West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
What in the heck!
Did a quick search on car sales here in Aus . The most expensive Rav I could find was 67k in AUS $$$
What is going on in the US, that’s disgusting. Seriously if I was Toyota I’d be asking questions. This is hurting their brand and the car manufacturers really need to step in and look at this as it’s ridiculous.
It’s rewarding lazy dealers. They sell one Rav make a packet, the guy in Aust needs to sell 10 to get the same commission…but which is better for the manufacturer?

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'19 Civic Type-R
What in the heck!
Did a quick search on car sales here in Aus . The most expensive Rav I could find was 67k in AUS $$$
What is going on in the US, that’s disgusting. Seriously if I was Toyota I’d be asking questions. This is hurting their brand and the car manufacturers really need to step in and look at this as it’s ridiculous.
It’s rewarding lazy dealers. They sell one Rav make a packet, the guy in Aust needs to sell 10 to get the same commission…but which is better for the manufacturer?
It's not just Toyota. It's across the board. Maybe not always that crazy, but that's Cali for you. As much as I hate ADM, it could be said that in the current market, it's rewarding the salespeople that stick around. There are no cars to sell right now. No inventory = no sales = no commission. A lot of salespeople are leaving because they cant earn. That ADM is helping pad commission, retaint employees, and close the gap in those lost sales numbers due to supply chain failures.

I'm not defending ADM, I just see it's viability right now. I won't pay it. I may miss out but personally, I'm ok w/ that. I'm happy to let someone else overpay to work out the kinks in a new platform.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I don’t like dealerships as much as the next person, but quite frankly, if someone is “duped” that’s on them.
If banks are robbed, that's on them.

If someone gets hit because someone ran a red light, that's on them.

No, there's still a place for ethics and concern for others in this world.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I agree if the ADM is clearly printed on the invoice sheet/window sticker, it's on the buyer to take the bait or not. It's nuts here in the States for any new car nowadays! That dealer rep Shawn interviewed by @Stevewithaz will get inundated with calls for reservations, asking only $5K over MSRP, let's see if he comes through.

For the specific Performance or Nismo exterior/interior color I want probably has to wait a bit unfortunately.

Last edited:

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
What in the heck!
As @Eric48 said, it isn't just Toyota. I have a neighbor whose wife is pregnant with their second, so they need a minivan (his words, not mine). He paid 15K ADM for a Kia Sedona.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
It's not just Toyota. It's across the board. Maybe not always that crazy, but that's Cali for you. As much as I hate ADM, it could be said that in the current market, it's rewarding the salespeople that stick around. There are no cars to sell right now. No inventory = no sales = no commission. A lot of salespeople are leaving because they cant earn. That ADM is helping pad commission, retaint employees, and close the gap in those lost sales numbers due to supply chain failures.

I'm not defending ADM, I just see it's viability right now. I won't pay it. I may miss out but personally, I'm ok w/ that. I'm happy to let someone else overpay to work out the kinks in a new platform.
Do they not get paid a decent retainer?
In Aus they get a retainer …and it has to meet a Australian minimum wage…I’m guessing they would beat it because at the moment we have a huge worker shortage

Captain Drew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Subaru WRX
In my opinion, ADM isn't an ethics issue because the free market exists. When it becomes an ethics issue is when people are signing up and being promised no ADM and when the car comes, suddenly ADM appears. Having worked at a dealership, this 100% happens and is why I always see salesmen as scummy. With that being said, first batch owners are going for the prestige and are not worried about first MY issues anyways. I'm happily content waiting for the bugs to be worked out.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
In my opinion, ADM isn't an ethics issue because the free market exists. When it becomes an ethics issue is when people are signing up and being promised no ADM and when the car comes, suddenly ADM appears. Having worked at a dealership, this 100% happens and is why I always see salesmen as scummy. With that being said, first batch owners are going for the prestige and are not worried about first MY issues anyways. I'm happily content waiting for the bugs to be worked out.
Exactly on point, and my concern! It's those buyers that were promised some low ADM or MSRP, then when arrived the dealer presents a different price, that's the issue.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
IMO it's price fixing. There's good reason why ADM is outlawed in most countries. I do agree though, consumers enable it.
If it’s price fixing then every dealer would have the exact same ADM on every vehicle…

The dealership is making a business decision to charge ADM. It could hurt or help them. In the long term that’s for them to decide.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Which is a different scenario. Dealers can get away with that kind of stuff today, but who knows in the future. With social media they need to be careful to not tarnish their reputation. When supply catches up, that dealer may not have any more customers. The dealership model today is antiquated and probably going to go away in the near future. Car buying is a horrible experience most times.

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
The dealerships can kick rocks if they think I'm going to pay a crazy amount over msrp. I'm sure they'll still sell but I'll just take my business elsewhere.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
If it’s price fixing then every dealer would have the exact same ADM on every vehicle…

The dealership is making a business decision to charge ADM. It could hurt or help them. In the long term that’s for them to decide.
In Australia it is a price fixing thing. All dealers sell for the same price so they have to work harder to win your business, and have to sell more cars for the company to make money for the manufacturer and themselves.

There is a built in dealer delivery, and up to each salesman if he wants to take less of that to give you a cheaper price, they may also bend on a trade in, or do deals for after market stuff like paint protection…but the actual car stays the same and they can not charge over it ….it is actually good, and I don’t see any of the salesmen driving crappy cars

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
I’m ok with waiting to get at least close to the specs I want, but $5k is tops on ADM, period.

City911Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E36, Mk7 Golf TDI(2), JL Wrangler, S30 Datsun
Occupation
Don't buy them it's hard to say I want one but stop buying marked up vehicles. Nissan cannot afford to screw this up and we are what controls the prices if we stop demanding then they will suffer and need us rather then them 40k mark upping cars the same thing with the bronco and the new frontier stop buying and force them to comply I would like to complete build my 400. But Nissan doesn't allow you to build your cars why not everyone else does.