Tranmissions?

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
I'm assuming (and hope!) they'll keep the 6 speed manual option for the Z35, but you guys think'll finally offer up a dual clutch transmission? Or are we gonna see the same 7 speed auto?

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15BRZ
I'm assuming (and hope!) they'll keep the 6 speed manual option for the Z35
I wont buy it without a true manual but all reports/guesses are that it'll be based off the Q60 which doesn't have a manual transmission option. I hope they surprise us but I doubt it.

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
They definitely need to have a true manual or it would just kill it IMO. I'm not sure what type of double clutch set up they would have, if it would be similar to the GTR or how reliable would it be that's my problem. And usually you don't find out those problems until the car has been out for a couple years and people been have been driving them hard. I wouldn't compare it or speculate based off the Q. Maybe the platform of the motor for sure. But not If it comes with a manual transmission or not or the adaptive steering it has.

These are the questions we all want to see and this will determine if I buy the car the first year it comes out or at all.

Angelo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z34 l E39 l F30
As long as the next Z has a true clutch(es), as in no torque converter, I wouldn't mind an automatic shift mode (a la GTR). Sure, I'll miss going through the gears with the traditional clutch pedal and shifter, but paddle shifters are fine for me.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT - 2015 GT-R BE
From the most recent reports they have said there will be a 7 speed dct tranny. Although there's not mention of a manual being a Z car I would assume there will be the option for one.

Also I don't think the dct will be on par with the gtr only to have some brand seperation but hopefully it's not Mercedes sourced. Currently have a 2015 c250 on in the inventory and that dct in manual mode is useless. Barely allows real manual control at all. The current 7 speed in the Z I actually love. No help besides auto downshift to not stall out. I like the fact that it will not uoshift for you.

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
I just have to have a manual. Rev match and all. If that doesn't happen I just hope it's solid to a point. I love modding but don't want to get to much into the tranny because it can't handle let's say track abuse. I'm sure it wouldn't be nothing like a GTR transmission but for anyone that's knows the GTR transmission doesn't seem to be the greatest either and those baby's are not cheap to replace more or less upgrade. I know that car is a total different beast and it does see abusive from most owners. Just don't like how complex that tranny is. And the auto in 370 doesn't impress me much IMO.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
I have about 60k miles on my 7at 370 and I am so happy I went that way over the manual. Love driving a manual but the 7at swayed me to choose that and love it even more. Have tried many others and they typically suck. However the Z auto is great compared to others.

If they improve on it with the new Z that will be amazing. Also I highly doubt they will do away with the manual.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3
From the most recent reports they have said there will be a 7 speed dct tranny. Although there's not mention of a manual being a Z car I would assume there will be the option for one.

Also I don't think the dct will be on par with the gtr only to have some brand seperation but hopefully it's not Mercedes sourced. Currently have a 2015 c250 on in the inventory and that dct in manual mode is useless. Barely allows real manual control at all. The current 7 speed in the Z I actually love. No help besides auto downshift to not stall out. I like the fact that it will not uoshift for you.
Mercedes C250? I think that's got a traditional automatic.

Does the current 7 speed in the 370 allow you to redline or does it shift up for you if you redline?

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman

Does the current 7 speed in the 370 allow you to redline or does it shift up for you if you redline?
It does allow you to go to redline like a manual. But it doesn't shift for you. A light will flash and the ECU will start to cut out also like a manual. After a certain point the car doesn't make more power so no real reason to take it that far.

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)

It is a dct in the merc. Have the window sticker to prove it too lol

In the Z you can redline it and it will not upshift for you. It will eventually cut fuel after a certain length of time so you don't blow your engine. But I like that safety feature lol

FPenvy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
It does allow you to go to redline like a manual. But it doesn't shift for you. A light will flash and the ECU will start to cut out also like a manual. After a certain point the car doesn't make more power so no real reason to take it that far.
7100-7300 is about the top of the power band.

I have my redline raise to 7900 though just so when I'm up over 7k the safety cut out can't come in too early

SPOHN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350,G35,G37,370
Occupation
Lineman
7100-7300 is about the top of the power band.

I have my redline raise to 7900 though just so when I'm up over 7k the safety cut out can't come in too early
That's how I did my manual. But I've only read about the auto.

37tZee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes AMG, Audi S3
It is a dct in the merc. Have the window sticker to prove it too lol

In the Z you can redline it and it will not upshift for you. It will eventually cut fuel after a certain length of time so you don't blow your engine. But I like that safety feature lol
Definitely a DCT; I have the same transmission in my GLA250. I actually find it a bit clunky and not as smooth as the 7-AT I had in my Z.

I'm anxious to see the Z35, and hope it's available with a manual transmission as that's what I missed in my Z. I've driven a GT-R and found that transmission to be fine.

OP
OP
Seong

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600

That's a fail. They managed to make a dual clutch bad?!

I'm hoping for a good dual clutch box just for ultimate control. Extra nice if they gave it double-pull feature to drop to neutral. Good for some exhaust revving on the go :)