's hope that we can at least drive these to keep the ball rolling.
If there is a fix ..each dealer will only have one to fix. Surely it shouldn’t hold up things too much
If not, and we can’t actually drive it, it still shouldn’t hold up things if we as a buyer choose to proceed….especially as we mostly ordered manuals, a completely different driving experience

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
If not, and we can’t actually drive it, it still shouldn’t hold up things if we as a buyer choose to proceed….especially as we mostly ordered manuals, a completely different driving experience
Agreed. I really couldn't give a shit about dealer demo cars. It's an absolute piss-take.