Zboy

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
Good quality PPF that is installed correctly should not change the appearance of paint whatsoever.

Yup you absolutely can. I would ceramic coat the wheels as well to make it super easy to clean.
Did not know that. Guess you learn something new everyday lol.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Doing both is best. PPF Full hood, front bumper, mirrors & side skirts. Half on side skirts.
I'm planning on keeping this car a long time. I'm doing both, especially if I end up getting it in black.
Make sure it's a very good installer; bad PPF installs can be easily noticed on black cars; my mirrors had to be wrapped twice due to lifting which was seen after a single wash post PPF install.

I have had PPF on Black, Blue, White & Silver cars. The white looked the worst ( i went with cheapest option around 10 years ago). All the came out really well. Can tell some differences post ceramic coating, but worth it for the added layer of protection provided. I'd rather spend $1200 on PPF then have to repaint and risk color mismatch between body panels.

New Car > Wash/Decon/Polish > PPF Install > Ceramic Coating > Topper

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
When u say doing both u mean ppf then ceramic over top the ppf? Sorry never had this done before.
Yes Sir. First Wash/Polish/compound the paint, apply PPF to areas you want, then ceramic the entire car. It's worth it for the savings during weekly/monthly washes. Washing the car, and letting the water bead and just use leaf blower to remove excess water, then spray ceramic over the car.. Just make sure you don't skimp out on the PPF brand/installer or ceramic coating.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Make sure it's a very good installer; bad PPF installs can be easily noticed on black cars; my mirrors had to be wrapped twice due to lifting which was seen after a single wash post PPF install.
To this point, a very good installer is key - not only to make sure the PPF stays on as intended without defects, but also to ensure that the PPF is of good quality. Crappy PPF with crappy adhesive can actually damage paint. I once saw a video of a reputable detailing shop trying to remove the adhesive from a previous PPF install, and they were having a very difficult time doing so. I'm going to try to find the video and link here.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
There has been a common misconception regarding ceramic coatings.
Ceramic coatings compare to a wax or sealant. Ceramic coatings just lasts a lot longer but it will not offer the same protection as PPF (paint protection film) . Ceramic/wax/sealants do not prevent rock chips, sand pitting or scratches. PPF does just like a screen protector on your phone. You can wax, seal or ceramic coat the film.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
Bumping this older thread up, since there's nothing new to talk about with regards to the Z so I'm doing some mental planning once we finally get one.

With that said, what brands have folks used that have done PPF in the past? XPEL? Found a highly rated installer not too far away, obviously can't get a quote yet but they're currently frontrunner for my business. Might try to reach out to them regardless and say I'm getting a 2023 Z, profile is a bit different than a 370z obviously but what would you quote for that.

Also leaning partial, however given I plan on keeping this car until the end of time, may end up going full. Those who only did partial, any regrets? Those who did full, you feel like it's overkill?

I'm very OCD about keeping car clean and in tip-top shape, so leaning full just for peace of mind, but could be swayed by those with experience.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
Bumping this older thread up, since there's nothing new to talk about with regards to the Z so I'm doing some mental planning once we finally get one.

With that said, what brands have folks used that have done PPF in the past? XPEL? Found a highly rated installer not too far away, obviously can't get a quote yet but they're currently frontrunner for my business. Might try to reach out to them regardless and say I'm getting a 2023 Z, profile is a bit different than a 370z obviously but what would you quote for that.

Also leaning partial, however given I plan on keeping this car until the end of time, may end up going full. Those who only did partial, any regrets? Those who did full, you feel like it's overkill?

I'm very OCD about keeping car clean and in tip-top shape, so leaning full just for peace of mind, but could be swayed by those with experience.
From a very reputable installer you're looking at upwards of $5000 for full coverage at average. If you just want the front bumper and hood, $1500. Full front meaning front bumper, hood, A-pillars, mirrors, $2000. Add the side skirts and doors, $3000.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
From a very reputable installer you're looking at upwards of $5000 for full coverage at average. If you just want the front bumper and hood, $1500. Full front meaning front bumper, hood, A-pillars, mirrors, $2000. Add the side skirts and doors, $3000.
Jesus Christmas - I knew it'd be a lot, but not that much. Appreciate the insight. Might up going the full front route, then, and just continue my diligence on keeping the car clean/covered.