What's in the news today... (NO COVID / POLITICS)

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
The latest of countless shit shows.

My husband showed me this one, I couldnā€™t believe it.
They are like a wild pack of animalsā€¦.and it seems police are too scared to do anything because if, god forbid , they hurt someone in the process, it them going to jail
I would say, what in the heck is going on in the USā€¦.but sadly itā€™s happening here in Australia too. Cops hands are tied when dealing with certain demographics. One false move they are up on charges and in jail.

The world these days, seem to protecting criminals more than victims and itā€™s only getting worse šŸ˜ž

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
My husband showed me this one, I couldnā€™t believe it.
They are like a wild pack of animalsā€¦.and it seems police are too scared to do anything because if, god forbid , they hurt someone in the process, it them going to jail
I would say, what in the heck is going on in the USā€¦.but sadly itā€™s happening here in Australia too. Cops hands are tied when dealing with certain demographics. One false move they are up on charges and in jail.

The world these days, seem to protecting criminals more than victims and itā€™s only getting worse šŸ˜ž
There is a mentality out there that the people perpetrating these crimes, are really good kind people, who have been treated poorly by society, and that the victims of the crimes, are in some way culpable. And the approach to dealing with the situation, is to throw more money and resources, into trying to make the lives of the criminals better, and then they will not commit these crimes.

Even if there is some merit to the above, the people and politicians pushing that narrative, unfortunately go off the deep end with it. And so we end up with this mob and supporters making excuses, calling them "protestors" and stuff like that. And failure to protect the public.

The prior mayor of Chicago Lori Lightfoot in my opinion was not good. At one point during COVID, when we had protests (aka riots) and stores getting broken into, she was wasting police resources, by stationing them all along the lakefront, to hassle and threaten law abiding citizens simply out for healthy recreation. Myself and family were threated with arrest, simply for swimming on a section of the lakefront away from everyone else. The police even threatened a girl sitting by herself reading a book.

That was when I decided enough. I used to enjoy the city, but for the most part we have stopped going there. I don't know how the city is doing with revenue loss these days, myself and most coworkers (IT) now work from home, so we no longer spend money everyday downtown. Maybe once the financial realities set in, and businesses start demanding changes, the leaders will be forced to change their approach. Base on past statements, and already some excuses, I don't have much faith in the new mayor.

Cards on the table - I'm a liberal. But Chicago has some problems due to progressives and being kind of a one company town. They don't seem to see the writing on the wall. And overall Illinois is one of the top states where people are leaving.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
There is a mentality out there that the people perpetrating these crimes, are really good kind people, who have been treated poorly by society, and that the victims of the crimes, are in some way culpable. And the approach to dealing with the situation, is to throw more money and resources, into trying to make the lives of the criminals better, and then they will not commit these crimes.

Even if there is some merit to the above, the people and politicians pushing that narrative, unfortunately go off the deep end with it. And so we end up with this mob and supporters making excuses, calling them "protestors" and stuff like that. And failure to protect the public.

The prior mayor of Chicago Lori Lightfoot in my opinion was not good. At one point during COVID, when we had protests (aka riots) and stores getting broken into, she was wasting police resources, by stationing them all along the lakefront, to hassle and threaten law abiding citizens simply out for healthy recreation. Myself and family were threated with arrest, simply for swimming on a section of the lakefront away from everyone else. The police even threatened a girl sitting by herself reading a book.

That was when I decided enough. I used to enjoy the city, but for the most part we have stopped going there. I don't know how the city is doing with revenue loss these days, myself and most coworkers (IT) now work from home, so we no longer spend money everyday downtown. Maybe once the financial realities set in, and businesses start demanding changes, the leaders will be forced to change their approach. Base on past statements, and already some excuses, I don't have much faith in the new mayor.

Cards on the table - I'm a liberal. But Chicago has some problems due to progressives and being kind of a one company town. They don't seem to see the writing on the wall. And overall Illinois is one of the top states where people are leaving.
Sadly I only see things getting worseā€¦no different here.
At least you guys still have the death penalty in some states and LONG life terms.
We rarely have anyone sent to jail for life, never the death penalty even if they have committed the most heinous crimes. Instead we lock them in a luxury cell, pay them, feed them, give them tv, x boxes, internet and release them way to early because the prisons are too full. Thatā€™s even if they go to jail, with most getting good behaviour bonds
But authorities still dont realise itā€™s because we release them too early or let them off that the prisons are too full, because everyone knows you do the crime you donā€™t do the appropriate time so there is less reason to be a law abiding citizen
In my state of Western Australia we had a group of kids sent to adult prison, because while they were in childrenā€™s prison they destroyed everything multiple times and threatened the lives of other kids in there. All the bleeding hearts came out and said, we canā€™t send kids to adult prison thatā€™s so wrong. But the next week in adults prison these same kids have somehow managed to start a riot and destroy a block!ā€¦kids have no respect for teachers, for police, for anyone these days because there is no discipline, they only care about what they want and their own views ā€¦.and it keeps getting worse, yet the do gooders are still trying to make things even easier for the whilst victims and their families are left to suffer

I look at my two boys everyday, Iā€™m so proud of the young men they have become. And I think Iā€™m luckyā€¦.but part of that ā€œluckā€ was actually work, and discipline in the home, along with teaching them the importance of a good education, whilst not believing every social lesson at school, My eldest is now 21 3rd year uni, but already has a job at an engineering firm, donates his time to coaching junior Futsal, referees for more cash on the weekends so he can afford holidays and will soon have a deposit for a house, owns his own car and doesnā€™t ask us for a cent. His younger brother is heading down the same pathā€¦I am proud, but also see that mine and husbands work ethics and imparting that has paid off

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
At least you guys still have the death penalty in some states...
I don't know how it works in Australia, but in the USA, the death penalty actually costs taxpayers MORE than life incarceration.

In theory, I don't have a moral objection to capital punishment itself. I certainly believe there are violent criminals who are beyond redemption, have no place in society, and are deserving of extinction... but the mere fact that with our imperfect justice system, innocent people may - and have - been put to death is reason enough for me to be against it.

Also, there's no credible evidence that suggests the death penalty is a deterrent for crime.. at least, not here in the USA.

California: The additional cost of confining an inmate to death row, as compared to the maximum security prisons where those sentenced to life without possibility of parole ordinarily serve their sentences, is $90,000 per year per inmate.

Each death penalty case in Texas costs taxpayers about $2.3 million. That is about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NEL...86&fileDownloadName=h041211ab501_pescetta.pdf

1682153860128.png

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-...he-death-penalty-amid-era-of-growing-decline/

Last edited:

V35

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G35
All of this over rising the retirement age by 2 yrs