1st Gen Mazda MX-5 Miata (NA) - I bought one! 😁

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Yes, but the car has been in development for much longer than that.

it was based on a 370z mostly already developed.

An how much earlier did they start development? It's unknown.

Their reveal was in January…the Z was in August 21, 5 months earlier than the 86

A bit impossible to set a price for anything these days. Everything is going up almost daily. :(
Nissan could say the price is "$50", but by the time it reaches showrooms it could cost $60, and they can't be expected to eat that price difference themselves.
Don’t see why…they released the Japanese price, and the Qashqai Aus price even though it’s supposed to be arriving after the Z

none of these excuses account for the lack of correspondence to those who have put deposits down

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
none of these excuses account for the lack of correspondence to those who have put deposits down
There's an embargo on details. They can't just tell Joe Public because someone would simply post it everywhere ... as you already see with any slight rumour on here.

Yes, it's frustrating for some people, but trying to pin blame with no idea what's going on "behind the scenes" is rather silly. As for putting deposits down on something that doesn't even exist yet simply to be "I'm first!", that's rather silly and maybe they've learnt their lesson for next time - hopefully they can actually get 100% of their deposit back if they've change their mind, but that's not always the case thanks to "no refund" legalese small print.

Apple announced their new Mac Pro desktop computer about two years ago, and it still hasn't got any actual details yet and is meant to be due by the end of this year. Apple announced a wireless charging pad, which failed to appear and then was "de-announced" when Apple later dropped the product completely (although rumours say they are still working on it).

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
There's an embargo on details. They can't just tell Joe Public because someone would simply post it everywhere ... as you already see with any slight rumour on here.

Yes, it's frustrating for some people, but trying to pin blame with no idea what's going on "behind the scenes" is rather silly. As for putting deposits down on something that doesn't even exist yet simply to be "I'm first!", that's rather silly and maybe they've learnt their lesson for next time - hopefully they can actually get 100% of their deposit back if they've change their mind, but that's not always the case thanks to "no refund" legalese small print.

Apple announced their new Mac Pro desktop computer about two years ago, and it still hasn't got any actual details yet and is meant to be due by the end of this year. Apple announced a wireless charging pad, which failed to appear and then was "de-announced" when Apple later dropped the product completely (although rumours say they are still working on it).
You miss the point, I’m not talking about breaking an embargo, I’m talking about communicating direct with customers that have already handed their money over about delays, ….did apple take money from people, give them a time frame for delivery and then just forget about them?

it’s not silly to put a deposit down when a company opens their pre orders …and yes 100% refund is available should people wish to do so.
Nissan would really be in a great position then wouldn’t they

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
  • A price can't be announced until the release date.
  • A release date can't be announced until they know about shipping delays (incoming parts and out-going cars), chip shortages, Covid shutdowns, etc. mean for production.
  • etc. etc.
There are numerous factors involved, and each model will even be different (so yes, one car could come through the process quicker than another).

And yes, paying a deposit (even with guaranteed money back) for a car you haven't seen, haven't drive, is rather silly ... it's the "more money than sense" brigade who simply have to be "first". The same sort of fools who queue up outside an Apple or Samsung store to get the first new smartphone model, or outside a cinema to be first to see a movie. :rolleyes:

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
  • A price can't be announced until the release date.
  • A release date can't be announced until they know about shipping delays (incoming parts and out-going cars), chip shortages, Covid shutdowns, etc. mean for production.
  • etc. etc.
There are numerous factors involved, and each model will even be different (so yes, one car could come through the process quicker than another).

And yes, paying a deposit (even with guaranteed money back) for a car you haven't seen, haven't drive, is rather silly ... it's the "more money than sense" brigade who simply have to be "first". The same sort of fools who queue up outside an Apple or Samsung store to get the first new smartphone model, or outside a cinema to be first to see a movie. :rolleyes:
You didn’t answer my question…nor do you still see the point.
finally it’s not about being first in a world where there might not be car availability for a year or two…it’s about securing a car full stop.

you know most people on this forum who can reserve a vehicle have done so….you pretty much just insulted us all

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
You're missing the point. Simply, no company in the world ever releases information until they're good and ready, and no amount of whinging is ever going to change that.

Even if Nissan had announced six months ago that the car would be released on 10 May costing $30, but now had to announce it would be delayed and cost $50, some people would still be pointlessly complaining because they're never going to be satisfied.

it’s about securing a car full stop.
There will be thousands of them on the road in a couple of years time, the problem is that you may not be "the first" ... boo-hoo, first world problems. :rolleyes:

Despite what some people seem to think, getting a new Nissan Z is not a life-and-death issue. It makes zero difference to anything (other than your own ego) if you get it now, next year, five years time, ... or even never.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
The relative cost of maintaining a spot in the queue to get a car in 2 or 3 months rather than 1+ years is minimal - loss of interest on $1000 for what - half a year? - and no downside risk at all, just cancel if the reviews are bad. If you need or want a car sometime soon and this car is likely to meet your standards it seems a no-brainer.

Anyways, it is not as if the new Z is an entirely unknown quantity, it's a revised and apparently seriously improved version of the old 370Z, so if you have driven that you will have some idea of what you are ordering.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Back on topic: The 2022 ND2 with its new Kinematic Posture Control system is definitely on my radar. The biggest issue I have with getting a Z is highlighted in the thread linked below, in which a number of past and present owners of similarly high-powered cars talk about how they find them boring to drive in day-to-day life because their very high performance ceiling just can't be even approached without either driving dangerously and/or opening yourself up to serious legal jeopardy. The Miata, in their experience, is simply more fun because there are far more opportunities to safely hoon it given its much lower limits, and because it doesn't make driving at 60 MPH feel like you are doing 40 but rather that you're going 70+.

I got a sense of what they are saying watching that recent clip of the Toyota engineer driving the Z in Vegas - one stomp on the gas and he was clearly going way past the legal limit in about 3 seconds. I want to see what the reviewers have to say about this issue, I hope they are not being limited to track driving at the event currently underway.

Thoughtful thread, worth a read:

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=755234

OP
OP
LeatherWings

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
...The biggest issue I have with getting a Z is highlighted in the thread linked below
...The Miata, in their experience, is simply more fun because there are far more opportunities to safely hoon it given its much lower limits, and because it doesn't make driving at 60 MPH feel like you are doing 40 but rather that you're going 70+...

Thoughtful thread, worth a read:

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=755234
I hear that. If and when I get a modern sports car, I would like to take it to the track from time to time, but the overwhelmingly vast majority of its life would be spent on the streets & canyons. So it'd be nice to have something that I can really feel like I'm utilizing its capabilities without attracting too much attention from the authorities... and for self-preservation.

And living in LA, it's pretty much year-round, top-down weather. When I test drove the NA, I took it for a spin through the winding, scenic roads of Rancho Palos Verdes - top down, looking over the cliff to the ocean and the setting sun, blasting She Sells Sanctuary on the stereo, I was absolutely sold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LeatherWings

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
Had to get from one side of The Valley to the other during rush hour. So instead of the freeway, I took the scenic route - Mulholland Drive. Was stuck behind a slow SUV at one point, so I pulled into a little parking area right next to this 280Z. I met the owner and chatted with him for a bit. Cool guy!

1652330296947.png

1652330394601.png

1652330425802.png

Last edited: