Z32 overheating

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
On a drive today, I noticed my a/c started intermittently cutting out. After arriving home, I did some research and found that happens when the engine starts to overheat the ECU goes into a mode to mitigate overheating.

After the car cooled down, I drove it to a nearby service store. The needle was just under the H at the top of the gauge about a block before I got there.

I found out after adding coolant that there is a broken hose as coolant just ended up on the pavement. The service store doesn't do anything other than fluids and filters, so I drove another mile, rested the car until it cooled, and then drove another mile to a radiator shop.

So, since the needle didn't go past the line to the H, and the engine still started with no noises when parked and then cooled, am I okay?

Thanks for your response.

Last edited:

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
On a drive today, I noticed my a/c started intermittently cutting out. After arriving home, I did some research and found that happens when the engine starts to overheat the ECU goes into a mode to mitigate overheating.

After the car cooled down, I drove it to a nearby service store. The gauge was just under the H at the top of the gauge about a block before I got there.

I found out after adding coolant that there is a broken hose as coolant just ended up on the pavement. The service store doesn't do anything other than fluids and filters, so I drove another mile, rested the car until it cooled, and then drove another mile to a radiator shop.

So, since the needle didn't go past the line to the H, and the engine still started with no noises when parked and then cooled, am I okay?

Thanks for your response.
No alarms on the dash? You're probably okay.

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I would check your oil and coolant. If no water in the oil or oil in the coolant, you're probably ok.

OP
OP
Donalex

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I would check your oil and coolant. If no water in the oil or oil in the coolant, you're probably ok.
Well, there's no coolant as I've been told the radiator bit the dust. I'm concerned now that the engine ran with no coolant.

I'll check the oil for the symptom of a head gasket issue.