2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Sad to say but I think the Zupra sounds better...

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Sad to say but I think the Zupra sounds better...
Displacement being equal, I generally prefer the sound of a I6 over a V6, but I haven't looked up any stock B58 exhaust videos to hear how it compares to this. I definitely hear a ton of engine noise and not enough exhaust in the video, but it is a Japanese model with stricter emissions.

I find most all 6 cylinders to be too quiet from the factory and since we don't have emissions here I'll be throwing new downpipes on it practically day 1 anyway, but I get that a lot of people want sports cars to sound more aggressive out the gate.

If the 3.0 Supra really sounds that good stock then that might be a first for BMW on a "newer" turbo engine besides the S58. The N54 and N55 are pretty quiet stock, and I've heard a lot of people over the years say that the S55 doesn't sound good at all. In the S55's defense I think it was never going to sound good to some people considering it was indirectly replacing the S65 which is a hard sound to beat.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Is Japan getting a different set up?
Who knows.
We've seen a what should be a fairly vocal exhaust under a LHD Z on a car transport. And the muffler used on JDM Z's, that we've seen so far, have been the typical Calsonic that looks similar to the one used on the Infiniti coupe.

There is very likely some noise pollution regulations in Japan preventing Nissan from having a louder exhaust in the home market.

Just me speculating, the JDM cars are ridiculously quiet.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
This is also of a Z not under load—so I don't know if it's fair to say it sounds whack until we get more videos of it in action. Swore I heard this notion before, did a quick search, and came across the following (via r/cars):

"It has to do with cylinder pressure.

When you rev the engine, there is no load resisting the rev increase, so as the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder ignites, the engine speeds up much faster, thus creating lower back pressure. The exhaust note you hear is basically the "pop" of each cylinder as the exhaust valves open up to let out the leftover pressure from combustion. If you are loading the engine (accelerating the car), there is much more pressure in the cylinders when the valves open making the cooler "sick exhaust" you can show off to your friends.

This is why if you are in say 6th gear at 55 mph, and floor it, the engine instantly sounds different, even before you speed increases.

Tl, DR: MO pressure = MO sick exhaust"

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
JDM spec, not USDM
Who knows.
We've seen a what should be a fairly vocal exhaust under a LHD Z on a car transport. And the muffler used on JDM Z's, that we've seen so far, have been the typical Calsonic that looks similar to the one used on the Infiniti coupe.

There is very likely some noise pollution regulations in Japan preventing Nissan from having a louder exhaust in the home market.

Just me speculating, the JDM cars are ridiculously quiet.
This. The US Performance trim cars will sound better than this, but nothing amazing. If you want amazing you need at least down pipes if not down pipes and cat back to really get the full hoorah out of the exhaust.

MZGA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z
Sounds like @ss. Hopefully the U.S. version will be better.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Nothing an aftermarket exhaust wont fix. Half of the people buying the Z will be upgrading these parts anyway
100% agreed. Just look at how much better the Q50/Q60 red sport sound with JUST a FI/ARK Exhaust and rest remaining stock.

Also, can't compare a stock VR30 TT to a B58/B9 Single Turbo. The TT's restrict the exhaust quite a bit: Catted downpipes (upper and lower), plus cats within y pipe, then resonator in midpipe and ending with massive suitcase muffler. That's a ton of sound killing which is why Infiniti probably released the "sport" exhaust which just removes the suitcase in favor of "short tails".. With the B58 or B9 (Audi) there is a single Downpipe, resonated midpipe and then suitcase muffler. Done. So stock sounds really nice, especially when the suitcase muffler is smaller on both M340i/S4 compared to Q50/Q60.

US Version Z will most likely have smaller rear section (muffler)...

TheGuverment

For profit. Strictly business.
First Name
Strickland
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX hatchback
I really don't understand why people are trippin over a stock exhaust, especially from a ttV6. A majority of people are going to be changing it out anyway, unless they're hell bent on keeping it completely stock.

Last edited: