1st Gen Mazda MX-5 Miata (NA) - I bought one! šŸ˜

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA & ND Miata | Xterra | Honda 919 | Honda Grom
I got tired of waiting. Delays on the 2022 Miata I put in an order for. Apparent delays on the new Z. So I said EFF IT, I'm getting an old Miata!

It's a 1991 1.6L with just under 190k miles, and I picked it up last week for $4k. It's in good, running condition, basically all stock, and the average prices for ones like this in the SoCal area seem to all go for around $6k+ or so.

Untitled-2.jpg

This thing is suuuch a hoot to drive! Yeah, it's slow in a straight line... but who cares! What makes this little thing so fun is zippin' around and throwing it from side to side. I love it.

I've got some minor work to do on the car here n' there, like fix the tears/foam damage in the driver seat, and a few spots where there's some light damage to the
body. But my eventual plan is to wrap this thing in a bright yellow and black. A fun-car like this deserves a fun color! The original silver paint looks fine, but it's just too boring for me. Here's my mockup in GT7...

1650917020803.png

Last edited:

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
a) congrats! you will be VERY happy with your decision, NA's rule. I miss my 97, a lot
b) are you still going to wait for the 2022 to come in, or did you straight up cancel order?
c) might be an initial reaction to the whole situation but now you, alongside the news of the delay on the Z, make me want to go look for an NA. They are insanely easy to work on, and so reliable

EDIT: Just did a quick search, and it looks like you got yours for an absolute steal. Well done

AbhiTheIndian

First Name
Abhi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 S5, '18 Mustang GT, '14 435iX
I've been having thoughts about picking up a Miata for the time being, definitely considering it more now since the Z is delayed further.

OP
OP
LeatherWings

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Until you drive a Miata, esp these early NA and NB lightweights, just can't imagine. Owned a 2004 NB Mazdaspeed, lotsa fun memories, esp corners on rails! Congrats, good findšŸ‘
Thanks! Yeah, the funny thing is that I always knew about Miatas being great inexpensive driver's cars, but I didn't give them too much thought myself... that is, until I started driving them in Gran Turismo and Assetto Corsa, haha. They are consistently some of the most fun cars to drive in the video games (particularly on more technical tracks), and it really got me curious about driving them in real life.

Don't get me wrong, big horsepower is fun too, but there's something so amusing about rippin' it in a small vehicle... That's why I also own a 220-lb, 9-hp Honda Grom! lol

OP
OP
LeatherWings

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a) congrats! you will be VERY happy with your decision, NA's rule. I miss my 97, a lot
b) are you still going to wait for the 2022 to come in, or did you straight up cancel order?
c) might be an initial reaction to the whole situation but now you, alongside the news of the delay on the Z, make me want to go look for an NA. They are insanely easy to work on, and so reliable

EDIT: Just did a quick search, and it looks like you got yours for an absolute steal. Well done
a) Super happy! Can't wait til I get the minor stuff sorted and I can really start driving this thing more. All the YouTube reviewers say you need to drive an old Miata. They were right!

b) I haven't cancelled my order for the 2022 and am still leaning towards getting it. I know the old Miatas are a great platform for modding for more power and track use, but I would kinda like to keep this thing mostly stock and just use it as a fun, nostalgic cruise-mobile.

Part of me thinks: well since I've already got a Miata, 'now' I can get the new Z! But another part of me is like: but the new Miata is just as fun as the old one... and much faster!

c) Totally. My friend was like, "aren't you gonna take it to a mechanic first before you buy it?" I'm like, why? It runs well. If there are any issues that come up, I'll just fix it myself! (after a bunch of googling)

Last edited:
OP
OP
LeatherWings

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
Congrats on that find man!

At this point it seems like the Z is going to only be a pipe dream....especially after today's news. I'm thinking about doing the same...except get the GR86. Then use whatever money I got left over and buy a nice used daily....at around $4k. Just as long as its running good. Lol

OP
OP
LeatherWings

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Congrats on that find man!

At this point it seems like the Z is going to only be a pipe dream....especially after today's news. I'm thinking about doing the same...except get the GR86. Then use whatever money I got left over and buy a nice used daily....at around $4k. Just as long as its running good. Lol
Thanks! Yeah, the new Z seems even more unattainable now :/ I'm still super interested in the reviews once the embargo is lifted, but it just doesn't seem like New Z ownership is in the cards for me. Would definitely be interested in renting one on Turo though if one pops up.

OP
OP
LeatherWings

LeatherWings

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan is losing more and more of us . They royally stuffed up.
86s are already in the show room in Aus
Had they given us solid info and offered pre-orders at MSRP here in the US, I would have been much more willing to place an order and just wait it out for eventual delivery (and maybe still pick up an NA Miata in the meantime) ...But alas, with all this uncertainty, it was time to move on.

Delays suck, but it's more that it's going to be a free-for-all in the Z dealership/marketplace that I'm not down with. Screw thaaat

I've had a Cybertruck preorder since Dec 2019. Sucks to have to wait this long, delay after delay. But at least I know my preorder is in, and I'm in the queue.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
It isn't really Nissan's fault (at least not fully). There has been Covid issues, chip shortages, shipping delays, etc. They may have jumped the gun, but that was partly due to all the whiners complaining that the 370Z was too old.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
It isn't really Nissan's fault (at least not fully). There has been Covid issues, chip shortages, shipping delays, etc. They may have jumped the gun, but that was partly due to all the whiners complaining that the 370Z was too old.
Come onā€¦it really is.
They have known about the chip shortage for over a year, COVIDā€™s been here for almost 2 years ā€¦.if these issues had popped up in the last six moths I could excuse it, but they have been around long enough to partly factor it in.
Toyota has managed to get their cars out.
But thatā€™s not the real issue, Ive said it before Iā€™ll say it againā€¦lack of information.
I donā€™t think people would be as upset if they just kept us updatedā€¦.waiting till the 11th hour and then hiding the news itā€™s been delayed at the bottom of a press release is really not the way to treat your fan base.

Then there is of course the fact that those in Canada and Aus have had deposits in, we trusted the process and were let down ( I knowā€¦you guys in the US would be happy to just have an order in the systemā€¦but still) There is no real prices set for either country, and they have quite a nice little nest egg sitting building interest for the company at a time when us as individuals wouldnā€™t say no to keeping hold of out cash in our own banks and earn some interestā€¦ the only reason Iā€™m not really upset is because the interest rates are absolutely crap in Aus at the moment .
BUT that doesn't really excuse a lack of information, or heads up at whatā€™s going on.

Even with this ā€¦they have all pre order emails on file, a short email outlining why they have been pushed back and an apology, but we will do our best to get things out to you ASAP would go along wayā€¦rather than trying to ignore it and hope people donā€™t notice. Thatā€™s just not good customer relations

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
They have known about the chip shortage for over a year, COVIDā€™s been here for almost 2 years ā€¦.if these issues had popped up in the last six moths I could excuse it, but they have been around long enough to partly factor it in.
Yes, but the car has been in development for much longer than that.

Toyota has managed to get their cars out.
An how much earlier did they start development? It's unknown.

There is no real prices set
A bit impossible to set a price for anything these days. Everything is going up almost daily. :(
Nissan could say the price is "$50", but by the time it reaches showrooms it could cost $60, and they can't be expected to eat that price difference themselves.