Wireless charging solution?

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I have a charging station from these guys (Nomad Goods) and I love it, and while watching some other car videos that talked about built-in wireless charging, my brain got to thinking about what could be possible as an aftermarket solution.

They make what's basically a MagSafe block charger (here), so depending on dimensions of the center console...cubby? it might work. Would have to get creative about the wiring/power (cigarette lighter?) but can't imagine it would be too tough.

Another solution might be figuring out a way to make a MagSafe charger (here) stay put without ruining interior.

Thoughts?

1662410378300.png

1662410303920.png

1662410346577.png

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
Just need to get the slimmest one we can find and put it under the rubber mat/insert.
Wire out the back and splice into the charging socket on the passenger side.

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bus
Great idea and I think it should be pretty easy to do, and plenty of power sources near there. For us Australians as we don't get Nav, TBH I always use Waze anyway, I will have to plug the phone in anyway. One good thing about not having controls in the head unit, is that at some point a replacement head unit would be a pretty easy upgrade for wireless CarPlay and at that point a wireless charger makes sense. :)

emetb

First Name
Emet
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
L200
Occupation
it
I have a charging station from these guys (Nomad Goods) and I love it, and while watching some other car videos that talked about built-in wireless charging, my brain got to thinking about what could be possible as an aftermarket solution.

They make what's basically a MagSafe block charger (here), so depending on dimensions of the center console...cubby? it might work. Would have to get creative about the wiring/power (cigarette lighter?) but can't imagine it would be too tough.

Another solution might be figuring out a way to make a MagSafe charger (here) stay put without ruining interior.

Thoughts?

1662410378300.png

1662410303920.png

1662410346577.png
good idea! Have to try it!

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
What’s your take on using a screen protector?
My personal opinion is it isn't necessary in a car. You aren't touching the screen nearly as often as you are with a phone or tablet. My wife's Rogue has the touchscreen entertainment unit, but I do the majority of my adjustments using the steering wheel controls.

MycarisZ

First Name
Mohammed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda Miata
Occupation
Project Manager
My personal opinion is it isn't necessary in a car. You aren't touching the screen nearly as often as you are with a phone or tablet. My wife's Rogue has the touchscreen entertainment unit, but I do the majority of my adjustments using the steering wheel controls.
Makes sense, only thought would be it might fair a bit better when it comes to smudges and fingerprints?!?