Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
they're superior when it comes to racing
That's the point, they are NOT superior. They're simply faster at physically changing gears, but don't always choose the correct one for the situation, which is why race drivers and driving enthusiasts always use a manual car.

An automatic car is usually picked by the public because they simply can't drive a "stick shift", they're being lazy ("it's easier to drive in city traffic") and/or because car makers are dropping manual models. The local newspaper does a weekly car news section which used to interview various people about their cars, and one standard question was "automatic or manual?" ... almost all of them picked manual, even those that actually drove an automatic car!

Last edited:

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Most of your typical Le Mans cars (and the like) are DCT/PDK/etc.
There are some races where the rules state the car must be also available to the public (even though the race version is modified). In those cases if the manufacture only makes an automatic version, then the race team/driver has no choice, but if available will usually use it in "manual mode" instead.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
That's the point, they are NOT superior. They're simply faster at physically changing gears, but don't always choose the correct one for the situation, which is why race drivers and driving enthusiasts always use a manual car.
In race cars they ARE superior, which is why the majority of race cars have some version of an auto (really the only racing I can think of that has a traditional manual is the circle jerk known as NASCAR). Your statement is completely false.

There's tons of advantages over a manual. AGAIN, just because it's an auto doesn't mean you're letting the car choose when to shift. The driver is still choosing. The speed of shifts are crucial while racing. A human can NOT shift as fast. Clutch in, shift, clutch out takes much longer than 'click'. That's time lost at full throttle. That's spool lost. That's extra things to think about. That's seconds lost.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
There are some races where the rules state the car must be also available to the public (even though the race version is modified). In those cases if the manufacture only makes an automatic version, then the race team/driver has no choice, but if available will usually use it in "manual mode" instead.
... and? There's a reason some of these (most of these) cars are only available with some version of an auto. It's because the auto would be faster, which leaves no reason to develop a manual. Autos are faster. The proof is literally everywhere.

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Many
... and? There's a reason some of these (most of these) cars are only available with some version of an auto. It's because the auto would be faster, which leaves no reason to develop a manual. Autos are faster. The proof is literally everywhere.
Blanket statement

Even with less hp the 6MT is faster here on this day

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Whatever you want to believe. :rolleyes:

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Blanket statement

Even with less hp the 6MT is faster here on this day

This is a horrible fucking example. That's two different cars.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
I am at a track almost every weekend. There are NO instances where a manual of the SAME model is faster than the Auto/paddles.

There is a reason 911-GT3 cup cars, M2csr, m4-GT4s that i know and have driven come with paddles and not a stick. fwiw I am sticking with the Paddle Supra and have no interest in the manual Zupra that is coming.

You can argue that manual is more engaging/manly/traditional or whatever for daily fun, but it stops at the track

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I am at a track almost every weekend. There are NO instances where a manual of the SAME model is faster than the Auto/paddles.

There is a reason 911-GT3 cup cars, M2csr, m4-GT4s that i know and have driven come with paddles and not a stick. fwiw I am sticking with the Paddle Supra and have no interest in the manual Zupra that is coming.

You can argue that manual is more engaging/manly/traditional or whatever for daily fun, but it stops at the track
It's funny what people say when they don't spend time at the track but try to sound like they know what they're talking about.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster

I get ya bro...but didn't you buy a Zupra...??? Hard to pick the other car when you've already spent your money.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
taco bell
I get ya bro...but didn't you buy a Zupra...??? Hard to pick the other car when you've already spent your money.
im an idiot track rat. I would waste money to get into a different platform if manual and if faster than it’s auto sibling in a heart beat.

you don’t get how much money we spend/waste looking for another .5 second on the track !!

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
im an idiot track rat. I would waste money to get into a different platform if manual and if faster than it’s auto sibling in a heart beat.

you don’t get how much money we spend/waste looking for another .5 second on the track !!
Actually I Do Get It, My Idiot Self Had Not 1 But 2 DE Motor 350z And Blindly Chased That Elusive 300WHP Target.

But I Respect Your Game Playah, So Go On And Get Your Track On.
As The Great Playah Poet Michael Jordan Once Stated "You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take"

tumblr_ml6e0m9Roh1s54hnuo4_500.gif

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
taco bell
Actually I Do Get It, My Idiot Self Had Not 1 But 2 DE Motor 350z And Blindly Chased That Elusive 300WHP Target.

But I Respect Your Game Playah, So Go On And Get Your Track On.
As The Great Playah Poet Michael Jordan Once Stated "You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take"

tumblr_ml6e0m9Roh1s54hnuo4_500.gif

I take shots every weekend. Honestly excited to see how the Z does on the track after some people I know have time to mod it.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
No, this 9spd is better than the 7spd - no doubt.

I used to be in the "Stick or Die" camp until I actually drove DCT cars (R35, California, Golf R, M6) then I ended up buying one (Z4) - DCTs are actually fun.

Stick is my #1 choice but, DCT is a very close 2nd - I'll never do a normal torque converter auto unless it's a ZF8 and I just flat out don't have any other choice.

The damned 7spd is the only thing I hate about my Q.....and the fact you're stuck with high offset wheels if you don't want to alter the body