First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 GT-R, 1997 Nissan pickup
Occupation
Looooong retired
Asking for advice, but I'll decide on Saturday. In the mail today I got an offer from the same local dealer to buy back my first-delivered [29 August 2008] Nissan GT-R, one day only on Saturday 17 July 2021, for $60,950 regardless of condition (!), which is about $18,000 more than a recent online estimate I got.

I see three options:
1] Keep the GT-R and get the $10 Target gift card for showing up.
2] Sell the GT-R and buy a new GT-R, for only about another $62,000 including tax.
3] Sell the GT-R and buy a new 400Z.

#2 isn't really an option. $62k for a slight improvement over what I have? Meh!

I've owned four vehicles since January 1972 and in those 49+ years I've owned the 1972 Datsun 240Z I got then; a 1983 Nissan pickup I bought used in 1988. a 1997 4WD SE Nissan pickup bought new, which I still have, and the GT-R, and I've had almost 13 years of fun from the GT-R.

I'm 80 now, and I still enjoy the hell out of the GT-R every time I drive it, but is it maybe time to avoid increasing maintenance costs as it ages? Maybe I should go back to a stick shift as I have/had in the first three? Maybe be one of the first [well, OK, #49788 on the Z] to drive a new Datsun/Nissan model as I was in 1972 and 2008?

I have until sometime Saturday to decide, and the Z Club of Texas meets on Thursday night...

I'll post whatever happens, after Saturday.

Dan Prall
My 204Z was HLS30-49788
2009 GT-R.jpg

240SX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
S14
I would sell the GTR for the new Z. I read that upkeep on those cars cost an arm and a leg.

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Camry, Q60 RWD
Oh man you should def keep it lol.
There's not really much of an improvement over the newer models anyways.

What's some of the maint costs if you don't mind sharing?

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
with what all is going on in the world...car/truck prices have skyrocketed.
dealer are low and really wanting used cars. they will go back down though.

i recently took in my wifes 2019 trd sport tacoma to get another key fob. it has 35k miles.
the dealer offered to buy it back for the same amount we paid for it brand new. im like, "what you talkin bout willis?"
i thought it sounded crazy and called another stealership and they offered $2000 more....

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Dan, I'm sure you're still getting a kick each time driving your GT-R, but you've been doing it for 13 years now, wouldn't you rather drive something fresh and new, and this being the last ICE Nissan Z built and manual trans? I'd tell that dealer to take your GT-R for $65K and let them know you're very interested in the new Z, even the Nismo, when avail. They know you'll have the funds, and I'm sure they want to keep your business.

Good luck and let us know come this weekend.

OP
OP
HLS30-49788

HLS30-49788

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Looooong retired
Oh man you should def keep it lol.
There's not really much of an improvement over the newer models anyways.

What's some of the maint costs if you don't mind sharing?
Maint costs, mostly lube and tires. Fluid change every 18k miles about $13-1400 at JoTech in Garland TX, much higher at dealer. New tires ever 9-14k miles, about $1400-1800. Depends on how sticky you want them. First three sets in 27k miles with Bridgestones [2] and one Dunlop, the higher price. Michelins since then, 14k on the first set; still on the second set. Want to see performance of the first set of Michelins? An occasional squeal. YouTube. RevZafod. "Third set of 3 laps" video at COTA Jun 2013.

BTW. one drawback of "sticky" tires on the road is that they're quicker to pick up things that puncture.

Maint GT-R.jpg

OP
OP
HLS30-49788

HLS30-49788

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Looooong retired
Dan, I'm sure you're still getting a kick each time driving your GT-R, but you've been doing it for 13 years now, wouldn't you rather drive something fresh and new, and this being the last ICE Nissan Z built and manual trans? I'd tell that dealer to take your GT-R for $65K and let them know you're very interested in the new Z, even the Nismo, when avail. They know you'll have the funds, and I'm sure they want to keep your business.

Good luck and let us know come this weekend.
Thanks, and great minds think alike.

ZZ2022

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 R35 GTR
If you still love the GTR, you should keep it. However if you want to drive stick for a change, it would trade it in for the Z. Its a win/win in my books, either decision you make. I just think whenever you are enjoying a car still, just keep it. I have sold for a different car a few times because i wanted something new and regretted my decision most of the time. Good luck!

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I think in the long run the GT-R will be more rare and valuable to collectors.

OP
OP
HLS30-49788

HLS30-49788

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Looooong retired
I think in the long run the GT-R will be more rare and valuable to collectors.
Yeah, but in the long run, I might not profit from it. Hey, I'm 80! I still enjoy being a block ahead of other lanes before I hit the speed limit if I'm in the front of my lane, but mostly I drive the GT-R to the grocery store. I'm thinking something new might be fun, even if I lose 6 to7 tenths of a second to 60. My first Datsun/Nissan was a 72 240Z, orange, and I got it on 26 Jan 72.

I read somewhere that these days, stick shift is an anti-theft device.

I hear the 400Z will have orange available, but my GT-R is gun metallic. Decisions, decisions. IF I get one I'll go for the S and T packages, including Brembo brakes like the ones on my GT-R that say "Brembo", not Nissan.

But I'll decide on Saturday.

OP
OP
HLS30-49788

HLS30-49788

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Looooong retired
Report on Nissan offer:

Walked in with the letter, filled out a questionnaire, got a $10 Target gift card, and spoke to the sales manager. Long story short, he said they couldn't do any deal now because they didn't have any official info on the 400Z.

I have his card, and I said I'd expect to get a deal like the one in the letter later. I'll check back after the Reveal at ZCON in Colorado Springs on 17 August and afterward. If they won't honor the offer then, forget it. I'll keep my GT-R.

Stopped at a Target store on the way home, spent the $10 gift card, and 83 cents tax out of my own pocket. It paid for the mileage, at least.