Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
Any word on a heads up display unit like with the Supra?

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I was looking over at the Supra forum and a lot of them had wished they had gotten a full LCD screen instead of that odd mismatch
For the price of the Supra, almost ever other vehicle in the segment (other then Camaro, Challenger, M2) even cross shopping into "sporty" sedans for a new to market 2020 car (minus G70 refresh), has the digital dash. The Z4 has it too, so why doesn't the Supra? Toyota is just doing so to leave the price "low and affordable". Even the sub $30k GR86 has a digital dash now, but not fully. Its simple cost cutting and leaving feature out to push newer models in coming years.

Zupra88

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, 2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Nursing Home Administrator
Hoping for a nice heads up display to go with this nice digital dashboard instrument cluster.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
For the price of the Supra, almost ever other vehicle in the segment (other then Camaro, Challenger, M2) even cross shopping into "sporty" sedans for a new to market 2020 car (minus G70 refresh), has the digital dash. The Z4 has it too, so why doesn't the Supra? Toyota is just doing so to leave the price "low and affordable". Even the sub $30k GR86 has a digital dash now, but not fully. Its simple cost cutting and leaving feature out to push newer models in coming years.
Digital dash/cluster is FAR CHEAPER than traditional electromechanical gauge cluster. The cost of LCD panels is very low, and on the Z shared with other products, even some of the configurable screens are available in the Pathfinder. The cost of having someone design virtual graphics for a commodity like LCD panel is just so cheap now.

This is also why some manufacturers played with touchscreen interfaces, and even got a reality check from customers (like Honda) for stupid things like virtual volume control.

Tesla does it to avoid engineering and tooling costs, that's why most everything is in one cheap LCD panel, very few buttons in the car. Yup, some people think it's cool, the rest of us think it's a hassle to use an LCD to adjust your side mirrors.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Digital dash/cluster is FAR CHEAPER than traditional electromechanical gauge cluster. The cost of LCD panels is very low, and on the Z shared with other products, even some of the configurable screens are available in the Pathfinder. The cost of having someone design virtual graphics for a commodity like LCD panel is just so cheap now.

This is also why some manufacturers played with touchscreen interfaces, and even got a reality check from customers (like Honda) for stupid things like virtual volume control.

Tesla does it to avoid engineering and tooling costs, that's why most everything is in one cheap LCD panel, very few buttons in the car. Yup, some people think it's cool, the rest of us think it's a hassle to use an LCD to adjust your side mirrors.
Perhaps it was cheaper…who knows now with chip shortages

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Perhaps it was cheaper…who knows now with chip shortages
Problem for modern electromechanical clusters, they too require chips. Most decode CAN Bus data, they aren't analog anymore. Of course an LCD cluster will also require graphics chip and memory, but the electromechanical clusters share a bit with the LCD type, heck many even have medium sized LCD display in them.

The chip shortages effed everything up. My friend has been waiting for a replacement debit card, they are backordered.... because they also use chips.

OP
OP

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Problem for modern electromechanical clusters, they too require chips. Most decode CAN Bus data, they aren't analog anymore. Of course an LCD cluster will also require graphics chip and memory, but the electromechanical clusters share a bit with the LCD type, heck many even have medium sized LCD display in them.

The chip shortages effed everything up. My friend has been waiting for a replacement debit card, they are backordered.... because they also use chips.
That’s my point…any additional chip used will add money, I am aware they all use them, but a fully digital display such as the one on the new Z will use more.
Don’t get me wrong…i love them, but it will make them more expensive than years gone by..and trickier to fix if something goes wrong on it

Z_Coastal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Audi TT S Line Coupe
Looks like a nice display, I do Hope one can configure it to a classic two round dial mode like Audi lets you do on the virtual cockpit.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Looks like a nice display, I do Hope one can configure it to a classic two round dial mode like Audi lets you do on the virtual cockpit.
Et voila.. This is the same layout that Nissan uses on the new Rogue, Pathfinder, etc. This would be the "standard' view that's similar to the A serious Audis;
1630378945230.png

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Et voila.. This is the same layout that Nissan uses on the new Rogue, Pathfinder, etc. This would be the "standard' view that's similar to the A serious Audis;
1630378945230.png
Am I correct in thinking that central display is a nav map, not simply a compass? I don't have experience with a nav-equipped car, but that "8 miles" on the bottom left could be a trip odo or it could be telling you that you have eight miles of driving straight until the next nav event. If it's only a compass that is a big waste of screen real estate.

I'm not sure those oblique dials are going to be instantly readable. although it's possible you could train yourself to get better at that. At least the numbers are there as well.

Mardoc01

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan max plat.
Am I correct in thinking that central display is a nav map, not simply a compass? I don't have experience with a nav-equipped car, but that "8 miles" on the bottom left could be a trip odo or it could be telling you that you have eight miles of driving straight until the next nav event. If it's only a compass that is a big waste of screen real estate.

I'm not sure those oblique dials are going to be instantly readable. although it's possible you could train yourself to get better at that. At least the numbers are there as well.
Unfortunately I believe it is odometer

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
Am I correct in thinking that central display is a nav map, not simply a compass?
I've heard a Nissan rep confirm that the TomTom navigation on the Performance trim will display directions in the centre of instrument panel.

Last edited: