Dan Passe. You guys have got to have ventilated seats…..

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
You know what, it's really just a convenience thing anyway. Alcantara breathes really well, and as long as the AC is working, it's not an issue anyway.
I remember when alcantara first began being widely used in cars, some people didn't like it, they said it didn't hold up, especially on a steering wheel. Has that become less of a complaint?

Datsun280Z

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS, 1962 Triumph TR3A
Occupation
High School Teacher
I remember when alcantara first began being widely used in cars, some people didn't like it, they said it didn't hold up, especially on a steering wheel. Has that become less of a complaint?
Here's my take:

My 2017 Mustang has Alcantara seats, and I LOVE it. If I didn't know any better, I would think it was fine suede, it grips my ass around turns amazingly well compared to slick leather and cloth, and I've never had an issue with ventilation, even without the seat cooler on. My car only has 15,000 miles, but the bolstering leather is starting to show a little wear. The Alcantara still looks and feels like brand new.

I could see it being an issue on the steering wheel, unless you're washing your hands before touching it every time, but even then, those oils from you skin are going to make their way into it the fabric, so I would prefer leather on the wheel. Unless your pants are made of sandpaper, I can see Alcantara seats holding up very well.

Regarding care, I just vacuum and wipe down with a microfiber cloth that's dampened with a little Poland Spring. That's it.

Last edited:

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Here's my take:

My 2017 Mustang has Alcantara seats, and I LOVE it. If I didn't know any better, I would think it was fine suede, it grips my ass around turns amazingly well compared to slick leather and cloth, and I've never had an issue with ventilation, even without the seat cooler on. My car only has 15,000 miles, but the bolstering leather is starting to show a little wear. The Alcantara still looks and feels like brand new.

I could see it being an issue on the steering wheel, unless you're washing your hands before touching it every time, but even then, those oils from you skin are going to make their way into it the fabric, so I would prefer leather on the wheel. Unless your pants are made of sandpaper, I can see Alcantara seats holding up very well.

Regarding care, I just vacuum and wipe down with a microfiber cloth that's dampened with a little Poland Spring. That's it.
Agree
Mines a mix, half leather, cut outs suede on riccario seats, my car is my daily drive and gets used ALOT. It’s almost 8 years old. Whilst both materials have held up quite well, the stitching on the drivers side is starting to unravel, on the leather portion.
The leather is in my opinion more worn than the suede, with marks more visible. Definitely not the outcome I expected but that’s my take.

Last edited:

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Here's my take:

Yeah, I was a bit unsure of it at first but I've come around to really appreciate it.

Also, if you ever need to clean it a step further, I highly suggest Sonax - https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-206141-Upholstery-Alcantara-Cleaner/dp/B00BBWJ16U

That stuff, with a good brush and some towels has worked wonders for me.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think they sell Poland Spring around here. I'm going to have to take a road trip to Maine once I get my new Z to pick some up. :p

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
You know what, it's really just a convenience thing anyway. Alcantara breathes really well, and as long as the AC is working, it's not an issue anyway.
From someone that's owned an Evo IX for over 15 years and had it in rather warm places like Hawaii, Korea, and now Florida, I can tell you that alcantara and working AC does nothing for swamp back.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater