Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Coupe 6MT, Q50S Hybrid, MDX
Occupation
Self
This is you dude, on both forums:

Let me start by saying that Toyota doesn’t make a Supra. Just because Toyota got lazy and slapped an ugly suit on the Z4 doesn’t make it a Supra. It’s just a “MKV” for lack of a more polite term. As for the MT MKV, it’ll be an all-around better car than the Z (based on metrics) but I’d never wed such an ugly bride, nor one with the genetic defects inherent in all BMWs that make them ridiculously expensive to own, maintain and repair in the long term. Besides, you should know they can’t be driven with the windows open over 50mph because of the worst buffeting in the industry. MKV fans turn a blind eye to the car’s looks and the buffeting flaw because it performs so well. The problem with that is that you still have to look at it and pay a LOT to keep it going after the warranty is over. That, and you have to tape or glue aftermarket plastic airfoils on both mirrors to fix the defect (shame on Toyota) knowing they’ll likely fall off eventually at high speed somewhere down the line. Meanwhile, the Z, being made exclusively in Japan, and being the only six-cylinder Japanese sports car for sale in the US (real Japanese steel) has metrics that are basically 9/10ths of the MKV. A change to Michelins (if Nissan has half a brain) will narrow that already small gap while we await the common sense Sport+LSD+brakes trim for $46K and the eventual sub-$60K Nismo. Besides, the seat-of-the-pants can’t tell the difference between a few tenths in any metric that matters. It cannot be overstated how disappointingly awkward the MKV looks. It’s as if the design had been taken from a high schooler’s Gundam-Anime nightmare. I’ve posted this sentiment on other boards in case these words seem familiar.

Last edited:

TheGuverment

For profit. Strictly business.
First Name
Strickland
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX hatchback
Let me start by saying that Toyota doesn’t make a Supra. Just because Toyota got lazy and slapped an ugly suit on the Z4 doesn’t make it a Supra. It’s just a “MKV” for lack of a more polite term. As for the MT MKV, it’ll be an all-around better car than the Z (based on metrics) but I’d never wed such an ugly bride, nor one with the genetic defects inherent in all BMWs that make them ridiculously expensive to own, maintain and repair in the long term. Besides, you should know they can’t be driven with the windows open over 50mph because of the worst buffeting in the industry. MKV fans turn a blind eye to the car’s looks and the buffeting flaw because it performs so well. The problem with that is that you still have to look at it and pay a LOT to keep it going after the warranty is over. That, and you have to tape or glue aftermarket plastic airfoils on both mirrors to fix the defect (shame on Toyota) knowing they’ll likely fall off eventually at high speed somewhere down the line. Meanwhile, the Z, being made exclusively in Japan, and being the only six-cylinder Japanese sports car for sale in the US (real Japanese steel) has metrics that are basically 9/10ths of the MKV. A change to Michelins (if Nissan has half a brain) will narrow that already small gap while we await the common sense Sport+LSD+brakes trim for $46K and the eventual sub-$60K Nismo. Besides, the seat-of-the-pants can’t tell the difference between a few tenths in any metric that matters. It cannot be overstated how disappointingly awkward the MKV looks. It’s as if the design had been taken from high schooler’s Gundam-Anime nightmare. I’ve posted this sentiment on other boards in case these words seem familiar.
CE86508E-A0BE-4097-B00F-F39B5DD09DD8.gif

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
Let me start by saying that Toyota doesn’t make a Supra. Just because Toyota got lazy and slapped an ugly suit on the Z4 doesn’t make it a Supra. It’s just a “MKV” for lack of a more polite term. As for the MT MKV, it’ll be an all-around better car than the Z (based on metrics) but I’d never wed such an ugly bride, nor one with the genetic defects inherent in all BMWs that make them ridiculously expensive to own, maintain and repair in the long term. Besides, you should know they can’t be driven with the windows open over 50mph because of the worst buffeting in the industry. MKV fans turn a blind eye to the car’s looks and the buffeting flaw because it performs so well. The problem with that is that you still have to look at it and pay a LOT to keep it going after the warranty is over. That, and you have to tape or glue aftermarket plastic airfoils on both mirrors to fix the defect (shame on Toyota) knowing they’ll likely fall off eventually at high speed somewhere down the line. Meanwhile, the Z, being made exclusively in Japan, and being the only six-cylinder Japanese sports car for sale in the US (real Japanese steel) has metrics that are basically 9/10ths of the MKV. A change to Michelins (if Nissan has half a brain) will narrow that already small gap while we await the common sense Sport+LSD+brakes trim for $46K and the eventual sub-$60K Nismo. Besides, the seat-of-the-pants can’t tell the difference between a few tenths in any metric that matters. It cannot be overstated how disappointingly awkward the MKV looks. It’s as if the design had been taken from high schooler’s Gundam-Anime nightmare. I’ve posted this sentiment on other boards in case these words seem familiar.
ezgif-1-e49a567920.gif

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
Well written my friend. You actually made me laugh out loud. You are bang on. When I had my Boxster and was getting upgrades by my porsche shop (not dealer) BMW's were in there left right and centre with blown transmissions, and head gasket problems. And that was on every BMW. The Z is basically bullet proof compared to that. They always have been. Probably the Z32 might be the most bullet proof of all time.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
In a closet, you seem to praise Toyota so highly. Do you think BMW deserves the partnership with the almighty Toyota?

G37

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Self
In a closet, you seem to praise Toyota so highly. Do you think BMW deserves the partnership with the almighty Toyota?
Do I detect sarcasm? Toyota can and will do what they want, but what they did by taking a hallowed name and four generations of sports car history and throwing it out the window because they thought it would save them some money was a terrible decision. Toyota never should’ve contracted with BMW to make a “Toyota” Supra. Claims it would’ve been too expensive to do it themselves turned out to be BS. Witness tiny Mazda that was able to produce their own twin turbo inline-six. BMW was the winner in the partnership because they’re selling more Z4’s whereas Toyota doesn’t even make their own sports cars. They’ve left that to Subaru and BMW. The Toyobaru twins are great cars that for their price produce great numbers, they’re very good-looking and over time will closely approximate Toyota reliability, and Toyota costs of maintenance, repair and ownership. The MKV, while producing great numbers is neither good-looking, nor will it be reliable, cheap to repair, maintain and own in the long term. At least the Z is authentic and produces numbers that are quite good on their own. The above also begs the question, what kinda of a sports car will Mazda make with what is likely a jewel of a powertrain - one that Toyota should’ve made themselves.

G37

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Self
Sub $60k NISMO? Good luck with that.
I have a feeling that cash-strapped Nissan won’t be giving us a 450hp+ Nismo with substantive carbon fiber parts so they’ll do more of what they did with the Z - spend as little as possible to make it happen so they won’t be able to give us too much more than what the Z already offers. I expect maybe 420hp, a d0uch3y wing (hopefully with a wing-delete option) some better wheels, tires, brakes and an improved suspension, so they’re going to have to keep it below a C8 Corvette’s MSRP. If it looked like the orange Fairlady Z, that would be a huge victory. Maybe I’m right, maybe I’m wrong, but a $65K Nismo won’t sell unless there’s some major work done to the car and at such small volumes, Nissan would never justify the investment. I think $60K, a psychological barrier, suggests that $59,990 will be the number, especially since the Sport is $39,990. It’s all just talk at this point. Time will tell.
33EAA3D2-A3F6-4A52-8485-97DD5E8A2746.jpeg

Last edited:

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
I have a feeling that cash-strapped Nissan won’t be giving us a 450hp+ Nismo with substantive carbon fiber parts so they’ll do more of what they did with the Z - spend as little as possible to make it happen so they won’t be able to give us too much more than what the Z already offers. I expect maybe 420hp, a d0uch3y wing (hopefully with a wing-delete option) some better wheels, tires, brakes and an improved suspension, so they’re going to have to keep it below a C8 Corvette’s MSRP. If it looked like the orange Fairlady Z, that would be a huge victory. Maybe I’m right, maybe I’m wrong, but a $65K Nismo won’t sell unless there’s some major work done to the car and at such small volumes, Nissan would never justify the investment. I think $60K, a psychological barrier, suggests that $59,990 will be the number, especially since the Sport is $39,990. It’s all just talk at this point. Time will tell.
33EAA3D2-A3F6-4A52-8485-97DD5E8A2746.jpeg
I had a feeling cash-strapped Nissan wouldn't be selling a non-Nismo Z for $50k+ yet here we are. No shot it's under $60k, and with ADMs you're probably looking more like $70k.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell

G37

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Self
I had a feeling cash-strapped Nissan wouldn't be selling a non-Nismo Z for $50k+ yet here we are. No shot it's under $60k, and with ADMs you're probably looking more like $70k.
A cash-strapped Nissan knew they’d sell every $52K Performance model they can make, at least in the first full year of production because they can’t make that many (for now). As the newness wears off, few will want the Sport (even for $40K) as it lacks the LSD & brakes, while a $52K Z doesn’t sit well with those who just want the LSD & brakes. The current pricing strategy will fail as a $52K “volume leader” is unsustainable. That’ll force Nissan to offer another trim tier, a Sport+LSD+brakes for about $46K - that’s the sweet spot that’ll drive sales big time. The ADM (on a Nismo or otherwise) won’t last forever. Once production is up to speed, the number of dopes willing to pay well above MSRP will dwindle rapidly. The 2020 370Z Nismo had a $46,685 MSRP. I don’t think it’s too big an ask to expect the next one to be $13k more at just under $60K though at this point it’s just talk.