The Electric thread - BEV, PHEV, etc.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
The Bill passed earlier this year provides for 500,000 charging stations across the country. It will also provide for upgrades to transmission lines and power stations. Hopefully, these things will meet in 2024, but I'm not hopeful.

The most recent bill provides funds for electrical panel upgrade, but only for those incomes NMT 150% of the zip code's median income.
There was a expert in renewable minerals on tv the other day ( if I could find it again I’d post it, but can’t so I shan’t)
He reckons in Australia there will never be enough minerals to support clean energy and that even if we accesss and mine everything at our finger tips it will only last for one generation….things like nickel, copper and lithium
This is quite concerning given Australia actually punches well above it’s weight for rescources per capita

Yes solar and electric are renewable….but all the things that go into making the systems to use such energy are not, and are limited

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Yep, still true, we'll see how fast Superchargers will be 'allowed' to be accessed by non-Teslas via a CCS adapter. Charging cost structures plus push-backs by Tesla owners about clogged up charge stations. Just last night locally at a shopping/dining center the row of 15+ Superchargers are filled with some Teslas waiting.

"...after billions of dollars of investment, the non-Tesla DC fast-charging network is a mishmash of crud. If you want to take an EV road trip, it's easy in a Tesla and dicey in anything else. But this, again, is not some sort of magic that's permanently unknowable to every other company. Eventually, the other guys will have their Superchargers."

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a40934669/ezra-dyer-teslas-new-reality/

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
Sadly but still true and won't get any better. Just earlier this week, we in So CA got sporadic alerts to drastically reduce electricity usage and "stop charging electric cars"! :oops:

And https://www.theguardian.com/comment...come-it-forgot-to-include-the-service-centres

"In the Ice age, if the car you’ve bought has defects or problems, then you take it up with the dealer. But for Tesla owners there’s no dealer – just Musk’s corporate empire. And it turns out that, for some frustrated drivers, that empire might as well be on Mars. In the US, the Federal Trade Commission has had more than a thousand complaints about poor service. A trawl of Trustpilot or Reddit reveals the frustrations of Tesla owners who love their cars but are disappointed with service failures.

If you’re being charitable you could explain this as growing pains. After all, this is a company that has been expanding like crazy – from producing 35,000 cars in 2014 to 930,422 in 2021. But the number of its service centres hasn’t increased in proportion to that growth. In the first quarter of this year, for example, Tesla’s US production increased by 68% over the same quarter last year, but the number of service centres went up by only 20%. The company has just 30 in the UK and 160 in the US, a country where an Ice company may have up to 10,000 dealerships countrywide.

A less charitable explanation is that Tesla, like all tech companies, subscribes to the pernicious delusion that employing humans to do customer service is a stupid analogue idea when most of these functions can supposedly be handled by AI or at least by a call-centre. In that sense, the difficulties that Tesla owners experience when trying to get help or repairs sound rather like those suffered by Facebook users trying to get access to a deceased relative’s account or, as I recounted last week, a Google user trying to get his account restored after an erroneous cancellation. Tesla is a tech company that happens to make cars."

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
Lotus copy, but $42K, sure why not! :p

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
It's going in that direction. If I do bag the new Z, most likely be the last new ICE vehicle. My charge-at-home Model Y has been awesome, even on some long trips up and down the West coast. Superchargers aplenty. I know it's still a different story across the Midwest, but will plan a trip soon to FL.

Does It Make Sense To Buy A New Gasoline-Powered Car In 2023? Autopian Asks - The Autopian

"If you can’t charge at home or at work, an electric vehicle typically isn’t a practical proposition.

On the other hand, the list of pro-EV arguments is also long. If you’re able to charge at home, topping off overnight is so convenient compared to freezing your nipples off at a gas station. The lack of required warm-up is awesome, the minimal maintenance is incredible, and current incentives make something like a Tesla Model 3 a financially shrewd move. In addition, electric cars can do more than reduce pollutants — they can give you back the one thing that’s finite: Time. In certain jurisdictions, you can drive an electric vehicle in HOV lanes without any passengers. If that gets you home from work twelve minutes sooner, that’s 24 minutes per day round trip, or 120 minutes per week to see your family, savor your morning coffee, or enjoy the little things in life."

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
It's going in that direction. If I do bag the new Z, most likely be the last new ICE vehicle. My charge-at-home Model Y has been awesome, even on some long trips up and down the West coast. Superchargers aplenty. I know it's still a different story across the Midwest, but will plan a trip soon to FL.

Does It Make Sense To Buy A New Gasoline-Powered Car In 2023? Autopian Asks - The Autopian

"If you can’t charge at home or at work, an electric vehicle typically isn’t a practical proposition.

On the other hand, the list of pro-EV arguments is also long. If you’re able to charge at home, topping off overnight is so convenient compared to freezing your nipples off at a gas station. The lack of required warm-up is awesome, the minimal maintenance is incredible, and current incentives make something like a Tesla Model 3 a financially shrewd move. In addition, electric cars can do more than reduce pollutants — they can give you back the one thing that’s finite: Time. In certain jurisdictions, you can drive an electric vehicle in HOV lanes without any passengers. If that gets you home from work twelve minutes sooner, that’s 24 minutes per day round trip, or 120 minutes per week to see your family, savor your morning coffee, or enjoy the little things in life."
I'm with you! I've been racking my head over the past couple weeks If I wanna go back to ICE...and I do, cuz the Tesla just doesn't scratch that itch for modding, personalization, and driving engagement...but then I look at my 3x-week commute to work and the fact, like you say, I can just jump in the car, rip it to the local grocery store and get back without having to wait for the car to warm up etc...its just incredible. I had the EV vs ICE debate with my coworker a couple months ago, and since he has no access to at home charging (Apt life) he was getting shafted at charging stations for time (& $ due to the slow charge speed on his EV), but now we've found a "free" charging station, right by my house actually, and we both charge there and grocery shop.

I will say this though, I have my hat in the Corvette ERay reservations since it seems like the MY competitor Blazer EV SS is supposedly delayed again to Mid Summer-EOY 2024. Might have to jump on ERay or Preowned Ioniq 5.