First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi S6
Occupation
Trade Compliance
I've ordered a MT, but am both surprised and concerned by the 0-60 time difference between it an the 9-speed...
I'm familiar with DSGs in European cars and know how quick an auto can be, but that isn't what we have here...

Can anyone given an explanation as to why the manuals are so much slower, and if there are any performance modifications to bring it up to spec with the autos?

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Not even physical. Humans also have to think before taking that action. Autos take everything out of the equation, including human error.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Not even physical. Humans also have to think before taking that action. Autos take everything out of the equation, including human error.
Nailed it! That’s the best part about manuals:D , unless you need it for commuting in traffic.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Plus with the manual in the Z, the clutch isnt a fan of quick gear changes (mainly how quickly your foot comes off clutch with the change). See Kirk K's video on the blue 6Mt in mountains..You can see the car jerk quite a bit when he lifts too quick. Maybe needs a flywheel upgrade to make it smoother?

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
Plus with the manual in the Z, the clutch isnt a fan of quick gear changes (mainly how quickly your foot comes off clutch with the change). See Kirk K's video on the blue 6Mt in mountains..You can see the car jerk quite a bit when he lifts too quick. Maybe needs a flywheel upgrade to make it smoother?
Wonder if the clutch take-up is too high. I hate those designs, my G35S was like that, adjusted some behind the pedal but still annoyingly touchy from standing start.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
since i currently own 5 mt cars, ive been considering an auto with paddle shifters. never driven one, but it could be something fun and different. idk, what are your guys thoughts?

Ballast Scorcher

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan 300zx z32 Mitsubishi Triton MR
Occupation
Locomotive Driver
since i currently own 5 mt cars, ive been considering an auto with paddle shifters. never driven one, but it could be something fun and different. idk, what are your guys thoughts?
Same as you in regards to having manuals currently - and previously - and with my ordered preference being a MT Proto, but my offered Proto being an Auto, im trying to see the silver lining in it all. To keep it in Perspective, im looking at moving to a capital city in the next few years so the auto has clear advantages in that respect.

Can always sell it if shit doesn't work out 😉

..Plus, they do say that change is as good as a holiday

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Wonder if the clutch take-up is too high. I hate those designs, my G35S was like that, adjusted some behind the pedal but still annoyingly touchy from standing start.
I would venture a guess and say yes..The 370z had a similar issue along with a very mute feeling for majority of the duration of the clutch until the grabbing point and then again no feel..It def takes some getting used to

G37

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Coupe 6MT, Q50S Hybrid, MDX
Occupation
Self
Simple, a computer controlled automatic changes gears faster than a human being can physically operate a clutch, shifter and gas pedal. Theres nothing that can fix that but practicing your technic. ATs will always have faster 0-60 times.
Not always. Witness the Toyobaru twins. They’re quicker in a stick than in an automatic.

G37

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Coupe 6MT, Q50S Hybrid, MDX
Occupation
Self
Same as you in regards to having manuals currently - and previously - and with my ordered preference being a MT Proto, but my offered Proto being an Auto, im trying to see the silver lining in it all. To keep it in Perspective, im looking at moving to a capital city in the next few years so the auto has clear advantages in that respect.

Can always sell it if shit doesn't work out 😉

..Plus, they do say that change is as good as a holiday
If I had five cars, at least one would be an automatic because I hate driving a stick in traffic, despite my proficiency.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
Still can't believe none these transmissions get the 400hp at 4 secs or under in the Z. BMWs B58 still performs better, although doubt the "382" hp is actual, probably quite a bit understated per dyno numbers.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
Still can't believe none these transmissions get the 400hp at 4 secs or under in the Z. BMWs B58 still performs better, although doubt the "382" hp is actual, probably quite a bit understated per dyno numbers.
Didn’t Hagerty get the 9AT Z to 60mph in 4secs flat? 🤔

Hammo25

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi A5
I might get shot down for this suggestion, but years ago I drove a HSV Monaro (in Australia) with a 5.7L V8 and a heavy 6 speed ZF manual transmission. I dealt with the twitchiness in heavy stop start traffic by using second gear rather than first. Car had plenty of power and it just made it so much more manageable in peak hour.