DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
I don't place a lot of weight on these fly and drive first reviews for the most part. History is replete with cars that were initially almost universally lauded at these events but were later found to somewhat mysteriously come up short in full and long term tests, comparison reviews, and best-of shootouts. Remember that old adage, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"?

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I don't place a lot of weight on these fly and drive first reviews for the most part. History is replete with cars that were initially almost universally lauded at these events but were later found to somewhat mysteriously come up short in full and long term tests, comparison reviews, and best-of shootouts. Remember that old adage, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"?
then why watch them at all?

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
then why watch them at all?
"Not a lot of weight" doesn't mean I see them as having absolutely no value. And there is always the possibility someone will buck the whitewash trend, as in fact Jason Cammisa does above. I expect Savagegeese will be frank as well.

MattMaran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Occupation
Car reviews on YouTube
For what it's worth, I never drink the kool-aid and always call things how I see them, and in my experience car companies have no problems as long as the criticisms are fair. I've only seen car companies get upset if the reviewer lies, overly exaggerates a negative, or spreads inaccurate information (intentionally or unintentionally) despite sitting in an hour long presentation with the correct info. Or if they're reckless of course.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
For what it's worth, I never drink the kool-aid and always call things how I see them, and in my experience car companies have no problems as long as the criticisms are fair. I've only seen car companies get upset if the reviewer lies, overly exaggerates a negative, or spreads inaccurate information (intentionally or unintentionally) despite sitting in an hour long presentation with the correct info. Or if they're reckless of course.
Yes, maybe I was a bit too cynical there, there have to be characteristics that only reveal themselves with more and varied seat time and in side by side comparisons. As Mark states himself in his Savagegeese piece today, he can't say yet what might annoy him about street driving the new Z as he hasn't done any.

But that said it's interesting that both he and Jason Cammisa have had a lot of track time with the car and yet come to widely differing conclusions about its handling, especially how easily any induced oversteer can be managed.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Yes, maybe I was a bit too cynical there, there have to be characteristics that only reveal themselves with more and varied seat time and in side by side comparisons. As Mark states himself in his Savagegeese piece today, he can't say yet what might annoy him about street driving the new Z as he hasn't done any.

But that said it's interesting that both he and Jason Cammisa have had a lot of track time with the car and yet come to widely differing conclusions about its handling, especially how easily any induced oversteer can be managed.
But you were one of the ones that said you lived these guys and it’s the review to watch…now you don’t like the price are you saying they don’t know their stuff.
It was clear they were overjoyed with the car and believe it will be well worth the money

Last edited:

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
But you were one of the ones that said you lived these guys and it’s the review to watch…now you don’t like the price are you saying they don’t know their stuff.
It was clear they were overjoyed with the car and believe it gi be well worth the money
Huh? Jack said himself in the review that he hadn't done any street driving with the Z and so couldn't offer much on that front - and has stated here that more would be coming later. The normal Savagegese review includes that element which obviously makes it more useful.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Huh? Jack said himself in the review that he hadn't done any street driving with the Z and so couldn't offer much on that front - and had stated here that more would be coming later. The normal Savagegese review includes that element which obviously makes it more useful.
So you totally ignore the part where they say it’s totally worth it and it has more connectivity than most more expensive cars…just cherry picking what you want to hear?

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
So you totally ignore the part where they say it’s totally worth it and it has more connectivity than most more expensive cars…just cherry picking what you want to hear?
No, I'd never buy a street car based solely on a track- only test, no matter who did it. That's hardly cherry- picking lol.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
No, I'd never buy a street car based solely on a track- only test, no matter who did it. That's hardly cherry- picking lol.
Whatever, you obviously can’t afford it, so have thrown the toys out with the bath water….ill just enjoy my car, you dont want one, good…less on the road to make them more unique

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Whatever, you obviously can’t afford it, so have thrown the toys out with the bath water….ill just enjoy my car, you dont want one, good…less on the road to make them more unique
That's right. You do you.