What was your honest opinion of the Z Proto at first vs now?

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Since we've had months for the new design of the new Z to sit in our minds, I'm curious what everyone's opinion is of it now. I won't lie, personally when they first revealed it, I hated most of it. I thought the rear looked weird, I HATED the front, and I didn't like the yellow color. The only thing I was okay with was the side profile of the car, but still wasn't a fan of it at the time.

Now? Seeing so many photographs and videos of it up close, outside, on the road, better angles, better lighting; I just about love the car. I like the rear and can appreciate the retro inspired design of it, I like how the roofline sloops back similar to the older 240z (the new Z almost looks like a new Porsche 911 from the back), I think the side profile is just about perfect, and the front has greatly grown on me. My biggest dislike was the grille, but after seeing it so many times now I don't even mind it. In fact I think in other color configurations it'll look even better, such as black. I think it'll look menacing in black.

I'm still saving my final judgement until I actually see the car in person, but just about every person that has seen the car in person has given it high praise. What do you guys think about the new Z now?

Zprotophoto1.jpg

Zprotophoto2.jpg

Zprotophoto3.jpg

Zprotophoto5.jpg

Zprotophoto6.jpg

Zprotophoto7.jpg

z_ya_later

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Seiran Blue Nissan Z Sport
Feel the same way. Disliked the initial reveal including the grille and katana accent. I also felt the taillights were a little too small and the diffuser a little too big.

Away from the washed-out lighting from the reveal, it's clear the car has great body lines and overall a sleek shape that is more refined than the 370. Still not in love with the front, head-on view but I think it looks great from just about every other angle. Still dislike the chrome katana accent. I'm ok with everything else. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Nismo and the eventual mid-cycle refresh.

240SX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14
Then: Didnt love it but also didnt hate it. I thought it was a bit bland but not offensive at the same time. In other words meh...

Now: Having seen a few of the new Supras on the road Im now thinking sometime less is more. The overall design has really grown on me.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Audi TT RS
I've liked it since the introduction. I'm really holding final judgement until I can see it in person.

As I have mentioned in other threads, there are some aspects of the design I wish would be tweaked:
  • extend hood three to four inches and eliminate a row or two of the upper grille;
  • faux front bumper or some trim to split the grille; and
  • tail lights should fill the tail panel vertically, don't care for the empty lower part of that panel.
Really curious to see what the Nismo package will look like, especially the front bumper and grille.

Other than that short list, I really love the car. I hope the wheel design and all the carbon fiber trim makes it to production. A variety of caliper colors too!

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Overall I liked it from the start. The only thing I will nitpick is the grille. It still needs to grow on me. However, it could look better in person.

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
Loved it since the unveiling. In fact each time I look at it...I like it more. The back lights look awesome. I can't wait to see the final product and colors other than yellow lol.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I was torn on the front (specifically size of the grill spacing the headlights) but seeing Larry Chens photos and the rolling videos since the reveal, I'm in love with it. Just excited to see it in person after production reveal in 31 days.

zwannabe

First Name
z-being
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
96 supra mk4, 2023 nissan z
it's a love at first sight for me, the design has the timeless look like only very few cars do but in a very distinct way that only a z have, it's not red hot like exotics but its beauty does not fade with time like those either. I like the katana which ties the whole slick look together and complete the optic. The more i look at it however the z feels a little too short, another 5" added to the rear would be fantastic. Between the red hot look of the c8 and the understated beauty of the z proto, i chose the fairlady, a mature, attractive and classy woman rather than the hot sexy and bitchy broad.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Like most here, first reveal was sure eye-catching (that grille!), but I totally see the heritage design - S30, Z32 - all over it. Design grows as we see the car being driven. No need to change anything. Again, the smooth timeless design lets the aftermarket work with any add-ons they like.

I'd only add a BRE-style tall functional rear spoiler to start with if that's available, black is fine to complement the black roof. That would also complete the rear profile, makes it look 'taller' not droopy. No need for wings, will aesthetically disrupt the overall design.

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
it's a love at first sight for me, the design has the timeless look like only very few cars do but in a very distinct way that only a z have, it's not red hot like exotics but its beauty does not fade with time like those either. I like the katana which ties the whole slick look together and complete the optic. The more i look at it however the z feels a little too short, another 5" added to the rear would be fantastic. Between the red hot look of the c8 and the understated beauty of the z proto, i chose the fairlady, a mature, attractive and classy woman rather than the hot sexy and bitchy broad.
Yup! The katana and the retro look is what sold it for me.