How hard will it be to get a Z?

OP
OP

Evenflow80

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z, Honda Civic SI
Hopefully not bad by the time I'm ready to buy. I'm planning to get one for myself for my 40th birthday, so I have a little over 2 years to go. Maybe the Nismo will be out by then too.
Im turning 40 in February, so if I am somehow able to get one in 2022 then it can still technically be my bday present

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I didn't even know such a thing existed for cars. I always wondered what the point was of these "car builder" tools on automaker websites. Like I'd build my perfect car and the end it gave me a Google search result for nearest dealers. Just generic results .

Has it been confirmed there are no pre orders ? I was on the Q&A thread with Nissan exec and he said he has no info regarding that and it will be announced soon?
The car builder tools on the manufacturer's site are used to find available inventory at stores which matches your configuration. If none are available, the results are what is in stock at your closest stores.

Only the dealer has access to the back end channel to the manufacturer. This is used to fulfill allocations, report sold cars (RDR or Retail Delivery Report), and other things.

Dan Passe, who is head of Nissan USA Media Relations (I think I got that right) confirmed a few weeks ago there will be no pre-orders.

MARLEY

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 RAM 1500 Laramie
Occupation
US Coast Guard
I've read somewhere that auto manufacturing should start ramping up of winter as the supply chains should become less of an issue. Can't remember where I saw it but hopefully it's true.

Also, I can't see them adding a $20k ADM, that would price the car way out of its league and there'd be no reason to get it over competitors in that price range. Maybe $10k ADM.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
Occupation
Freeloader
Wasn't the supra a flop ? Mainly due to lack of manual transmission (massive mistake by Toyota in my opinion)
It depends on how you define "flop". Sales wise it has already surpass the A80.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Wasn't the supra a flop ? Mainly due to lack of manual transmission (massive mistake by Toyota in my opinion)
Not sure if it is a flop or not, but their sales have been up in the last two years. 2019 sold 2.8K units; 2020 sold 5.8K units; and Sept 2021 5.3K units in USA. The BMW Z4 sold 937 units (i.e. <1K) so far in 2021 and they did better in previous years. You can make an argument that Toyota took the branding and engineering of one of the world's most prestigious sport car maker and stamp it with the "toyota reliability" moniker to potentially stomp-out the Z4 car. If the statistical trend continues, it will be evident that Toyota got the upper hand. And if Toyota provide MT, which is readily available/adaptable for the B58 engine, it will make the Supra even more desirable for enthusiast.

As far as MT vs AT goes, IIRC there was a poll on here that shows about a 50/50 split. We often think that only gearheads buy sports cars - NO! People with money buy sport cars. And many millionaires and billionaires buy AT super and megacars!!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Evenflow80

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z, Honda Civic SI
Not sure if it is a flop or not, but their sales have been up in the last two years. 2019 sold 2.8K units; 2020 sold 5.8K units; and Sept 2021 5.3K units in USA. The BMW Z4 sold 937 units (i.e. <1K) so far in 2021 and they did better in previous years. You can make an argument that Toyota took the branding and engineering of one of the world's most prestigious sport car maker and stamp it with the "toyota reliability" moniker to potentially stomp-out the Z4 car. If the statistical trend continues, it will be evident that Toyota got the upper hand. And if Toyota provide MT, which is readily available/adaptable for the B58 engine, it will make the Supra even more desirable for enthusiast.

As far as MT vs AT goes, IIRC there was a poll on here that shows about a 50/50 split. We often think that only gearheads buy sports cars - NO! People with money buy sport cars. And many millionaires and billionaires buy AT super and megacars!!
Thanks man. Totally get how some people prefer automatic, just boggles my mind because its so much fun to manually shift on a sports car like this

supraboi

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GS300
I think people are severely overestimating the hype. We only have 700ish members here, the other forum has much less. Obviously the vast majority of society don't hang out on internet forums but... compared to social interest in other vehicles we're tiny.
Yup, the Z1 Motorsports facebook group for the new Z has a little over 20k members.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Also good to keep in mind that not everyone on this forum, or in ^ that FB group, will convert to buyers - whether that be immediately upon announcement, or at any point down the road. Could be for a variety of reasons, whether they buy something else, change mind, something happens, whatever.

Believe I voiced it in another thread, but I think Nissan added some padding to the availability date to help counter the current headaches plaguing the industry and get as many made as possible. That, combined with limited options of what we can get, should help reduce some variables. I have no evidence for this, but it's the most logical reason I can think of—I'm sure they're anxious to get it out as soon as they can. Am inclined to agree that our fussing in here over availability is indeed reinforcing our worst fears and may not translate to reality.

For example, the 2022 BRZ was announced via presser July and is now available to reserve (in September). 2022 GTI/Golf R, announced July available "Q4 2021." The 2022 Subaru "My God, What Have you Done to It?!" WRX—while originally scheduled to be announced in August, went up this month, available "early 2022." All, for the most part, pretty similar timelines. Some quicker than others, but considering this car was (officially) revealed August, available in the spring, is a bit wider of a gap.

tl;dr - I think we'll be fine. "Spring 2022" is ~6 months away. We gotta stop driving ourselves up a wall over stuff like this and manufacturing things to worry about until they're something to actually worry about.

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
Yeah you can't really go by how many forum members. In my case I post on a Camaro, Mustang, Supra and several Challenger forums as well as this one. I'm still trying to decide which car to get although I did order a Scat Pack. I'll more than likely go through with it, but having my doubts as the factory keeps closing and I will soon be beyond the 30 days past my estimated delivery time, which I heard may be an excuse to get the deposit back. I was counting on the 0% interest for 72 months as well and if they discontinue that before my car arrives, it may be the deal breaker. Or I could just buy it and try to sell it at a profit with the current crazy used market prices...

tractng

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 RDX, 2016 Miata
Occupation
Systems Admin
Just like the dealers will tell you it will sell like hotcakes or sells itself.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
i'm number 11 in the queue at a small, but high volume dealer that anticipates getting 3 to 6 z's to begin with.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
People said the same about C8 in 2019 .. "demand will subside soon in a few months afterward."
Yet, after nearly two years.... still long wait list.
I see a similar trend with new Z.
Once the new Zs is seen on the streets, more demand will be stirred up.
400hp for $40k. (new Z)
500hp for $60k. (C8)
Both are good deals these days.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
It's been said before, but I do not think comparing the two is a fair one to make. Vastly different audiences, entirely different levels of car, all that.

Chevrolet, similar to Ford w/ the Bronco, greatly underestimated demand too, no?

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
People said the same about C8 in 2019 .. "demand will subside soon in a few months afterward."
Yet, after nearly two years.... still long wait list.
I see a similar trend with new Z.
Once the new Zs is seen on the streets, more demand will be stirred up.
400hp for $40k. (new Z)
500hp for $60k. (C8)
Both are good deals these days.
When was the last time you saw a $60k stickered Vette? ?