First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
It's about living vicariously through others, that's what their content is for. Why go out and actually experience or do anything when you can just watch someone else do it, it's why a lot of these influencers and YouTubers are popular. They fill a void in people's lives.

It's more than just finding an interesting thing to watch. It's about feeling like you know these people like a friend or family or something. I've seen it with the likes of DDE, Alex Choi etc on YouTube. People in the comment section attaching themselves to them and riding for them, It's weird.
I think the most extreme example of this are the Twitch channels where people watch others play video games. I can almost understand watching people drive cars they could never afford, but video games are affordable to almost everyone. Just play them yourself!

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
I think the most extreme example of this are the Twitch channels where people watch others play video games. I can almost understand watching people drive cars they could never afford, but video games are affordable to almost everyone. Just play them yourself!
The worst kind and possibly the saddest kind of viewers are Simps. They donate their time and money watching to whomever on Youtube or Twitch.. usually the hot girl that often does absolutely nothing but look pretty.😄

Last edited:

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
While its true anyone can play them, my nephew helped me understand its often about watching the best in the world play the games. No different than watching the NBA or any professional sport. Anyone can go kick a soccer ball or shoot basketball but its entertainment to them. I do agree its a little taboo because of video games, but i can easily see how its entertaining to watch pros play at the highest level. Now donating to them is just strange and its often predatory tactics on a young audience. We'll save that for another conversation lol.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
... but video games are affordable to almost everyone. Just play them yourself!
I don't watch gamer videos, but although you can play the games yourself, like me you might not be good enough to get past level 1, so for some people watching the videos is the only way they'd ever get to see later levels, the ending, etc.