First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
Yeah, I was thinking of checking one out a couple months ago and went over to the Supra forum for advice and not one person on there recommended getting one. It kind of shocked me. I mean I don't really care that its basically a BMW as they have some good cars. It is pretty quick and sounds awesome for a 6 cylinder, but the styling is a little over the top for me and it has some weird quirks like no cooled seats and lots of complaints of wind buffeting and its a little pricey.

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
If Toyota was head strong about using those odd proportions they could have at least tried to make it look more like the concept.

Case in point.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
While we plan to get the new Z, I quite like the styling of Supra. The recall is unfortunate, but we’ll get through it.

looking forward the Z while enjoying the A90.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
ok, I'm gonna say it...that first targa zupr4 link referred to most supra fans as...
"Haters can whine and moan all they want about the absence of a successor to the twin-turbo 2JZ-GTE or the lack of a six-speed manual gearbox..."

tl;dr
it's still a bmw, not jdm no matter how they put lipstick on a pig.

keep reading if you want to know in a nutshell (edit: a rather large nutshell now) what the supra controversy is all about.

prob around 90% of orig sf supra owners, do not like the zupr4 for this reason. we wanted a reliable, well built, japanese ft1 concept type car, not a german/austrian oil consuming, wind buffeting, timing belt facing the firewall, brittle plastic in the engine bay parts car built on a short 2 seat z4 platform with fake vents that doesn't even offer a manual option.

i've been lurking on supraforums (or sf) since 2007 and joined in 2010 when i could afford my dream car...a 93 mkiv hardtop in alpine silver. later on bought a white 88 mklll targa 7m turbo. then acquired my current blue 95 mkiv hardtop around 2017...so i know these cars and love them as may others do on sf.

believe me guys when i say we were excited over at sf. finally after over 20 yrs (1998 last year in usa) the legend was returning. we were rooting for the supra and happy to get something new we could, mod, track or daily. as you know or are finding out, that did not happen for a majority of us. we felt it was just a money grab on on toyotas part...tarnishing the heritage of this legendary name that many of the past supra owners spent years and untold amounts of money building these cars up while helping toyotas reputation.

you guys that have owned or own any z's or gtr's can prob sympathize with what i just said so far. there is a pride and heritage in owning one one of these cars. the newer folks here or who those aren't z 'car guy/gals' yet may not feel the same thing at this time. but imagine with me if nissan would have done something similar. say they teased the proto for 4 or so years and you are excited as you are now about it. lets say renault built the "new z" in france using their standards instead of nissans? then offered a less powerful car with few options and no manual trans. then the car presented look nothing like the proto and didn't come through on many of the things they promised.

toyota, the number 1 automaker in universe says the zupr4 could not be built without bmw...they couldnt afford to. then you see nissan the 6th or 7th ranked, who are going through financial issues, covid, and leadership problems building their own halo car in house (r35) and on top of that developing the new z (with manual option) to compete/or even beat the zupr4 at a lower price-point. how does that make sense? my 04 white 350z was a good, fun reliable car. that is why i joined here, toyota didn't do it for me this time, but hopefully nissan will.

lets address some of the zurp4 fanboi points...

the 2jzgte/3jz - yes we wanted a successor to this mythic overbuilt icon. yes we wanted more power, yes we wanted inline 6, but this was not a deal breaker for most. they could have used a toyota built or lexus turbo V6 engine and tuned it. this would have saved money, but then again they are the richest car company in the world and could have developed one easily. didn't yamaha build the 2jz engine? no, they helped with/developed/r&d'd the heads. again another japanese company plus toyota owned stock in them. i think it would have been cool to bring back the lfa engine...expensive, but still pretty cool.

the targa - again not a deal breaker for most. the hardtop is sought after and commands a premium when sold because it was rare, lighter and stronger structurally....just ask any of the 1/4 mile guys. the targa is loved by many and obviously has a cool factor...wind in your hair and all that jazz. i personally enjoyed my targa, but love hardtops more.

the 6spd - dare i say one of the best trans ever? yes it was built by getrag, yes it was german and is awesome. i (and we) will give credit where credit is due. a manual is a must have for most. this would probably have been the number 1 issue supra owners would have had with the car. heck i think even on here nearly 80% want to row gears in their z according to the poll. i would have bought one anyways so i could paddle shift like a madman, though i prefer a stick.

the callab - some will say, didn't toyota team up with subaru for the frs/brz/gt86? yes they did, but guess what, both companies are japanese. which means true jdm and still better and more reliable than most euros. i'd prob own a brz if was more powerful and had more torque. i had an unmodified 05 z4 once....it was the worst car ive ever owned. shorty after warranty ran out....nothing but issues....electrical....braking....electrical....little irritating things...electrical...so on. had it for a year and a half and traded it for my first toyota, an 05 tacoma x-runner that i still daily with over 230k miles. any issues? 2 things, alternator at 220k and starter about a month or 2 ago. a lot of guys on sf had owned bmw's and have said similar things.

cost too much - i've addressed this a little earlier, but want to add some points. i've mentioned them using an in-house engine to save money and development costs, but another way was to use a few of the lexus chassis available, just as nissan is doing with the z and 370. but the major problem is, we are talking about a companies halo car here...its best. they are not meant to be "affordable" just like other top tier cars like the nsx, gtr, ford gt, zr1...these are what the supra should me competing against, not mustangs, camaros or even the z. let the gr86 and upcoming mr-2 be the budget sports cars and the supra the high-end vehicle...like it used to be.

look, im not bashing on anyone who bought one and if you are happy with it...great...to each his own. not disrespecting the car by calling it a zupr4 either, its just the way we differentiate this "mkv" from the first 4 generations. i'm just tired of the accusations that we mkiv supra owners are "whiners, moaners and haters". not trying to start a debate either, orig supra owners wanted this to succeed just as much as any z owner or fan here wants it to happen for them in this new z...

Last edited: