OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Sure of it.

Anyone that hasn't lined up by now, won't be getting the damn thing anytime soon anyhow
I know, when people write they just put their deposit down and have been told January delivery …all I can do is think, I hope so buddy. But I doubt it
Same as the guy who left the forum because we were “too negative” maybe negative…but also right.
End of August still no cars in buyers hands in Aus

loudsx

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
66stang, 70galant, 96200SX, 98GS300, 02XR6, 08mini
But interesting the media is asking the questions re delivery and lead time.

you would almost think someone reached out to them.

it also sounds like they don’t have answers!

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
But interesting the media is asking the questions re delivery and lead time.

you would almost think someone reached out to them.

it also sounds like they don’t have answers!
Well I can tell you I didn’t reach out…I don’t know anyone. But if I did it’s what I would ask.
Maybe we have someone on the forum with links who wishes to remain incognito …and if that’s the case good on them. You don’t need to tell us who you are, just the fact the questions are getting asked is a good thing.
Or there maybe someone who actually has an order in that is working for the publication.
Either way doesn't really matter…what does matter, is what you have said “they don’t seem to know”

And really if I was ordering a proto I would like to know how many are being made, not just in Aus but world wide.
I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.
If you’ve ordered a Proto because YOU really want it, and YOU really want to drive it and YOU will really enjoy it…great I’m all for it, and I hope you do thoroughly enjoy it
If however you are buying hoping that it’s going to make you money later down the track…I don’t think it’s the best investment. 101 in collectables…know how many there are

Ballast Scorcher

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 300zx z32 Mitsubishi Triton MR
Occupation
Locomotive Driver
If however you are buying hoping that it’s going to make you money later down the track…I don’t think it’s the best investment. 101 in collectables…know how many there are
I'm tired and really not keen on too strenuous a post, but I'd have to disagree.

Evs looming, legislation no doubt being drafted to entice car drivers into the ev market etc. etc. Within reason, i dont know that the number of protos produced would really worry things much at all. Theyll be rarer and thats all there is too it imo. Could nissan of made it more "limited" sure. Does it matter ? I really don't think so.

I was only reminiscing the other week with a mate regarding old games and cards etc. that we had as young fellas and the prices to once again own such things. Nostalgia commands tomorrows price i think, and i believe that the push for electrics will only fuel that thought.

Happy to agree to disagree though👍

Ballast Scorcher

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Locomotive Driver
If you are happy to park your car with limited k’s for 20+ years sure.

I care more about driving it tho
Ha, you reckon the kilometres on a mkiv supra would make much difference at all to what they'd sell for right now? I bet there'd be ones on there with 70, 80, 90+ kilometres on the clock for as much as these new Zs are going for.

No one has a crystal ball. Who knows what will be tomorrow's desire.

Reactions: Mud

Ballast Scorcher

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Locomotive Driver
But I'm hearing you guys. No one should be purchasing anything like this and expecting a solid return as a matter of course. If it does, happy days, if not, then it's a good thing I'm not selling 😉

loudsx

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ha, you reckon the kilometres on a mkiv supra would make much difference at all to what they'd sell for right now? I bet there'd be ones on there with 70, 80, 90+ kilometres on the clock for as much as these new Zs are going for.

But this is exactly what I’m saying.
Those are a near 30 year old car now.

let’s say you used as a daily that’s 300-500k km

and no one wants that as a collectable.

(unless your a click bait YouTuber)

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
But I'm hearing you guys. No one should be purchasing anything like this and expecting a solid return as a matter of course. If it does, happy days, if not, then it's a good thing I'm not selling 😉
I bought my old NA Series Land Rover for $5700 (USD). Maybe it's worth 4 times that much now. Regardless I think it's a crummy investment compared to alternative investments. My Tesla and Ford stock multiplied that much, in a much shorter time, and without me having to worry about maintenance, storage, wear and tear, etc. My stocks also don't rust. :)

What does the future hold, where might a person live, do they want to worry about and maintain an aging vehicle like an albatross around the neck, hoping later it might go up some in price? Sure it's nice if a vehicle holds value, but I would not buy a Proto or any other vehicle for investment. (Other than maybe short term sale gain due to the current nutty car market.)

Ballast Scorcher

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Locomotive Driver
But this is exactly what I’m saying.
Those are a near 30 year old car now.

let’s say you used as a daily that’s 300-500k km

and no one wants that as a collectable.

(unless your a click bait YouTuber)
Fair call.

My point was was also along the lines that there were something like 50,000 made. The engine had big potential, but the car itself wasn't overly special in its era and there was a shitload made. So yeah, providing you didn't take it to the moon and back, it's crazy the price they now command. But yeah, 30 years is a long time to wait for sure.

But times just feel different now. Look at those Woolworths collectables. Ooshies or whatever else they release. That shit isn't 30 years old but people went stupid buying those gold coloured pieces of shit for big bucks.

But I'm going off on tangents right here, my opinion is simply that the rise of electric vehicles will - imo - fuel (pardon the pun) the price of these vehicles for tomorrow's crowd. And who knows, Fast and the Furious may well have movie #56 coming out starring the Zed heading into space or some shit and we all could be buying todays MkIV Supra 😅

Hammo25

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi A5

I think it’s more about getting to engage in a passion and at least not losing money. I know that $10k invested today should be worth at least $20k in 10 years, $40k in 20 - but then that investment brings me zero joy in the time between now and then. There’s something more special about my $80k car being worth maybe $150k in 20 years (even $100k - or even $80k).

I also collect / play guitars and while I always think about resale when I buy, I buy them to play (and do). I’m a great buyer- terrible seller, but guitars easier to store than cars.

loudsx

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well you are correct in the next FnF does have a Z in it!

But the entire market is messed up currently.

I was shopping 1st gen Aston Martinv8 vantages in 2019
Ok ones were in the 60s
I swore as soon as they hit 50s I was pulling trigger.

that’s a 100k car now.

market slowly looks to be returning to normal how long that will take I have no idea.