Hands Up all the Aussies

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
ā€Žā€Ž Engineer
So much for these proto's not increasing in value though. I always thought they would. I know a few didn't because they were viewed as not being "limited" enough, but alas, here we are.
I think we're jumping to conclusions here. I'm sure old mate got a tap on the shoulder from his Nissan rep. This sort of thing will ostracise a dealership from the network pretty quickly.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Not selling cancer drugs... it's just a car. If someone legit wants to offer me $40k over what I paid for it I am going to take that all day long.

Never bought it to make a profit, but honestly my opinion just differs to yours - I feel I'd be a total fool not to take a deal like that.
I disagree ā€¦.I CAN wear a bikini to my sons graduation if choose to do so, not hurting anyone ā€¦but just because I can, doesnā€™t mean I should.

Yes technically there is nothing wrong with it..but morally?
Think of the people who missed out trying the right way that canā€™t afford this price.
Itā€™s really not fair

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
He's joking. You are joking right?

You could offer me 200k for my non proto and I wouldn't sell it to you.

Edit: You've lost ya mind.
I honestly am not - in fact I can't believe you guys feel that way.
Look at it another way, if someone said "I'll give TWO coupe's for free, but you have to wait another 12 months" woudl you do it?
That is basically what your$200k scenario is. You'd make $130k...
(I know this is just a number you probably threw out there, but come on... surely YOU are kidding?)

I disagree ā€¦.I CAN wear a bikini to my sons graduation if choose to do so, not hurting anyone ā€¦but just because I can, doesnā€™t mean I should.

Yes technically there is nothing wrong with it..but morally?
Think of the people who missed out trying the right way that canā€™t afford this price.
Itā€™s really not fair
I'd wear a bikini to my sons graduation for $40k... sorry.
I wouldn't sell my house for what I paid for it 15 years ago either, just because someone missed out on the price I paid for it...

Also, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do. If someone honestly is prepared to pay $40k over the asking price of something, they are overburdened with stupidity, money, or both.

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
ā€Žā€Ž Engineer
Also, I'm not forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do. If someone honestly is prepared to pay $40k over the asking price of something, they are overburdened with stupidity, money, or both.
Ok fair enough. Let's put this to bed, it's only upsetting people.

Chances are no one's paying 40k over retail other than a few of our American brethren.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Ok fair enough. Let's put this to bed, it's only upsetting people.

Chances are no one's paying 40k over retail other than a few of our American brethren.
I just want to add one last thing.
What people are missing is ā€¦you are absolutely correct, no one is forcing people to pay that amount.
BUT the people who were on the list and did the right thing initially, but then missed out in all probability can not afford and extra 40K, so they miss out because someone want to make quick cash from somebody who has plenty and quite possibly was never in line, or even initially interested.

That is why I think itā€™s unfair..and having said that, I will rest my case

Ballast Scorcher

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 300zx z32 Mitsubishi Triton MR
Occupation
Locomotive Driver
What a world we live in nowadays huh.

Perhaps I simply didn't have my finger on the pulse, but I just flat out don't recall this kind of thing when I was younger (am 34 btw)

This whole FOMO that is just overriding people's good judgement is something that's honestly taken me by surprise. It's pervasive, and to some extent, located in a shit tonne of different areas of interest. The humble pokemon card springs to mind considering I'm helping my daughter get her own collection going. That shits an absolute rabbit hole nowadays, take my word for it. Games from the last 20 years have also gone nuts. Nostalgia and FOMO are powerful motivations.

I wish I still had my childhood pokemon card collection, shit would sell for near on 5 figures I'd wager. It's insane.

Anyhow, better get going and start doing up my carsales advert then, I guess šŸ˜‡šŸ˜†

dangero

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C63 AMG, Lotus 7
Occupation
CIO
The quick profit is tempting but like the GTR this is the last of its kind. Drive and enjoy it. In years you will be kicking yourself for selling early.

coming from a guy that has owned and sold the following cars for these prices

R32 GTR 2004 $16000
S1 Elise 2014 $28000
996 GT3 2017 $50000
987 cayman S 2019 $48000
S2 Exige 2020 $50000

if I had held any of these cars till now Iā€™d be tens of thousands better off. We are about to hit the end of petrol power and the Z is an icon, this is the last of the breed and the proto is 1 of 150.

if someone tries to pry it from your hands just remember there is no getting another one and almost nothing else will appreciate in the same league.

drive it and enjoy it for 10 years and then sell it for $180k. The statistics donā€™t lie

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
What a world we live in nowadays huh.

Perhaps I simply didn't have my finger on the pulse, but I just flat out don't recall this kind of thing when I was younger (am 34 btw)

This whole FOMO that is just overriding people's good judgement is something that's honestly taken me by surprise. It's pervasive, and to some extent, located in a shit tonne of different areas of interest. The humble pokemon card springs to mind considering I'm helping my daughter get her own collection going. That shits an absolute rabbit hole nowadays, take my word for it. Games from the last 20 years have also gone nuts. Nostalgia and FOMO are powerful motivations.

I wish I still had my childhood pokemon card collection, shit would sell for near on 5 figures I'd wager. It's insane.

Anyhow, better get going and start doing up my carsales advert then, I guess šŸ˜‡šŸ˜†
Think its probably always been like that to be honest. It's just easier to get an instant market appraisal these days, and people don't have the patience to ride out a peak or a trough in pricing.

Look at crypto and NFTs ffs!

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
The quick profit is tempting but like the GTR this is the last of its kind. Drive and enjoy it. In years you will be kicking yourself for selling early.

coming from a guy that has owned and sold the following cars for these prices

R32 GTR 2004 $16000
S1 Elise 2014 $28000
996 GT3 2017 $50000
987 cayman S 2019 $48000
S2 Exige 2020 $50000

if I had held any of these cars till now Iā€™d be tens of thousands better off. We are about to hit the end of petrol power and the Z is an icon, this is the last of the breed and the proto is 1 of 150.

if someone tries to pry it from your hands just remember there is no getting another one and almost nothing else will appreciate in the same league.

drive it and enjoy it for 10 years and then sell it for $180k. The statistics donā€™t lie
Turning $125k into $180k in 10 years is an interest rate of a little over 4% per annum.
You can pretty much get savings interest rates with the big 4 banks for that now...

Don't get me wrong - I get what you are saying, and at the risk of upsetting anyone again, I don't think the Z is anywhere near the league of the cars you've mentioned. The closest would be the GTR IMHO, and the proposed new R36 will be the new GTR.
The market is just starved for cars at the moment - once waiting times decrease, so will the price of cars. The Proto will always be worth a little more (again, IMHO) than a coupe, but it objectively won't be better than a NISMO. And it certainly won't be better than an R36 (objectively OR subjectively).

dangero

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C63 AMG, Lotus 7
Occupation
CIO
Turning $125k into $180k in 10 years is an interest rate of a little over 4% per annum.
You can pretty much get savings interest rates with the big 4 banks for that now...

Don't get me wrong - I get what you are saying, and at the risk of upsetting anyone again, I don't think the Z is anywhere near the league of the cars you've mentioned. The closest would be the GTR IMHO, and the proposed new R36 will be the new GTR.
The market is just starved for cars at the moment - once waiting times decrease, so will the price of cars. The Proto will always be worth a little more (again, IMHO) than a coupe, but it objectively won't be better than a NISMO. And it certainly won't be better than an R36 (objectively OR subjectively).
100% agree. Itā€™s a sellers market for cars. And when interest rates peak there will be all sorts of discounted toys. But when you look at actual purchase price of 87ish you can enjoy your car for as long as you want and not worry about depreciation as long as you miss the 3 and 5 year lease agreements.

I still have a C63 and lotus 7 that have doubled and tripled in value since I bought them. I will be enjoying my Z every weekend and know itā€™s not going to lose its value.

the proto listed sold to a buyer that missed out on the first round. Seller would not disclose the price bit Did say is was sub $100k

I think that is perfectly reasonable and akin to 10% finders fee

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
100% agree. Itā€™s a sellers market for cars. And when interest rates peak there will be all sorts of discounted toys. But when you look at actual purchase price of 87ish you can enjoy your car for as long as you want and not worry about depreciation as long as you miss the 3 and 5 year lease agreements.

I still have a C63 and lotus 7 that have doubled and tripled in value since I bought them. I will be enjoying my Z every weekend and know itā€™s not going to lose its value.

the proto listed sold to a buyer that missed out on the first round. Seller would not disclose the price bit Did say is was sub $100k

I think that is perfectly reasonable and akin to 10% finders fee
Yeah that is not worth it then.
Dunno if that includes on roads (probs not- ad was excluding) but only one who really wins there is the government/s with their stamp duty/LCT.

Oh and while we are flexing our appreciating assets, my wife has a 2012 VW Tiguan that has doubled in value in the last ~2 years :-D
I'm sure this insanity will start to settle as people default on their overextended mortgages and are forced to stop buying new cars!