Front license plate -- will you mount it or not?

Front license plate -- will you mount it or not?

• Total voters

Mishimoto

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Many
Great. So the plate will screw on directly or do I need to drill the plate or have a plastic cover ?
The install is super easy. No drilling required. A small portion of the front grille is removed (plastic trim tool is your best bet). The rod portion threads on, just like your normal tow hook would, and then you mount the license plate bracket. Check out the attached install notecard.

NT6_9758_circle.jpg

Looks great. Just wondering if there is anything stopping someone just unwinding it like you would a tow hook, and stealing the plate and mount?
Because the license plate is relatively close to the grille, it would hit the front bumper if someone attempted to rotate it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

- John P

Attachments

Mishimoto

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Many
Postage to Queensland Australia?
Hey @Beard - the best way to get that quote is through our Customer Service Team. Feel free to reach out to them via this link or email them at [email protected].

Just a heads up that this this license plate relocation is designed to fit 6x12 inch (150x300mm) license plates and has mounting holes spaced 7 inches (178mm) apart.

- John P

OldGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Nismo, Stealth Grey
That mounting thing that comes with the Z is so flimsy a car wash is likely to rip it right off the front of the car. They also don't provide a bolt that fits the J-nuts and don't tell you what size it needs.
I'm likely going to leave it plateless and say it was ripped off by a car wash if anyone asks.

When I bought my Mazda MX-5 RF back in 2016, the dealer said nobody puts on the front plate, and after 6 years I never had a problem. The toll camera things had no problem charging me the toll even with no front plate.

HP Proto

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Proto Spec
Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
The install is super easy. No drilling required. A small portion of the front grille is removed (plastic trim tool is your best bet). The rod portion threads on, just like your normal tow hook would, and then you mount the license plate bracket. Check out the attached install notecard.

NT6_9758_circle.jpg

Because the license plate is relatively close to the grille, it would hit the front bumper if someone attempted to rotate it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

- John P
This product did not fit my 2023 Z Proto spec so don’t waste your money.

Mishimoto

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Many
This product did not fit my 2023 Z Proto spec so don’t waste your money.
Hi @HP Proto - I'm super sorry you ran into an issue with your 2023 Z Proto and our license plate relocation kit. Did you happen to reach out to our Customer Service Team? Feel free to reach out to them via this link or email them at [email protected].

- John

HP Proto

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Proto Spec
Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Hi @HP Proto - I'm super sorry you ran into an issue with your 2023 Z Proto and our license plate relocation kit. Did you happen to reach out to our Customer Service Team? Feel free to reach out to them via this link or email them at [email protected].

- John
This is the response I got from Mishimoto.

Unfortunately we do not offer another product for this vehicle yet and since the Proto Spec is a very limited production unit, we may not have access to one to engineer an appropriately fitting kit for that vehicle.

HP Proto

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Proto Spec
Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Hi @HP Proto - Got it, thanks for sharing. I'm going to do some additional digging and see what I can find. I will keep you/everyone posted with our findings.

- John
Thank you.

Mishimoto

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Many
Hey @HP Proto - we had our local Nissan dealer run multiple Z VINs (some Performance and some Proto). They confirmed the part number for the Bumper Impact Bar (Front) is 62030-6GP0A and matches across all Z's. This being the front crash bar that's threaded to accept OEM tow hooks, our Mishimoto License Plate Relocation, and our Mishimoto Tow Hook. The local dealer has access to the Canadian part number + fitment system and confirmed the 6GP0A part number. If you check online, 'Touring+Sport' = Proto.

Here are two brainstorm ideas to try and help:
- If you DM me your VIN, I'd be happy to have our local dealer run it through the system.

- Another option could be to contact your local dealer, have them confirm the OEM tow hook part number, buy the tow hook, and compare the threads against the Mishimoto License Plate Relocation Kit rod.
image-20230421-173511.png

Hope this helps!

- John

HP Proto

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Proto Spec
Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Hey @HP Proto - we had our local Nissan dealer run multiple Z VINs (some Performance and some Proto). They confirmed the part number for the Bumper Impact Bar (Front) is 62030-6GP0A and matches across all Z's. This being the front crash bar that's threaded to accept OEM tow hooks, our Mishimoto License Plate Relocation, and our Mishimoto Tow Hook. The local dealer has access to the Canadian part number + fitment system and confirmed the 6GP0A part number. If you check online, 'Touring+Sport' = Proto.

Here are two brainstorm ideas to try and help:
- If you DM me your VIN, I'd be happy to have our local dealer run it through the system.

- Another option could be to contact your local dealer, have them confirm the OEM tow hook part number, buy the tow hook, and compare the threads against the Mishimoto License Plate Relocation Kit rod.
image-20230421-173511.png

Hope this helps!

- John
Thank you and i really appreciate your help. I will reach out to dealership where I bought my car from, there amazing people always ready to help thanks again.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
1683060623309.jpeg

zip tie forever:p
be careful...over time zip ties will deteriorate in the sun.

it will losen or break with the lp causing scratches or damage. thats why i recomend bailing wire...

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Originally, I was sure I was going to install the front plate to stay legal (in CA), but the Z looks so good without it, so now I just don't know. Risk a fix-it ticket or drill the holes?

Last edited: