First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi S6
Occupation
Trade Compliance
I might get shot down for this suggestion, but years ago I drove a HSV Monaro (in Australia) with a 5.7L V8 and a heavy 6 speed ZF manual transmission. I dealt with the twitchiness in heavy stop start traffic by using second gear rather than first. Car had plenty of power and it just made it so much more manageable in peak hour.
Don't know how much the clutch would have liked that... No judgement though. Manual sports cars just aren't made for traffic... so we do what we need to do to get by.

Hammo25

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi A5
Don't know how much the clutch would have liked that... No judgement though. Manual sports cars just aren't made for traffic... so we do what we need to do to get by.
Yep. I expect you are correct.

Twizzty

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
It's not that we can't shift fast enough, here is a great video explaining why the auto's are so much quicker now.

OP
OP

Duchess

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi S6
Occupation
Trade Compliance
It's not that we can't shift fast enough, here is a great video explaining why the auto's are so much quicker now.

That makes so much more sense. Thank you my dude. 🤘

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Manual sports cars just aren't made for traffic
Never had any issue daily* driving my manual 200sx. :)
(* Being self-employed and working from home means there are days were I don't need to go out, so the car isn't driven every day".)

here is a great video explaining why the auto's are so much quicker now
Yes, they're quicker if all you need to do is pointlessly shove your foot to the floor for a fast 0-60 time, but in any real world driving they don't, and can't, always pick the correct gear to use for the current circumstances.

Twizzty

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
...Yes, they're quicker if all you need to do is pointlessly shove your foot to the floor for a fast 0-60 time, but in any real world driving they don't, and can't, always pick the correct gear to use for the current circumstances.
I agree, but neither can a "manual man" always pick the correct gear for their situation...example money shift! :)

My Mustang GT A10 was stupid fast 0-60 in the high 3 seconds and 1/4 mile went 11.9 @118 stock but was painfully boring to daily. Paddle shifting got old real quick on the street but it was fun on a road course, felt like a really really slow F1 car would I imagine. Fast forward and my Camaro SS 1LE MT is slower 0-60 and 1/4 mile by busses but the driver engagement when you're DD'ing it is amazing(even in traffic) and it's 9 seconds a lap faster around Daytona International then the Mustang was. That's so much faster around a road course it's crazy!

Well that's my real world experiences in the last few years with performance Auto's vs. Manuals. YMMV

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
I agree, but neither can a "manual man" always pick the correct gear for their situation...example money shift! :)
They can if they're a competent driver ... which any race driver should be once they've had practice time on a new track.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
it would be really cool if nissan secretly planned to compete in 3 tiers against toyota. hear me out...

Z sport vs gr86/brz
Z performance vs 2.0 zupr4
Z nismo vs 3.0 zupr4 premium

in which the nismo would have more hp, better tires and aero. it would beat the 3.0 zupr4 in 0-60, quarter mile and autocross

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISMO Z

The point he doesn't mention is that the automatics have a larger number of gears. Using his example a mustang gt 5.0 manual is a six speed and the automatic a 10 speed. So assuming the automatic isn't going to be geared significantly higher in final drive, the ratio's and gaps are going to be different. :) Same for the Porsche, 6 versus 8. Probably why the gap is lower. :)

Twizzty

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
The point he doesn't mention is that the automatics have a larger number of gears. Using his example a mustang gt 5.0 manual is a six speed and the automatic a 10 speed. So assuming the automatic isn't going to be geared significantly higher in final drive, the ratio's and gaps are going to be different. :) Same for the Porsche, 6 versus 8. Probably why the gap is lower. :)
Agreed and you'd think in the real world it would be a lot closer when driving them back to back.

I was dealing with "headgastetgate" on my focus RS back in 2018 and wanted a gen 3 coyote mustang to replace it, only real choice was the Mt82 or 10R80 so I drove both extensively back to back.(dealer had both on the lot, good times) Even with 3.15's in the rear the A10 was lightyears faster off the line and kept the engine in the power band so much better then the 6sp could. The real world difference was staggering and led to me choosing the auto in a performance car for the first time ever. This changed sports car buying forever for me, I now go and drive both to see what trans fit's my current car needs. I also just don't assume the auto is shit because they're pretty dam good now.

Twizzty

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
They can if they're a competent driver ... which any race driver should be once they've had practice time on a new track.
You should tell that to Charles Leclerc, the F1 driver that made mistake in the lead and cost himself the French Grand Prix this weekend. :) The fact is you are going to make more mistakes on track vs just street driving as you're pushing the car way harder in every sense...I'm sure you know this though.

Reactions: Mud

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ I don't know about "more mistakes", but they're certainly "bigger" mistakes due to the speed, being on public view, etc.

Twizzty

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
^ I don't know about "more mistakes", but they're certainly "bigger" mistakes due to the speed, being on public view, etc.
I agree the mistakes can absolutely be bigger, like putting all 4 wheels off the track but you do everything you can to avoid those big ones. I was talking about the little mistakes like not apexing the corner just right because you're carrying to much speed or missing an upshift when you're making a pass, ext. The small stuff that just inevitably happens to ruin your best laps on a road course. I missed 2 upshifts(both into 3rd) last month at Sebring and I'm still thinking about them, can't remember the last time I missed an upshift into 3rd on the street.

The auto boxes make less of theses and that's all they need to do, not be perfect just less mistakes then a person would make.

Last edited: