Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Edit again: I have no clue what this car will end up being :p
The new Integra is not a replacement for the Acura ILX compact sedan—which departs after the '22 model year—the brand chief says. But it is an addition to the existing lineup that does seem to fill the segment gap with a much more exciting entrant. That means there's still a slot available for a small sedan, although no word as of yet whether Acura will fill it once the ILX dies.
Edit: I'm pretty much bursting my own bubble here, but from what I'm reading on Civ X it does seem like it may be a sedan after all :(
Everyone, this maps onto Acura's plan, which others have posted prior.

• It'll be a 4-door, not the coupe we all want.
• It'll be a hybrid, but sporty nonetheless.
• An ITR is out of the question while the CTR exists on American shores.
• It'll be an Integra Type-S sporty hybrid sedan for $40K.
I took the '86 light image along with a sedan and this is what I got:

1628894475711.png

But the coupe lines up as well which makes sense given that they just shrink the doors on the sedan and cram them in there, so now I'm not really sure what to think...

1628894995545.png

That looks more like 4 door sedan than a compact coupe. :(
I hope this won't be a reskinned Civic sedan lol.
From everything that I've read today most online publications are thinking coupe. I don't think I've heard one mention of sedan other than on forums. My first thought when I saw the drone silhouette was Camaro. I think they were just going for this somewhat exaggerated, long door coupe with the lights.

Here's something I did really quick to show you what I mean...

1628893043680.png

Here's a video of the drone footage. The Integra reveal basically starts around 2:50 which shows an '86 morph into the new one:

Last edited:

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
https://www.motortrend.com/news/acura-integra-returns-2022-preview/

The Acura Integra Is Coming Back and “Will Live Up to the Hype”

Acura is tired of being asked when it will bring back the Integra sport compact, which hasn't been sold here since 2001. The answer, announced during Monterey Car Week and the festivities leading up to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance: The Acura Integra, one of the two cars that helped launch the Acura brand back in 1986, is making a huge comeback in 2022. It will very likely debut as a 2023 model.

Honda's luxury brand used drones to break the news in the night sky over Pebble Beach. The lights of the drone depicted what appears to be a compact two-door hatch, though with its boxy profile and pop-up headlights, we think this was more of a stylized homage to the original '80s Integra two-door (a four-door was also offered during the Integra's near-20-year run).

A teaser image and video (at the top of this story and above) show a more modern Acura visage with pointy headlights and the brand's signature pentagonal grille. We particularly dig the '90s-retro "INTEGRA" lettering debossed in the bumper cover just beneath the headlight—it's a sweet touch.

MotorTrend tried to get more information from Acura brand officer Jon Ikeda, who was the one who confirmed that the automaker is tired of people asking for the Integra's return and elaborated on how it decided to make the new Integra happen.

The Acura Integra's Return Has Been In Works For Six Years
Actually, the decision to bring the Integra was made about six years ago, Ikeda confesses. He would not say what platform it uses, where it will be built, or much other detail. But it is expected to be electrified to some extent—that is the future of Acura. It will likely be a hybrid as opposed to a pure EV. And it will be fun to drive, which would be appropriate, given the Integra's historical DNA.

Oh, and while the original Integra was not all-wheel drive—it was instead a very smart-handling front-driver—we expect the 2022 Integra to be AWD. We assume that, like previous Integras, the new one will be a compact, sporty vehicle; possibly it will be a coupe, though we're purely speculating at this point.

The right time to bring it back is now, Ikeda says, as Acura works to return to its roots as a performance brand and has been expanding its Type S offerings (TLX, MDX, and now the NSX). And there will be a hole in the halo category with the 2022 NSX Type S capping the current NSX sports car's run as the brand's performance north star. After the Type S, no more NSX.

It's Gonna Be Good

Brand aficionados specifically and car enthusiasts generally remember Integra and there are good feelings behind it, Ikeda says. The new Integra should bring people into the brand, both new customers, and the nostalgic. "It will live up to the hype," Ikeda notes.
The new Integra is not a replacement for the Acura ILX compact sedan—which departs after the '22 model year—the brand chief says. But it is an addition to the existing lineup that does seem to fill the segment gap with a much more exciting entrant. That means there's still a slot available for a small sedan, although no word as of yet whether Acura will fill it once the ILX dies.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
https://www.motortrend.com/news/acura-integra-returns-2022-preview/

The Acura Integra Is Coming Back and “Will Live Up to the Hype”

Acura is tired of being asked when it will bring back the Integra sport compact, which hasn't been sold here since 2001. The answer, announced during Monterey Car Week and the festivities leading up to the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance: The Acura Integra, one of the two cars that helped launch the Acura brand back in 1986, is making a huge comeback in 2022. It will very likely debut as a 2023 model.

Honda's luxury brand used drones to break the news in the night sky over Pebble Beach. The lights of the drone depicted what appears to be a compact two-door hatch, though with its boxy profile and pop-up headlights, we think this was more of a stylized homage to the original '80s Integra two-door (a four-door was also offered during the Integra's near-20-year run).

A teaser image and video (at the top of this story and above) show a more modern Acura visage with pointy headlights and the brand's signature pentagonal grille. We particularly dig the '90s-retro "INTEGRA" lettering debossed in the bumper cover just beneath the headlight—it's a sweet touch.

MotorTrend tried to get more information from Acura brand officer Jon Ikeda, who was the one who confirmed that the automaker is tired of people asking for the Integra's return and elaborated on how it decided to make the new Integra happen.

The Acura Integra's Return Has Been In Works For Six Years
Actually, the decision to bring the Integra was made about six years ago, Ikeda confesses. He would not say what platform it uses, where it will be built, or much other detail. But it is expected to be electrified to some extent—that is the future of Acura. It will likely be a hybrid as opposed to a pure EV. And it will be fun to drive, which would be appropriate, given the Integra's historical DNA.

Oh, and while the original Integra was not all-wheel drive—it was instead a very smart-handling front-driver—we expect the 2022 Integra to be AWD. We assume that, like previous Integras, the new one will be a compact, sporty vehicle; possibly it will be a coupe, though we're purely speculating at this point.

The right time to bring it back is now, Ikeda says, as Acura works to return to its roots as a performance brand and has been expanding its Type S offerings (TLX, MDX, and now the NSX). And there will be a hole in the halo category with the 2022 NSX Type S capping the current NSX sports car's run as the brand's performance north star. After the Type S, no more NSX.

It's Gonna Be Good

Brand aficionados specifically and car enthusiasts generally remember Integra and there are good feelings behind it, Ikeda says. The new Integra should bring people into the brand, both new customers, and the nostalgic. "It will live up to the hype," Ikeda notes.
Was just about to edit my post with this lol

That last part is important...

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
Was just about to edit my post with this lol

That last part is important...

Honestly a sedan only Integra would be such a disappointment. Sadly I can totally see Honda half assing it. Prove me wrong Honda! :p

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honestly a sedan only Integra would be such a disappointment. Sadly I can totally see Honda half assing it. Prove me wrong Honda! :p
I agree about it being disappointing if it's sedan only. Not for very long, but the Integra was originally offered as a 3-door only.

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
I agree about it being disappointing if it's sedan only. Not for very long, but the Integra was originally offered as a 3-door only.
I didn't know that. I'm not a Honda except by any means. Well who decided on that should have been slapped in the face. This car should be like the RSX, coupe only please.

SS727Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SS
May be a 4 door option as well.. but forsure gonna be a 2 door. There is no longer a coupe option for the civic so this fills the void nicely. It will likely have an auto and maybe even SH-AWD to further differentiate itself.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
This is Honda we're talking about. No way are they going to make it heavy, hybrid only, and more expensive then it needs to be.

Both the CRZ and NSX were such sales hits! So much so that Honda just couldn't keep up with the demand so they just decided to end production early.

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
This is Honda we're talking about. No way are they going to make it heavy, hybrid only, and more expensive then it needs to be.

Both the CRZ and NSX were such sales hits! So much so that Honda just couldn't keep up with the demand so they just decided to end production early.
That's exactly what I am afraid of. Freaking Honda refusing to learn from past sins.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
May be a 4 door option as well.. but forsure gonna be a 2 door. There is no longer a coupe option for the civic so this fills the void nicely. It will likely have an auto and maybe even SH-AWD to further differentiate itself.
So there are two competing narrative I'm reading online.

1. Civic sedan only = Integra sedan only (Cost and R&D savings)
2. Civic sedan only and Integra couple only (Slightly different audience / less sales cannibalization)

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater

Ignore the bad rendering, but potential spy shots here

this pic looks like a celica gts had a baby with a 2g eclipse and a lexus was the surrogate mother...

Last edited: