Wax or other paint coating recommendations?

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Professional ceramic coating is popular these days, but what about a quality owner applied wax/coating, any recommendations?

I tried a hi-tech pseudo-ceramic coating spray, and it went on like someone rubbing greasy fingers all over the paint. Looked horrible anytime the light reflected. It was hell buffing it out, and I ended up resorting to a damp towel to knock it down.

Hoping to find something easier to apply, else I'm thinking of going back to old school paste wax.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
A few weeks ago I waxed 2 of our cars with Griot's Ceramic All-In-One Wax. Applied with a foam pad and wiped off immediately with a 500-600 gsm edgeless towel. Washed both cars in their Foaming Surface Prep first and went over the older car with BOSS Correcting Cream prior to applying the wax.

Both cars turned out looking as good as I could expect. One is brand new and the other's paint is around 15 year old. The Ceramic AIO wax is really easy to apply and wipe off. Shine is amazing and the paint feels liquid smooth to the touch. It's rained a bunch since and the wax does a great job of beading/repelling water. Both cars were noticeable easier to wash since application.

It was dark by the time I finished and they were driven the next day so I didn't get any really good pics of them all cleaned up, but here's one under crappy garage lighting:

20221010_005541.jpg

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
BEST prosumer Ceramic Coating that I have used and highly recommend is Gtechniq CSL + EVO. This is by far the best ceramic coating (assuming you are going to take care of the coating during each wash by using a spray sealant "topper").

If not, then you can do Gyeon Cancoat (~3-6month coating) and follow up with spray sealant post wash to extend life to 6months.

And if you dont want to do even do that, then use Phoenix Glossome Wax, Collinite or Jescar Powerlock & Color lock plus.

Use any of these AFTER IronX & Claybar paint at the bare minimum.

Best case is Gtechniq (do some polishing beforehand), Gyeon Cancoat (Claybar & IronX), Glossome/Collinite/Jescar (IronX) after wash.

52468241261_f3d48e820d_b.jpg

This is after Jescar Powerlock/Colorlock and then topped with a Spray Sealant blend for the shine.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
@indio22 I highly recommend Suma ceramic spray. I was in the same boat as you with the Carpro Reload ceramic spray.

The Suma spray doesn’t leave a greasy residue and lasts several wash cycles. Check them out, plus an extra 10% off for new customers.

https://www.sumadetail.com/

@takemorepills this one is based out of Seattle, quick next day shipping.

-RJM

6A02B62A-E353-4505-8DA8-8FD10B7956B5.jpeg