First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Infiniti g35x, 2015 Nissan Micra
Occupation
Liuna Local 183
I’m thinking of a base model and then sourcing aftermarket or OEM parts via wreckers after.
I want to start with supporting mods like a swirl pot fuelpump set up and upgraded fuel pump, tuning, boostcontroller and additional supporting Mods like increased oil displacement increase differential displacement. Maybe dry sump?
It has water to air IC yah? So increase capacity, separate from radiator, add exchange in trunk you can add ice too.
Then .... new turbos/injectors. Last car I buy.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
OP
OP

IMPUL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Liuna Local 183
Does anyone know how the current VR30TT motor responds to mods and thus what to expect in the Z? I'm assuming not near as big of a bump in hp or tq as the Supra with just a simple tune, but if its fairly close and also the fact it should be a little lighter should help.
Im just going to treat it like a skyline.
aiming for 600hp/525tq 480whp/420wtq

but we will see. Time to research.

30% - gain from tuning
682cc+ injectors will produce 600hp crank
Cams if trackcar
https://www.torquecars.com/nissan/vr30ddtt-tuning.php

Tuning plus intake + 100Hp
https://www.infinitiboost.com/showt...bolt-tuned-on-2017-Infiniti-Q50-VR30DTT-turbo

https://vftuner.com/blogs/news/orangevirus-tuning-vr30ddtt-reflash

stock turbo info
https://conceptzperformance.com/blog/a-closer-look-at-the-vr30ddtts-turbochargers/

Good debate here on internals
https://www.infinitiq50.org/threads/honest-q50-review.124765/page-2

what really matters .... Dyno results
https://www.infinitiq50.org/threads/official-dyno-results-thread.124379/

I’m staying in the #22-#35 range. I’ll never be top 5 that’s some serious dough.

ams performance ecutek
2017 Q60 Red Sport 400, we found it at a respectable 366 WHP and 350 lb-ft of torque on our Dynojet dynamometer.
https://www.amsperformance.com/cart/infiniti-q50-q60-red-alpha-tune-with-ecutek-bluetooth-module/

800whp
https://www.amsperformance.com/ams-sets-infiniti-vr30-horsepower-record-800-hp/

https://www.infinitiq50.org/threads/vr30-lifetime-aftertune.125305/

“ Kind of a broad reaching question, with LDP and a tune your in the range of 400-420WHP which honestly isn't pushing the engine all that hard, put 93 or mild Eth blend in the tank and you should be A-okay for long-term use out of the motor.
Only real issues with the engine thus far have been a belt-slipping issue on 2016-2017 models but that was an alignment problem from the factory itself.

So as long as your not pushing the motor to 460-480WHP and you get a tuner that is familiar with the motor and it's quirks it's largely trouble free even with a tune.”

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.red...cby9b/best_mods_to_make_stock_q50_30t_400whp/

Down pipes, intake and tuning - 400-450whp
Auxiliary **"**Our Q60 and Q50 Red Alpha VR30 Auxiliary Intercooler Pump Kit is a must do modification for all non-Red Sport vehicles. "-AMS

I had really overlooked this mod, to be on the safer side with warranty in mind, Ill go with part by AMS

Thanks for the advice

Z1 motor sports has a bunch of vr30ddtt stuff like down pipes and blow off valves

After some review;
Water/meth seems like a good option for additional fueling requirements, without needing a secondary fuel rail.

Aftermarket auxiliary water-to-air exchange tank seems smart to cool the air in addition to w/m injection.

Down pipes and tuning are key.

Cams and turbos if you need more.

17psi is safe tapering to 14psi at redline.

For parts- look at q60s red sport for engine and for body 370z / trans / diff.

I’m sure z1 will be listing items specifically for 400z soon.

Turbo:
Gt1446 fiat

Uprate: gt1752/gt2056/gt2252
All 3 of those can run 14-22psi all day 78%
Which one has reverse flow?
Which one is cost effective and best set up?

Already got an dual exhaust cut out, throttle type, pneumatic or electric 2” & 2.5” lined up
I think about $250cdn shipped if anyone’s interested.

‘Cause if it doesn’t smell like a 2 stroke, it’s not a Datsun. Which again, I’m surprised how fast this is being released. Dat soon?

Transmission cooler out front of the grill.. as braided lines through the grill. Ooooooo.
Rear diff cooler.
White tire pen white walls.

Last edited:

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
IDK, a lot of links and lots of information that looks a little overwhelming if you have not been into turbos for awhile. A big V8 seems much easier to understand and tweak. Of course the gains will be a lot less, but the 6.4 in the Challenger is already pretty stout with a lot of torque out of the box. So for a reliable DD that won't break the bank, would say a downpipe, some exhaust work and a tune for around 500hp and tq be that hard to do? I'm assuming that would also void the warranty or at least engine wise?

OP
OP

IMPUL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Liuna Local 183
IDK, a lot of links and lots of information that looks a little overwhelming if you have not been into turbos for awhile. A big V8 seems much easier to understand and tweak. Of course the gains will be a lot less, but the 6.4 in the Challenger is already pretty stout with a lot of torque out of the box. So for a reliable DD that won't break the bank, would say a downpipe, some exhaust work and a tune for around 500hp and tq be that hard to do? I'm assuming that would also void the warranty or at least engine wise?
Who cares about warranty. the engines are strong and a “wards best engine.” It’s not going to be a problem. If you are scared to break an engine. This car is probably not for you.
buy a Prius.
If turbo talk scares you. Stay away from this car. Go buy a challenger or a dodge hemi or something.
This is a high rev, twin turbo, 3.0L RWD manual. Those who want this car for these reasons exactly, will likely hop in, turn over, turn off TCS/ST. Feel the road again.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
Its not that I'm scared, just that things do happen. It could turn out to be a bad engine and if you did some mods to it they could deny coverage for those reasons. I don't know how picky Nissan is, but Dodge is very picky. The guys over there are saying its best to not do any tuning or anything to the motor until the warranty is up except for maybe an intake or porting as they will almost certainly not pay if anything happens. You can't even put a new PCM in and tune it as there is some kind of marker so they know it has been messed with. I'm pretty sure Ford and Toyota are not near as picky, but they are saying all the manufacturers are starting to get that way.

OP
OP

IMPUL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Liuna Local 183
Its not that I'm scared, just that things do happen. It could turn out to be a bad engine and if you did some mods to it they could deny coverage for those reasons. I don't know how picky Nissan is, but Dodge is very picky. The guys over there are saying its best to not do any tuning or anything to the motor until the warranty is up except for maybe an intake or porting as they will almost certainly not pay if anything happens. You can't even put a new PCM in and tune it as there is some kind of marker so they know it has been messed with.
Nissan dealerships vary with regards to mods. I need to find a mod friendly Nissan and have them install it, then they usually cover it, if it’s reasonable. And they will only deem “that part” non warranty.
Eg. I had in intake and exhaust and they refuse to warranty the “cylinder head” but the short block was replaced under warranty still.

my tune is a detuned 87aki, a 91shell and stock 94 Petro-Canada tune.

if tuned professionally and at or below “oem”Parameters they should be okay with it. You could always ask “Nissan” for the “uprated” ecu tune. And pay for the unlocked nismo tune? (@nissan make this “pay to play” possible and I swear I won’t aftermarket tune it. I will pay maximum $2,000 to have nismo tune on my base model - just in case you are watching)

also @ Nissan you see the selections ?
detune- 87aki - 276hp ( 280ps)
Regular - 91aki shell ( no ethanol ) (380ps)
Sports - 93/94 ( with ethanol ) (500ps)

make the tune selectable so I can save money on gas going to and from work. And fill up on the weekend and toggle to nismo sports mode 94 500hp

Last edited:

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
Yeah, I had a 2004 Sentra Spec V years ago that had a common engine issue that came up in my car. I had an intake, headers, full exhaust and an underdrive pulley on it and they gave me some grief, but ended up replacing the engine. Of course that was about 15 years when this happened.

OP
OP

IMPUL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Liuna Local 183
Yeah, I had a 2004 Sentra Spec V years ago that had a common engine issue that came up in my car. I had an intake, headers, full exhaust and an underdrive pulley on it and they gave me some grief, but ended up replacing the engine. Of course that was about 15 years when this happened.
Mine was on a 2015 Micra at 25,000km due to #2 cyl bearing tolerance. A common HR16DE issue

OP
OP

IMPUL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Liuna Local 183
Its not that I'm scared, just that things do happen. It could turn out to be a bad engine and if you did some mods to it they could deny coverage for those reasons. I don't know how picky Nissan is, but Dodge is very picky. The guys over there are saying its best to not do any tuning or anything to the motor until the warranty is up except for maybe an intake or porting as they will almost certainly not pay if anything happens. You can't even put a new PCM in and tune it as there is some kind of marker so they know it has been messed with. I'm pretty sure Ford and Toyota are not near as picky, but they are saying all the manufacturers are starting to get that way.
Mind you. I buy my cars outright. So I say this as the “real” owner of the car. I won’t mod a car “the bank” owns and I’m just “borrowing”

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
That makes more sense if you are going to mod, but the vast majority (me included) will have to take out a loan. I went through years of being stupid and trading in too soon at about the time I broke even and thus was more like leasing. But I was able to get 0% interest for 72 months on my current Mustang and have kept it for about 4.5 years now and have the biggest chunk of equity I've ever had which should be in the 12-15k range. One of the reasons I want to get a Challenger this month is the fact they are now offering 0% interest for 72 as well. I had been thinking about getting one for well over 2 years though. The main reason I didn't get one before now was the trade in value was not great in the past and I didn't have a garage. Now I am ready, but may wait because the Z looks very tempting and may be a good fit for me being single. Another pause I have is I just got this house and haven't even made my first payment so my credit may have taken a hit, but then again my last house wasn't being reported to the credit bureaus for the past 10 years d/t some problems I had with finances in the late 2000's. It does sound like the Z may be a tad cheaper than the Challenger trim I want right now and I will have my stang paid down more in a year or so and should get better gas mileage, but then again, I'll be putting more miles on my car and you never know when things will start wearing out and needing replaced since my powertrain warranty has expired.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Does anyone know how the current VR30TT motor responds to mods and thus what to expect in the Z? I'm assuming not near as big of a bump in hp or tq as the Supra with just a simple tune, but if its fairly close and also the fact it should be a little lighter should help.

Look up Z1 Motorsports on youtube and look at their VR30 Q60 videos. Both engines perform well with modifications. Traction is what's going to be what you'll need to watch out for on both vehicles. Im at 400AWHP/449AWTQ on my S4, and the rear still gets squirrely with PS4s.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
Now we're talking! Looks like pretty decent gains for a tune. Traction is the main issue with the Challenger as well. You almost have to put bigger wheels and tires on to get the most out of it unless you get the WB trim. I guess my main concern now is how good the trans is going to be and the fact there is almost no sound from the stock exhaust. Even aftermarket exhaust and straight pipes don't sound that good when you are used to a V8. I don't know if its just me, but the Supra seems to sound much better at least stock form. But then again we are not sure what the Z is going to sound like for sure yet. BTW, how does the torque delivery in these motors feel after a tune (I'm used to NA 5.0 most recently and turbo 4's before that) and what about ballpark cost for a tune and maybe some exhaust work?