2022 Toyota Tundra Leaked!

Y_PLZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan
Some insider is claiming the Sequoia will be revealed by November at the LA auto show and in dealers by March of 2022.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Occupation
Freeloader
Supposedly the Sequoia was getting the axed after 2020 because of low sales when compared to the 1st gen, but Toyota dealers were up and arms and Toyota reconsidered.

supraboi

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GS300
The first gen Sequoia sold like hot cakes. I knew tons of people with them. I always wonder why the current model never really caught on. At first I thought it was because of the higher price tag, but after applying inflation the price differences was only around $2k. On the flip side both gens of Tundras seem to have been doing relatively decent.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
I've owned my Titan over 12 years, and I love the truck.
So disappointed in the 2016+ Titan, I'm going to be looking at the new Tundra to replace it.
Having a conundrum right now, looking at both the Z and the Tundra. I want both (I usually own a car and a truck concurrently) but I can't decide which one is more urgent.
Just curious as to what disappoints you about the Titan... not that I'm looking to fight with you about it or anything. I can understand as I think Nissan did half-ass it and tried to recover with the 2020 (which I have owned a 2017, a 2018, and now my 2020 Pro4X). If they had started with the 2020 it would have been a far better launch.

That said, this is all before the Tundra debuted. Nissan tried to benchmark the Tundra with the 2nd gen Titan (and honestly did well, but should have aimed higher than a 10 year old Toyota design). Toyota is going for Ford's throat with this iForce Max. The styling is very... Toyota... I just don't know if I can get there. The interior may very well be best in class though. I'm thoroughly impressed with the interior in every single way.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Just curious as to what disappoints you about the Titan... not that I'm looking to fight with you about it or anything. I can understand as I think Nissan did half-ass it and tried to recover with the 2020 (which I have owned a 2017, a 2018, and now my 2020 Pro4X). If they had started with the 2020 it would have been a far better launch.

That said, this is all before the Tundra debuted. Nissan tried to benchmark the Tundra with the 2nd gen Titan (and honestly did well, but should have aimed higher than a 10 year old Toyota design). Toyota is going for Ford's throat with this iForce Max. The styling is very... Toyota... I just don't know if I can get there. The interior may very well be best in class though. I'm thoroughly impressed with the interior in every single way.
I was very disappointed in Nissan ripping off Ford design this time around. The door glass line, headlight switch moved to the dash and the overall dash style ripped off Ford. The headlights are bulbous, and the front grill is huge for no reason, it's the same chassis and 95% same engine and tow rating (non XD) as the Gen 1, so there's no good reason the front is so huge.

Nail in the coffin for me was/is the cylinder 7 failures, and Nissan won't let anyone know why it happened.

The refresh with the new 9AT goes a long way to improving the truck, but it is no where near the unique game changer as the Gen 1. Gen 2 feels phoned-in and I value my hard earned money too much.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
I was very disappointed in Nissan ripping off Ford design this time around. The door glass line, headlight switch moved to the dash and the overall dash style ripped off Ford. The headlights are bulbous, and the front grill is huge for no reason, it's the same chassis and 95% same engine and tow rating (non XD) as the Gen 1, so there's no good reason the front is so huge.

Nail in the coffin for me was/is the cylinder 7 failures, and Nissan won't let anyone know why it happened.

The refresh with the new 9AT goes a long way to improving the truck, but it is no where near the unique game changer as the Gen 1. Gen 2 feels phoned-in and I value my hard earned money too much.
The history of the gen 2 Titan is definitely a unique one. They initially had the partnership with Dodge to build gen 2 on Ram 1500 Hemi chassis (pure Ghosn-era Nissan at its finest) and when Chrysler sold in 2009, Sergio axed the crap out of that. So Nissan was already building toward Hemi Titans and had to restart with any and all money spent yielding ZERO ROI. It did end up freeing up the Cummins opportunity, but that was a wildly botched execution. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to build the "new" Titan as a 5/8 ton truck when it really wasn't. It didn't sell, the Cummins configuration was full of issues, and the half ton version just didn't land because it wasn't special at anything. I still bought one because I'm a Nissan shill and the rebates were stupendous (I thought I wanted a Frontier Pro4X but it was literally $4000 from the Frontier P4X to my 2017 Titan P4X with Utility Package after the Titan rebates so I went for it... got more truck capability and better fuel economy than the Frontier despite the larger package... I was happy. But I wasn't a truck guy coming into it.... you weren't going to sell these Titans to truck guys.)

The cylinder 7 failures are truly odd. The direct-injected version of the VK56 has been around since 2011 in the QX56/QX80 (and to a lesser extent, the M56/Q70). What was so different about the construction of the motors for the Titan's build that caused that problem? By now, you expected them to have the powertrain for this truck as ROCK SOLID as you can possibly have it, and there were too many quality anomalies with the Titan that should never have been there. My 2017 got lemoned for transmission issues among numerous other things and I ended up in my 2018. The early COVID deals on the 2020 enticed me into a test drive for it, and I bought it because it was just overall a much better truck with the new transmission and the other enhancements.

The 2020 version of the truck is a great truck in a vacuum. However, this Tundra is likely the final nail in the coffin for it. Initially, with the strong rebates and such, the Titan had a place in the market. But now a loaded P4X with moonroof is $62k. There's a lot of half ton out there for $62k these days, and if you're going to drop $62k for a truck... you're awfully close to a Raptor, and right there on a very nicely equipped Ram Rebel, which is arguably a nicer truck all the way around.

I really hate Nissan screwed this up. I wanted them to win here. But it's what happens when you are late to market with a truck that you benchmarked against the 4th place seller that was already 10 years old. They got what they deserved here. If you're not going to compete, don't bother.

I'm glad they got their heads out of their asses with the Frontier though... it's looking to be an absolutely solid competitor to the Tacoma. Because they benchmarked first place this time. They apparently want to win the segment, and I feel like they can. I don't get the impression they ever wanted to do that with the Titan. (I'll admit, it's a long leap from 20k sales a year to 20k sales per month that the F-150 gets, and I get R&D budgeting and all that... but come on guys.)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The history of the gen 2 Titan is definitely a unique one. They initially had the partnership with Dodge to build gen 2 on Ram 1500 Hemi chassis (pure Ghosn-era Nissan at its finest) and when Chrysler sold in 2009, Sergio axed the crap out of that. So Nissan was already building toward Hemi Titans and had to restart with any and all money spent yielding ZERO ROI. It did end up freeing up the Cummins opportunity, but that was a wildly botched execution. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to build the "new" Titan as a 5/8 ton truck when it really wasn't. It didn't sell, the Cummins configuration was full of issues, and the half ton version just didn't land because it wasn't special at anything. I still bought one because I'm a Nissan shill and the rebates were stupendous (I thought I wanted a Frontier Pro4X but it was literally $4000 from the Frontier P4X to my 2017 Titan P4X with Utility Package after the Titan rebates so I went for it... got more truck capability and better fuel economy than the Frontier despite the larger package... I was happy. But I wasn't a truck guy coming into it.... you weren't going to sell these Titans to truck guys.)

The cylinder 7 failures are truly odd. The direct-injected version of the VK56 has been around since 2011 in the QX56/QX80 (and to a lesser extent, the M56/Q70). What was so different about the construction of the motors for the Titan's build that caused that problem? By now, you expected them to have the powertrain for this truck as ROCK SOLID as you can possibly have it, and there were too many quality anomalies with the Titan that should never have been there. My 2017 got lemoned for transmission issues among numerous other things and I ended up in my 2018. The early COVID deals on the 2020 enticed me into a test drive for it, and I bought it because it was just overall a much better truck with the new transmission and the other enhancements.

The 2020 version of the truck is a great truck in a vacuum. However, this Tundra is likely the final nail in the coffin for it. Initially, with the strong rebates and such, the Titan had a place in the market. But now a loaded P4X with moonroof is $62k. There's a lot of half ton out there for $62k these days, and if you're going to drop $62k for a truck... you're awfully close to a Raptor, and right there on a very nicely equipped Ram Rebel, which is arguably a nicer truck all the way around.

I really hate Nissan screwed this up. I wanted them to win here. But it's what happens when you are late to market with a truck that you benchmarked against the 4th place seller that was already 10 years old. They got what they deserved here. If you're not going to compete, don't bother.

I'm glad they got their heads out of their asses with the Frontier though... it's looking to be an absolutely solid competitor to the Tacoma. Because they benchmarked first place this time. They apparently want to win the segment, and I feel like they can. I don't get the impression they ever wanted to do that with the Titan. (I'll admit, it's a long leap from 20k sales a year to 20k sales per month that the F-150 gets, and I get R&D budgeting and all that... but come on guys.)
My Gen 1 Titan has been so reliable. It's 15 years old, I've owned it 12. If it wasn't for the cylinder 7 issue on the Gen 2, I probably would forgive the Ford cues for some compelling discounts.

I'm not happy the Frontier got the Ford door window too. And I considered the Frontier as a downsize option, but I can't get the king cab with Pro-4x, so that puts me out.
I'm not sure the new Frontier will do well, last gen did great because of it's excellent value, and Nissan killed that when they killed the 4 banger and manual.

I've been looking at the new Tundra, man you can get the TRD off road package on every trim except SR, every cab and bed combo and it brings rear lock and terrain control. I'm very excited to check it out.

MARLEY

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 RAM 1500 Laramie
Occupation
US Coast Guard
That is way too much length for me. Wow. Granted the TitanXD is basically the same thing having the 6.5ft bed available on the crew cab. But the cabin is shorter in the Titan so overall length is still shorter than the new Tundra CrewMax with the 6.5ft bed.
I went from driving a GTI to a Ram 1500 crew cab with a 6.5' bed. It took some getting used to but now it doesn't even feel that big.

I wouldn't buy a truck with anything less than a 6' bed personally. I like to carry a few of my surfboards at most times and want to be able to lock them under the tonneau cover.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
For the big truck lovers: if you live in Euro or Asia, would you buy and own this Tundra?

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
For the big truck lovers: if you live in Euro or Asia, would you buy and own this Tundra?
If they were available to even purchase outside of the US you mean? Because they're not and they won't ever be.

You never make sense in anything you ask.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
My Gen 1 Titan has been so reliable. It's 15 years old, I've owned it 12.
I'm not sure the new Frontier will do well, last gen did great because of it's excellent value, and Nissan killed that when they killed the 4 banger and manual.
I hope that Titan reliability you've experienced carries over for my 2020. I'll turn over 20k miles today. I really do like it and if I trade for a Tundra that's going to push my sports car purchase out that much longer. I'm going to put my blinders on against the TRD Pro Tundra. The overall package, styling quirks and all, looks great and has really caught my attention.

I think the Frontier will do exceptionally well because the market landscape has changed so dramatically for midsize trucks. Trucks in general are now marketed as recreational vehicles in addition to work vehicles. Hell, the Ram Limited won "luxury interior/car of the year" from cars.com last year or something. Trucks are very different now. Even Toyota acknowledged they're aiming the Tundra squarely at the recreational segment of buyers.

The new Frontier Pro4X absolutely nails the lifestyle/recreational midsize truck category the Tacoma has carved out and sold in droves to. The Toyota TRD Pro line is a cash cow these days. The Frontier fits right in with that whole image and proposition and is priced accordingly. The reviews are golden as far as driving dynamics go. Unlike the Titan, the Frontier has a lot more leeway with payload/towing specs as the majority of people in that segment don't need cutting edge towing capability or payload capability. The Frontier absolutely does enough to be competitive in its segment.