First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
As a street car I'd actually prefer the Z to be shipping without ultra-high performance rubber - such tires would make it trickier and likely more dangerous to have any tail-out fun off-track. Tires with very high traction limits suddenly letting go on the street = Cars 'n Coffee disaster.
pilots and very good street tires let go progressively. What you are suggesting, putting crappier tires on, is even more dangerous and risky.

Last edited:

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
As a street car I'd actually prefer the Z to be shipping without ultra-high performance rubber - such tires would make it trickier and likely more dangerous to have any tail-out fun off-track. Tires with very high traction limits suddenly letting go on the street = Cars 'n Coffee disaster.

Not sure why you would want less grippier tires.. especially on a 400hp car? Those Car and Coffee incidents are due to driver error not tire choice.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Not sure why you would want less grippier tires.. especially on a 400hp car? Those Car and Coffee incidents are due to driver error not tire choice.
Simple, so you can have some tailout fun at lower, less dangerous thresholds. Make a mistake on a 40 mph oversteer into a corner when attempting a slide is going to be a lot less costly and very likely less dangerous than doing so at 55 mph. Many owners of the twins prefer the less grippy Primacies to the now-standard PS4s that come on the top trim for this reason - they allow for more safe, quasi-legal fun.

I'd agree though that if a driver is a complete goof and has no sense at all of the car's traction limits, they can get into more trouble more quickly with lower grip rubber in a higher-powered car like the Z.

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
Simple, so you can have some tailout fun at lower, less dangerous thresholds. Make a mistake on a 40 mph oversteer into a corner when attempting a slide is going to be a lot less costly and very likely less dangerous than doing so at 55 mph. Many owners of the twins prefer the less grippy Primacies to the now-standard PS4s that come on the top trim for this reason - they allow for more safe, quasi-legal fun.
Some owners prefer the crappy Prius tires cause the 86/BRZ are low HP cars.. a lot harder to break the rear end lose riding on PS4. With the Z you have more torque to break grippier tires loose. Plus more importantly the safety factor in everyday normal driving.. how often are you trying to get your car to go sideways?

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier

I'd agree though that if a driver is a complete goof and has no sense at all of the car's traction limits, they can get into more trouble more quickly with lower grip rubber in a higher-powered car like the Z.
Grip > slip for a street car.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Well there obviously has to be a reasonable balance between grip and power, putting Prius tires that may sort of work on a 200 hp car on to the new Z would be ridiculous. With the new twins it would be possible to use a UHP all season year round and still have reasonable traction given the car's power, I doubt that strategy would work well with the new Z unfortunately.