Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I wanna get back out to Willow Springs. My track experiences have been on motorcycles, but I definitely want to do a track day in a Z, or whatever car I end up getting. Part of me is a little apprehensive about taking a new $45k car onto the track, but I guess as long as I'm not pushing past my skill level, it's no riskier than driving around on public roads.

On my SV650 at Streets of Willow for my 1st track day ever, back in 2009:

1140_b2.jpg

I'd really like to get out to Chuckwalla sometime. Looks like a fun track. I've only driven it in Assetto Corsa so far, lol

_nc_ohc=mPiaxC-liMAAX9x9-B7&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.jpg

ChuckwallaValleyRacewayMap.gif

Driving or riding at Laguna Seca would be the DREAM. Track days there are like $500, but I gotta do it some day.

4b96e5f7296a6edfcad6e5e6f9084436.jpg
Oh man, I LOVE SV's. Nearly ended up with one but the sale fell through, and ended up with a 2001 CBR 600 F4i. Guy was being deployed, it was a project bike for him (needed body work but ran flawlessly) so I picked it up and with roommates help, we brought it back to life. New fairings/headlight housing, threw in HIDs, swapped out the cam crank tensioner, new chain/sprockets, already had a Yoshi exhaust and the thing ripped. God, I miss that bike. Put so, so, so many miles on it.

Unfortunately never got to track it, but did tons of exploring back roads, group rides (one of the guys I rode with had an SV), etc. Best way to see the world is on two wheels.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I wanna get back out to Willow Springs. My track experiences have been on motorcycles, but I definitely want to do a track day in a Z, or whatever car I end up getting. Part of me is a little apprehensive about taking a new $45k car onto the track, but I guess as long as I'm not pushing past my skill level, it's no riskier than driving around on public roads.

Driving or riding at Laguna Seca would be the DREAM. Track days there are like $500, but I gotta do it some day.

ChuckwallaValleyRacewayMap.gif
@trackratZ How do you like Auto Club Speedway? I like that it's a pro facility and environment; meaning, all that architecture really gives that pro race track feeling and experience, unlike tracks like Chuckwalla where you're just surrounded by dirt in every direction. However, while I haven't been to ACS in person, what I don't like is how flat the infield road course there looks. I'm a big fan of elevation changes and don't really care for 'parking lot' tracks.
Laguna Seca is definitely the gold standard out here on the west coast! But Buttonwillow is an awesome technical track in So Cal, lots of Time Attacks done there. My fav.

About ACS, NASCAR owns the track now, so the fast Roval config won’t be here for long, you’d better try it soon. The banking is butt puckering at the limit. It will become a short track, sold off part of the property?

Big Willow Springs would be better for the new Z IMO versus the tighter Streets of Willow.

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
Oh man, I LOVE SV's. Nearly ended up with one but the sale fell through, and ended up with a 2001 CBR 600 F4i. Guy was being deployed, it was a project bike for him (needed body work but ran flawlessly) so I picked it up and with roommates help, we brought it back to life. New fairings/headlight housing, threw in HIDs, swapped out the cam crank tensioner, new chain/sprockets, already had a Yoshi exhaust and the thing ripped. God, I miss that bike. Put so, so, so many miles on it.

Unfortunately never got to track it, but did tons of exploring back roads, group rides (one of the guys I rode with had an SV), etc. Best way to see the world is on two wheels.
Oooh, the F4i is a great bike. I had always wanted a red one in the early 2000s back when I was on a Honda Shadow and thinking of getting into sportbike world.

Yesss. The SV is so great. Unfortunately mine stopped running over 2 years ago and I've put off working on it :/ It may have just been a simple fix, like new petcock, but it's sat for long, who knows what else may have gone wrong. I'm looking to rent a garage space so I can finally resurrect this thing!!!

Here's a pic of how it's currently set up. Woodcraft rearsets and suburban machinery bars to give it more sporty ergos:

IMG_20140328_185100c.jpg

Rode it up Highway 1 from LA to SF in '09
DSC00659_800.jpg

DSC00672 - Copy_800.jpg
DSC00678_800.jpg
DSC00690 - Copy_800.jpg

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Oooh, the F4i is a great bike. I had always wanted a red one in the early 2000s back when I was on a Honda Shadow and thinking of getting into sportbike world.

Yesss. The SV is so great. Unfortunately mine stopped running over 2 years ago and I've put off working on it :/ It may have just been a simple fix, like new petcock, but it's sat for long, who knows what else may have gone wrong. I'm looking to rent a garage space so I can finally resurrect this thing!!!

Here's a pic of how it's currently set up. Woodcraft rearsets and suburban machinery bars to give it more sporty ergos:

IMG_20140328_185100c.jpg

Rode it up Highway 1 from LA to SF in '09
DSC00659_800.jpg

DSC00672 - Copy_800.jpg
DSC00678_800.jpg
DSC00690 - Copy_800.jpg
She’s a looker! Love that color. Yeah, mine was black/silver—she’s been out of my life for more years than I would like to admit but I think I have photos somewhere. Will try to dig up next time I have a minute.

Fingers crossed you can find a garage soon! Would love to see it in action again. I would love to find something with a salvage title and turn it into a track fiend, but Z comes first. Would also be infinitely harder to convince the misses versus the Z, lol.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I've driven the Nords so much I occasionally find I have driven a big chunk of the course without even being aware of it as I was lost in thought the whole time lol.
Dude, same. It's been awhile since I've played Forza/GT, but I bet it'd come back to me real, real quick. Similar muscle memory with Road Atlanta as well. I love that track. One day...

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
I have never had a car to track before, but I'm looking forward to doing it in the new Z. Not for competition, just for fun. Its only 20 miles from my house to Road Atlanta raceway, so I should have plenty of opportunities.
I've also never been on a track, but hearing about it in these forums, I looked into taking my son to a local track. From what I could tell, it would cost for the both of us around $800! :eek: What are people paying for an outing at a track these days?

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
HPDEs aren't cheap, unfortunately. It's bad enough that tires and brakes are so damn expensive.

If you can find a local autocross event it's significantly cheaper and still a ton of fun. On top of that, you'll learn skills that can directly translate to street driving since speeds are much lower versus a road course.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
I've also never been on a track, but hearing about it in these forums, I looked into taking my son to a local track. From what I could tell, it would cost for the both of us around $800! :eek: What are people paying for an outing at a track these days?
Track days with 4x20 min sessions should be around $200-250 for the entire day, at least here in CA. That is a LOT of track time to learn on, several classes from novice point-bys to open passing, worth the $ for that day’s track time, really.

And true, you can learn a lot from autox, basic braking, turning, apexes, I used to compete regionally, but track time at much higher speeds is a notch up above that. Good luck either way, looks like the new Z is a good platform, enough power and chassis to keep up.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Huge +1 to autocross and what @bboypuertoroc said. In a perfect world, a day at autocross would be a part of getting your license. You learn SO MUCH, not only about your car but also about yourself. And it's an absolute blast.
Ask me how I know...

FB_IMG_1483209467967.jpg

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Track days with 4x20 min sessions should be around $200-250 for the entire day, at least here in CA. That is a LOT of track time to learn on, several classes from novice point-bys to open passing, worth the $ for that day’s track time, really.
This is definitely a big plus from HPDE. Lots of great instruction.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
I'm planning for https://www.znationals.com/ in Oct usually a great event! I'm sure they'll showcase the new Z again. Anybody else interested? And not bad $295 for the track day. What's going to cost me is transportation from CA to bring the RB Z, ouch!