Gambler

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I'd take this ^ with a grain of salt, and be prepared to sit tight - per the Subaru rep I talked to at the Miami Auto Show, she said they were "going dark" with the STi for at least a year. She also mentioned something about a redesign, but didn't share much in terms of specifics.

OP
OP
awl_ceeing_eyeZ
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S (EQT stg 1)
Occupation
Gambler
Well then I guess I will be buying a Z first lol. What is Subaru doing over there. The MK8 Golf R has been out for over a year…

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I'd take this ^ with a grain of salt, and be prepared to sit tight - per the Subaru rep I talked to at the Miami Auto Show, she said they were "going dark" with the STi for at least a year. She also mentioned something about a redesign, but didn't share much in terms of specifics.
when you say 're-design', do they mean the entire sheet metal? i know they got a lot of backlash about how it looks like a crosstrek, but i wonder how far along they are set up on going into production.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Well then I guess I will be buying a Z first lol. What is Subaru doing over there. The MK8 Golf R has been out for over a year…
If by "out" you mean revealed and circulating at auto shows, etc. yeah - but it's not available to buy yet. Have been somewhat intrigued by it, but I don't love the idea of owning a VW outside of warranty period.

when you say 're-design', do they mean the entire sheet metal? i know they got a lot of backlash about how it looks like a crosstrek, but i wonder how far along they are set up on going into production.
Unfortunately she didn't elaborate. Dunno if it's because she didn't have details, or didn't want to say. If I had to guess, I'd assume the former.

I'd love to see sales projections on this redesign - have a feeling it'll either do really well because it's appealing to Crosstrek owners and the like that want something more edgy, or if it'll absolutely tank because they've burned WRX fans.

OP
OP
awl_ceeing_eyeZ
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S (EQT stg 1)
Occupation
Gambler
@therumblewagon

Yes, you are correct that it’s not out in the US But it has been out in Europe for a long time. We always get shit super slow here. Plus all the chip shortages and world wide transportation issues, it’s only going to take longer.

I’m impatient and want another STi I’m currently in a MK7.5 GTI Stage 1 but miss AWD and more power!

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Here is what the new STI will most likely look like. Definitely looks better than the regular new WRX, but still not my thing.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Was really hoping for a redesign. Maybe they'll still come through. I don't like it—was hoping they'd fix the fake vents, the wing looks like slapped on garbage, don't get me started on the bumper and wheel arches...I could go on and on.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
STI keeps looking worse and worse. First they made it look like a Corolla and now there's this abomination. I miss the old bug eye/blob eye/hawk eye days.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
on the positive side...this new design could keep the value of the older gens high for a long time to come

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
on the positive side...this new design could keep the value of the older gens high for a long time to come
Is it really all that positive though for us that want a STI up through '07? ??

From what I find most of these cars have really been driven which is no surprise. Some lower mileage ones are already demanding $40k+.

Zero

First Name
Eusebio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru WRX STI 2021
Occupation
Pharmacy student
Yea bought an optioned 2021 STI (Couldnt wait longer for the New Z to come out) and I can sell it for more than I bought it for. Market is crazy and people just dont like the new design, even if it still gonna sell.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack, 1996 Rx-7
The new WRX styling is really unfortunate. It's right in the sweet spot of price vs. performance for a driver's daily vehicle.....but those wheel arches are just plain hideous.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
sadly everyone is focused on the esthetics rather than performance...it's a shame because i keep seeing so many great reviews on its driving capabilities.

maybe there will be an aftermarket solution...