Nissan Z roadster coming? What about a T-Top, Targa Top, or Shooting Brake?

What body style would you be interested in?

• Total voters

G37

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Coupe 6MT, Q50S Hybrid, MDX
Occupation
Self
When a car isn’t designed to be a convertible in the first place, it almost always lacks the structural integrity to pull it off. This is an old platform whose rigidity isn’t even at the top of the class as a slick top coupe. Cut out the roof and it’ll be like spaghetti - requiring so much additional bracing and welds it won’t be a satisfactory end result. While it’d surely look great, the last convertible from this platform - the G37 Coupe - was lauded as a coupe but panned as a limp noodle convertible. Nissan should focus on more profitable Z-related endeavors like the mid-tier trim level, a Nismo model, optional premium lightweight components (suspension parts, carbon fiber hood, etc) to reduce weight, better tires, and ongoing updates rather than dump a lot into a project doomed from the start.

BengalZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
I wouldn't be interested in a convertible but I was just curious if anyone knows if they will be making one for the new Nissan Z model?

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I wouldn't be interested in a convertible but I was just curious if anyone knows if they will be making one for the new Nissan Z model?
Nissan has the tooling, know how and ability to produce a convertible version. Since the new Z is the same chassis as the 370Z, they'd just need to refine the appearance details.

But, convertibles are niche, and the Z launch and current production is a huge cluster fuck. Has Nissan even delivered 300 Z's yet?
Unless a freaking miracle occurs, we're not getting a convertible Z. I'd love to see one offered, but I just have no faith that Nissan can even sort out "normal" Z production in the next few years....

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Yeah, back in the 90s.
I know! I should have said 299 or 301!
I realized after I posted that....
But, if I'm going to be pedantic, and I am, Nissan never sold a 300 Z in USA.

But seriously, have they even delivered 300 of these cars yet? I thought last data we saw was like 264 cars total.....

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Just count how many cartubers and Z shops there are and add about ten for us peasants and you'll have your number.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I know! I should have said 299 or 301!
I realized after I posted that....
But, if I'm going to be pedantic, and I am, Nissan never sold a 300 Z in USA.

But seriously, have they even delivered 300 of these cars yet? I thought last data we saw was like 264 cars total.....
Looks like a lot of us Aussies will be getting cars April/ May.
Trying not to get my hopes up because there have been so many changes…the difference this time is we have build dates, allocations and ETAs in the system for the first time

240SX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14
I imagine if someone really wanted a convertible Z that they could use a lot of parts from a wrecked 370Z to build one themselves