First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
86 Hakone, '18 Tundra 4x4, '15 4Runner Trail
Occupation
Veterinary practice managing partner
Do you have a pic? I haven't been a fan of BMW interior designs anyway starting with the E90 3 Series. It just got so avant garde.
No, I don't, but I did notice it in the Grassroots Motorsport media review Youtube vid I watched today...the owner pic was much worse

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I think the issue with comparing the Z interior to the Supra's is the fact that its actually a BMW interior we're comparing to. But, if we're comparing expected $$ of the Z versus the competition, then it would be a fair comparison. Unfortunately, like all Nissans (even the GTR) there will be rattles and odd noises (like the shifter clicks on the 370z) that will get alot of the reviewers to give the Z negative ratings.

All Nissan needs to do to "up the ante" on the interior is take out some of the cheap parts (door handles, vents) and put in aluminum, CF etc, to compete. But, thatll push the Z into Q60 territory in terms of price/interior quality. Just makes the seats better on this Z (like B9 S4, or 370z nismo Recaro like).

1/4atatime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver 370z 2018
Anyone see that the Supra is testing with a new engine capable of 500hp supposedly. https://www.motor1.com/news/446042/toyota-supra-s58-testing-report/ If they put that in the Supra and keep the price the same that could spell trouble for Nissan especially if the pricing is in the upper 40k range. If I'm the average buyer I might think that the manual transmission in the Z is cool however I'm not going to ignore the fact that I can get a 500hp Supra for a little more.

Speedanimal

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rx8, Xterra
Occupation
Engineer
How could they possibly keep the price the same? It’s going to be another price hike if they add that engine option.

I really think if the 400Z wants to take control then Nissan has to keep the base in the 30s.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
How could they possibly keep the price the same? It’s going to be another price hike if they add that engine option.

I really think if the 400Z wants to take control then Nissan has to keep the base in the 30s.
The pricing won't be the same as the current gen Z, but it definitely shouldn't drastically increase in price. Yes they're going to have a TTV6 engine and other new interior upgrades but you have to remember these are not new technologies. Nissan did not have to nor could they afford to spend hundreds of millions in R&D to create this car. These are already existing technologies being taken from current Nissan/Infiniti cars and being put into the new Z. So since there wasn't a huge R&D cost needed to create this new Z, the price should stay down. Now, realistically they probably can't and won't keep the base price at $30k. I can see the base price of the new Z starting around $35k. With options/packages I can see it pricing to around $45k. That would leave the new Z Nismo being around $55k most likely.

Speedanimal

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rx8, Xterra
Occupation
Engineer
So one thing should be certain, it needs to be cheaper than a Red Sport. The Q50 RS starts at ~$55k.

So subtract some overall luxury, and hopefully subtract a lot of money in development fees (since there is lots of reuse).

I think that $45k isn’t far off.
Truthfully I think the base model needs to be in the 30s. That undercuts the Supra for a few grand. Price the Nismo in at 50 or just under and you’ve undercut the Supra everywhere.

1/4atatime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver 370z 2018

Masterhowes

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mk7 GTI APR Stage 2
Occupation
US Air Force
I feel there is some fine print on that statement. Let's say it does start under 40k it will almost certainly be the 300hp version of the vr30 which makes it a terrible value why buy the new one with less HP for more money?
You’ll have to figure in that they are not only competing with the Supra (which is way overpriced), but also the Ford Mustang GT and Chevrolet Camero, along with a higher horse powered BRZ/86 if that comes out. They are using a platform and powertrain that they already have, so not much R&D. They also want to these to sell like hot cakes. My prediction is that the base hp and price will be 400hp and around $35k. $35k is $5k up from the 370z starting price, but undercuts the Supra (6 potter) significantly. $35k also puts them in direct competition with the American manufacturers. My prediction:

$35k Base Price
Gets consumers behind the wheel and moves units
No power seats, minimal safety technology, smaller wheels, less premium interior (plastic and more plastic), etc.

$45k with full upgrades and options
Wheels, carbon fiber, premium interior materials (leather, wood, aluminum etc.) exhaust, safety technology. T-top/sunroof. Stereo system.

$50k starting Price for Nismo
Nismo Body kit, more carbon fiber, higher hp/torque, Nismo wheels, performance parts

1/4atatime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver 370z 2018
You’ll have to figure in that they are not only competing with the Supra (which is way overpriced), but also the Ford Mustang GT and Chevrolet Camero, along with a higher horse powered BRZ/86 if that comes out. They are using a platform and powertrain that they already have, so not much R&D. They also want to these to sell like hot cakes. My prediction is that the base hp and price will be 400hp and around $35k. $35k is $5k up from the 370z starting price, but undercuts the Supra (6 potter) significantly. $35k also puts them in direct competition with the American manufacturers. My prediction:

$35k Base Price
Gets consumers behind the wheel and moves units
No power seats, minimal safety technology, smaller wheels, less premium interior (plastic and more plastic), etc.

$45k with full upgrades and options
Wheels, carbon fiber, premium interior materials (leather, wood, aluminum etc.) exhaust, safety technology. T-top/sunroof. Stereo system.

$50k starting Price for Nismo
Nismo Body kit, more carbon fiber, higher hp/torque, Nismo wheels, performance parts
Not sure where you are seeing that the base will get 400hp. It won't I guarantee it. That's why I'm saying this car is a terrible value. Prices have already leaked for it and they are not that great.

â—Ź Base grade (304ps) /4.5 million yen
â—Ź Version S (304ps) / 5 million yen
â—Ź Version T (304ps) / 5 million yen
â—Ź Version ST (405ps) / 6 million yen
â—Ź NISMO (405) ~ 450ps) / 7 million yen

Urajiro

First Name
Moch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Here's what I think the only realistic and financially logical way to price the Z:

The Z car is and has always been known as an affordable sports car that is obtainable by any enthusiast. They even said this in the Z Proto livestream reveal. That being said I believe if the new Z was more than $45k INCLUDING options, it would not be successful in todays market. I see the new Z competing mainly against the likes of the Mustang GT and the Supra. Starting at under $40k you get great V8 performance from the Mustang GT. But of course the head to head will be with the Supra.

The 6-cyclinder Supra ranges from $50-55k. If the new Z was in that price range it would need to be a better all-around car for it to beat the Supra in sales. This means, when a consumer is looking at buying one of the two, they're comparing which has better performance, better styling/design, better interior finish, and better driving experience. Let's break down each of these segments:

-Performance: the new 2021 Supra now has 382HP. The new Z is rumored to have 400HP. Yes that is 18hp more but we also don't know how much the new Z will weigh. If it weighs more than the Supra, that extra hp becomes negligible.
-Styling/Design: the new Z will be heavily based upon the Z Proto as they said it is over 90% production ready. Based on online reviews and outpouring criticisms from enthusiasts, the styling seems to be on the fence for a lot of people. Some love it, some hate it. Some like most of the new design, but hate other parts of it and vice-versa.
-Interior: the new Z has a much nicer, more modern interior compared to the current generation, but is it nice enough compared to the Supra? Yes the Supra has a BMW interior, but regardless it is still a nice interior.
-Driving Experience: manual option. This is the one category that the new Z has the definite advantage in. I think any enthusiast will agree the new Z wins in this segment.

Other things to take into account is the fact that Sports cars sales have been dwindling drastically in recent time. If the current gen Z is priced at ~$30k starting, ~$40k with full options and still barely selling in today's market, why would they put out the next gen Z that is a whole $10k over? Yes, there are improvements to the new Z, however I don't see those improvements equating to a ~$50k+ price tag. I can see the new Z Nismo starting at $50-55k, but not the regular gen Z.

If they're smart, they'll put out the next gen Z starting at an undercutting price around $35k and optioning out to around $45k. Why? Because undercutting the current market competitors will almost force consumers to go with the new Z. At the end of the day price is what ultimately determines the cars we buy and having a great performing, modernized, refined sports car at an unbeatable price would dominate the market.
planning to buy one but if they get crazy with the price there’s plenty more options to get for a bit more like a vette or Camaro.