Driving Z in the winter?

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
I plan to daily drive my Z and we can get quite a bit of snow up here in a Canada. I watched some of the reviews and most said the Z is a little more tail happy than other cars. Do you think this is something to worry about with good winter tires and also having a LSD with the performance model?

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
As long as you have winter tires you will be fine. Only issue will be ground clearance. I've driven many rwd cars in winter with winter tires and common sense.

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
It’s all about the tires IMO. FYI i have been in the tire business for over 35 years.
Would you reccommend studded,
As long as you have winter tires you will be fine. Only issue will be ground clearance. I've driven many rwd cars in winter with winter tires and common sense.
sounds good. I saw the z in person last week and had better clearance than I thought

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
Unless your dealing with lots of ice, I think a good set of winter tires will get you to your destination. No need for studded in my opinion.

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Unless your dealing with lots of ice, I think a good set of winter tires will get you to your destination. No need for studded in my opinion.
Thanks! Also in regards to studded do they limit your ability to drive fast? Say the roads are clear and you want to gun it you probably can’t right?

Longhorn2020

First Name
Jase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
Occupation
Computer engineering
Thanks! Also in regards to studded do they limit your ability to drive fast? Say the roads are clear and you want to gun it you probably can’t right?
Never used studded tires but I would expect them to not be good for performance as they have studs in them. Quality set of winter tires and you will be fine.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
I plan to daily drive my Z and we can get quite a bit of snow up here in a Canada. I watched some of the reviews and most said the Z is a little more tail happy than other cars. Do you think this is something to worry about with good winter tires and also having a LSD with the performance model?
With the right tires and skill, I'd be more concerned about corrosion. For example, in my neck of the woods (Chicagoland), they love salting roads. Winter is like driving through salt water. Depending on vehicle design and corrosion protection, winter driving could take a toll.

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
With the right tires and skill, I'd be more concerned about corrosion. For example, in my neck of the woods (Chicagoland), they love salting roads. Winter is like driving through salt water. Depending on vehicle design and corrosion protection, winter driving could take a toll.
One good thing about where I live is it is dry and they don’t use salt, only gravel. Will defintely get 3M for that

OP
OP

Boulder2023z

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
My first car was a 2005 BMW 325i, I went through multiple snowy winters with an open differential, RWD, and used all-season tires. It was perfectly feasible as long as you didn't drive like a clown 🤣
Just put on some decent snow tires, be a little more careful, and you'll be fine.
Any sandbags in the trunk?

kittens

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none atm
I daily drove a 370Z through Connecticut winters with winter tires it was fine but you must not drive on summers, no grip at all. got stuck in a freak snowstorm in April and had a bad time

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
One good thing about where I live is it is dry and they don’t use salt, only gravel. Will defintely get 3M for that
Was similar for me while living in Colorado. More sand than salt used during winter. For that reason and the more arid climate, Colorado was a playland of older non-rusted vehicles. Although paint/window dings were more of a thing, along with people sliding off the roads.

Chicago is a rust belt nightmare though. I avoid the winter driving salt as much as possible on vehicles I care about. Have had to fight salt corrosion entire time living here. :(

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
I've daily driven my 370Z for the last 3 years I've had it now and I live in PA, US. We get a fair bit of snow from November-March. I got a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3s that I put on in the winter. I've never had to really drive it in deep snow and I wouldn't if it snows more then 2 inches even with winter tires personally. I also got four 50LB sand bags to put in my trunk if I see snow storm on the forecast and I have to drive somewhere, but again I've been fortunate not having to drive through any major snow in my car.

Bottom line, get good winter tires if you daily drive and encounter snow.

Z hope

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura
Occupation
Retired
I would talk to people in your area and see what they have to say. Studded tires in that size? Not sure about that.